IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

6 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I did jelly boi since he not only distracts, he poisons too. Ask Margit in hell if he ever found an antidote when you see him 💀 

Oh damn I didn't notice that. It is how I cheesed the tree sentinel. I noticed his health ticking down so I just chilled in the starting graveyard building watching him rot away wondering how he got poisoned. 

4 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

@StumpyJohn Look at this beautiful thread that we’ve got, exchanging tips, tricks and know-how. It’s like being back in the primary school playground. I’ve always felt that about these games. Where can I find secret stuff? Ask yer pals.

Oh yeah, absolutely I will, forum is great for that

I love having a huge world to explore in and have had a few really fun moments but am just getting frustrated quite a bit by the mechanics (and dying a lot) both of which are taking the shine off it.  I switched it off last night as trying to swap nicely between sword and bow on my Samurai character was just fucking me off so much and causing me to die repeatedly to fast jumping enemies.  I think if the combat was more like in Witcher 3 I would be really happy with it.

Next question

I've had my game invaded a couple of times by one or more "red bloody fingers" which, of course, made me die and lose loads of runes.  Is that a part of the multiplayer I can switch off or is it just a thing that always happens in certain locations?

Just now, StumpyJohn said:

Next question

I've had my game invaded a couple of times by one or more "red bloody fingers" which, of course, made me die and lose loads of runes.  Is that a part of the multiplayer I can switch off or is it just a thing that always happens in certain locations?

Some of them are hostile NPC's.

It’s most likely those were hostile NPC’s. They’ve usually got interesting lore attached to them that you only glean from like reading item descriptions from their drops and speculating with your pals in the playground.

9 hours ago, Number 28 said:

I wonder how many people go into souls games without knowing about i-frames and rolling? The tutorials might mention roll dodges, but I don't think they explicitly point out that you have a tiny window of invincibility. You soon learn about it if you watch other players, but yeah.

Me. I understand that an i-frame is an invincibility frame... I think?

But how do you know what way to roll if you know what I mean? Like... Let's say every roll has an i-frame - should I be rolling away? Closer? To the side? 

Does it matter?

Sorry if this is basic 101 shit but it's quite overwhelming so forgive me :)

1 minute ago, Simmy said:

Me. I understand that an i-frame is an invincibility frame... I think?

But how do you know what way to roll if you know what I mean? Like... Let's say every roll has an i-frame - should I be rolling away? Closer? To the side? 

Does it matter?

Sorry if this is basic 101 shit but it's quite overwhelming so forgive me :)

You pretty much get killed over and over trying different direction rolls until you find the one that works.

Another Ashes of War question. I have one assigned to my shield called Barricade Shield which as far as I understand should give me the Barricade Shield skill which reinforces my shield, but it appears to have no skill. So now when I press L2 my sword skill activates. And if I duel wield my shield nothing happens. Any ideas what's wrong here?

Edit: Oh brain wave! Do I maybe need a certain amount of DEX/INT or something to allow me to do the skill?

1 minute ago, Simmy said:

All dependent on where the attack is coming from. I just roll into (through) the direction that attacks are coming from. It’s more about timing than anything…

6 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Generally I think the best thing to do is roll towards the attack. This allows you to roll through the attack with the i-frames if you time it right.

4 minutes ago, John0 said:

Another Ashes of War question. I have one assigned to my shield called Barricade Shield which as far as I understand should give me the Barricade Shield skill which reinforces my shield, but it appears to have no skill. So now when I press L2 my sword skill activates. And if I duel wield my shield nothing happens. Any ideas what's wrong here?

Edit: Oh brain wave! Do I maybe need a certain amount of DEX/INT or something to allow me to do the skill?

No you should be able to hit L2 and buff your shield, it glows white. You don't need to dual wield your shield but you sword art wont work unless you dual wield. it's possible that the shield art is not actually equipped.

So in this game you tend to need to roll much later than you think you do - almost as the attack hits, otherwise you’re liable to come out of the roll just as it lands and get clobbered, or be in the recovery animation just as the next attack comes and not be able to dodge it. When you roll, you get a brief period of invincibility: the idea is you roll as the attack connects and instead you won’t get hit. 

Generally it’s best to roll into/towards/around the boss, keeping as close as you can (if you’re melee), purely because constantly rolling away just pushes you further and further back making it harder to actually retaliate and hit the boss, and easier to roll off things, get stuck on things and so on. Rolling into the boss also means many follow up attacks - which are designed to hit people rolling away since that’s your natural reaction - will actually miss instead, going over your head. 

33 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Maybe that's the difference, I've never played a 'souls' game before so I don't have the lived experience of how they work so am getting frustrated quite a lot.  Got to say that my previous feeling that I would not like them has been 100% vindicated.  This is by all accounts the most accessible and easy to get into one yet and I'm on the verge of bouncing right off it

I think if you’ve gone into something expecting to dislike it then there’s a good chance you actually will end up disliking it. 

This is far and away the most accessible of their games because whenever things are going wrong you have a near endless array of options on what to do or go look at next or can just jump on the horse and leg it.  That is not the case in the previous games.

For the mechanics, there are plenty of tips given by the game but, yeah, some of the deeper systems are obscure and awkward and always have been, best is to just ignore them and learn slowly. There is no need to rush anything in this game at all and definitely no need to understand or be able

to do everything. 

