IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

8 minutes ago, K said:

Yes, sorry, I was being a bit vague. I do mean the bit where you climb the ladder next to the iron maiden things, just after you kill the invader. I got through loads of ladders and ledges, and fought quite a few soldiers with glowing eyes, and eventually got to the bit where you find a torrent jump up to what seems like an extremely hard boss - a crystalline stag beetle thing.

Do I have to defeat that to progress? It feels hard enough that it's optional.

You're on the right track. You can nope away from that fight, there is a rock outcrop thing to the west of that boss fight area that lets you jump over to the manor.

Having gone with a strength build I have recently started using the poison mist incantation to help me defeat some of the more awkward enemies (Draconic Tree Sentinel I am thinking of you). 

Not being used to the magic side of the game though I am finding that when I cast the posion mist it does not always damage the enemy, even though the spell is cast and the mist is swirling around them.  Any clues as to why this is, as I am using up more FP because of it & so having to allocate more flasks than I would like in order to replenish it?

Not specific enemies no. 

What I am finding is that the spell will work first couple of times I use it and then once the enemies health bar has taken a decent hit (halfway down or more), it might take 2 or 3 casts before it will work again???

Hmm, I think I might have messed up my stats.

I initially started out thinking I’d be a STR / DEX build, so kept pumping runes into Health and Stamina, but as things went on I found I liked the quicker katanas, like the Meteoric Ore Blade, so started pumping into INT, which led me to start using magic with my katana, but now my magic meter is really shit and small.

Am I doing it wrong trying to spread across health, stamina, magic, dexterity and intelligence? It’s how I enjoy playing it, but I’m worried I’m spending my points too thin.

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

Hmm, I think I might have messed up my stats.

I initially started out thinking I’d be a STR / DEX build, so kept pumping runes into Health and Stamina, but as things went on I found I liked the quicker katanas, like the Meteoric Ore Blade, so started pumping into INT, which led me to start using magic with my katana, but now my magic meter is really shit and small.

Am I doing it wrong trying to spread across health, stamina, magic, dexterity and intelligence? It’s how I enjoy playing it, but I’m worried I’m spending my points too thin.

Not at all. I'd say the primary stats you should pump until it feels right are vig, mind, end. So you don't die too easily, you've got enough mana to cast what you want, and you can equip the gear you want. 

Put points into str/dex etc until you can wield the gear, the damage gain you get from stats isn't reeeeally needed until very late game or ng*+

You'll have chances to respec if you need or want later. 

Before I ask my specific thing, just wanted to say thanks to all the people answering questions in this thread - it's been really enjoyable to read and I've learned a lot.

My questions a bit woolly, I guess. I'm doing STR/DEX and I've been using the Twinblade since I got it. I am now just past Godric. I've upgraded it to +7 and I like using it but also just keep wondering if I'm missing out on something else great. I really struggle to know how to experiment meaningfully with other weapons - not just using them but upgrading them. I tend to get paralysed by the options and it never feels a good moment to go into a scrap with an unknown weapon.

Do you guys just keep trying different things? Should I stick to my trusty Twinblade or have I wasted resource upgrading it? Any tips welcome!

25 minutes ago, Hewson said:

Before I ask my specific thing, just wanted to say thanks to all the people answering questions in this thread - it's been really enjoyable to read and I've learned a lot.

My questions a bit woolly, I guess. I'm doing STR/DEX and I've been using the Twinblade since I got it. I am now just past Godric. I've upgraded it to +7 and I like using it but also just keep wondering if I'm missing out on something else great. I really struggle to know how to experiment meaningfully with other weapons - not just using them but upgrading them. I tend to get paralysed by the options and it never feels a good moment to go into a scrap with an unknown weapon.

Do you guys just keep trying different things? Should I stick to my trusty Twinblade or have I wasted resource upgrading it? Any tips welcome!

I’m exactly the same and I think it’s one aspect of the game that could be massively improved.

Once you’ve taken a weapon to +7 for example, then you pick up something else, there’s no way of knowing if it’s going to be a better weapon without upgrading that to a +7 as well. With the amount of weapons in the game, there’s just no way of experimenting, because there aren’t enough smithing stones to upgrade more than a few weapons.

I’ve been using the Meteoric Ore blade and I’ve upgraded it quite high, but I’ve just picked up the Moonveil which I’ve heard a lot about, so I’ve pumped a load of stones into that now, but it feels like I’ve wasted all the smithing stones I put into my original blade.

Hopefully someone will come and tell me I’ve been doing it wrong and there’s an easy way to compare how weapons scale as you upgrade them!

51 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’m exactly the same and I think it’s one aspect of the game that could be massively improved.

Once you’ve taken a weapon to +7 for example, then you pick up something else, there’s no way of knowing if it’s going to be a better weapon without upgrading that to a +7 as well. With the amount of weapons in the game, there’s just no way of experimenting, because there aren’t enough smithing stones to upgrade more than a few weapons.

I’ve been using the Meteoric Ore blade and I’ve upgraded it quite high, but I’ve just picked up the Moonveil which I’ve heard a lot about, so I’ve pumped a load of stones into that now, but it feels like I’ve wasted all the smithing stones I put into my original blade.

Hopefully someone will come and tell me I’