4 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

No you should be able to hit L2 and buff your shield, it glows white. You don't need to dual wield your shield but you sword art wont work unless you dual wield. it's possible that the shield art is not actually equipped.

Hmm no definitely cannot do that, I just had a quick double check. Ashes definitely applied. L2 definitely activating my sword skill, and "No skill" when duel wielding shield. Mysterious.

In as few spoilers as possible, what enemy drops the basic [1] shards?

I'm 8 hours in, have been all over the map, got loads of [2], [4], etc shards but not enough basic ones to get to +3 so I can use them!

Oh, and the Jellyfish summon is absolutely amazing, I love him - not even tried the others.

5 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

In as few spoilers as possible, what enemy drops the basic [1] shards?

I'm 8 hours in, have been all over the map, got loads of [2], [4], etc shards but not enough basic ones to get to +3 so I can use them!

Oh, and the Jellyfish summon is absolutely amazing, I love him - not even tried the others.

Spoiler

I got a basic [1] shard from a normal enemy (the kind of frozen rock gargoyles that become active when you get close to them) in the cave that is just north west of the Church of Elleh.  There are a few of the shambling zombie enemies outside of the cave.

Just now, StumpyJohn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I got a basic [1] shard from a normal enemy (the kind of frozen rock gargoyles that become active when you get close to them) in the cave that is just north west of the Church of Elleh.  There are a few of the shambling zombie enemies outside of the cave.

That's a good enough pointer, I activated the lever in there on my first run through so never tried fighting them again. I'll pop back & pay them a visit.

13 minutes ago, John0 said:

Ok I just tested it again (sorry employer) and reequipped the Ashes and now it's working! Lord knows what I was doing wrong before :facepalm:

Awesome, that Ash is amazing, I use it loads.

23 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I think if you’ve gone into something expecting to dislike it then there’s a good chance you actually will end up disliking it. 

This is far and away the most accessible of their games because whenever things are going wrong you have a near endless array of options on what to do or go look at next or can just jump on the horse and leg it.  That is not the case in the previous games.

I think I've come to it with a bit more hope than that, I wouldn't have even bought it otherwise.  I rarely buy anything other than Nintendo games on release normally!

And absolutely agree on the second part, a big part of me trying it is that you can just go and do something else and not be stuck forever on a boss

23 minutes ago, Mike S said:

For the mechanics, there are plenty of tips given by the game but, yeah, some of the deeper systems are obscure and awkward and always have been, best is to just ignore them and learn slowly. There is no need to rush anything in this game at all and definitely no need to understand or be able

to do everything. 

4 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

That's a good enough pointer, I activated the lever in there on my first run through so never tried fighting them again. I'll pop back & pay them a visit.

I've died in there about a dozen times so have killed a fair number of them, the shard has only dropped once or twice IIRC and i've had other items from them too so it may not be a common thing to get from them.  Its the only place I can deffo remember getting one though

45 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

So in this game you tend to need to roll much later than you think you do - almost as the attack hits, otherwise you’re liable to come out of the roll just as it lands and get clobbered, or be in the recovery animation just as the next attack comes and not be able to dodge it. When you roll, you get a brief period of invincibility: the idea is you roll as the attack connects and instead you won’t get hit. 

Generally it’s best to roll into/towards/around the boss, keeping as close as you can (if you’re melee), purely because constantly rolling away just pushes you further and further back making it harder to actually retaliate and hit the boss, and easier to roll off things, get stuck on things and so on. Rolling into the boss also means many follow up attacks - which are designed to hit people rolling away since that’s your natural reaction - will actually miss instead, going over your head. 

Wise advice this. 

I would add though, you don't always need to roll at all. Sometimes sprinting or just walking out of range is just as effective, and indeed running around the back of an enemy is a good way to avoid the attack and a good way to get close enough to attack yourself, and/or get a backstab.

I have a question now - the fragments of the ring which increase HP. Are they temporary consumables?

Just as an FYI for others, because it took me a while to realise (although maybe I was just being stupid). The Golden Runes [1] ([2] etc..) that enemies sometimes drop are consumables that if you use them give you runes ([1] give you 200 for example). I tend to store them up and then use them to top up my runes to allow me to level up and use any runes I am carrying if I am going into a tough battle I am likely to use.

7 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Just as an FYI for others, because it took me a while to realise (although maybe I was just being stupid). The Golden Runes [1] ([2] etc..) that enemies sometimes drop are consumables that if you use them give you runes ([1] give you 200 for example). I tend to store them up and then use them to top up my runes to allow me to level up and use any runes I am carrying if I am going into a tough battle I am likely to use.

You can sell them to the shop too which is what I've been doing. And thanks, I did not realise they can also be 'consumed' 😆

42 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Wise advice this. 

I would add though, you don't always need to roll at all. Sometimes sprinting or just walking out of range is just as effective, and indeed running around the back of an enemy is a good way to avoid the attack and a good way to get close enough to attack yourself, and/or get a backstab.

I have a question now - the fragments of the ring which increase HP. Are they temporary consumables?

Yes.

Question from me, where can I find gravewort [2], all my summons are level 1 but I'd like them to be even hardier?

12 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

There's also a button on the inventory page that allows you to consume multiples of these at the same time, rather than having to watch the animation and go back into the inventory each time. 

As above, there are loads of these around. Grab the horse and run around I to dangerous areas and you'll find loads, and the speed of the horse will get you away from almost everything. I've levelled a few times from doing this.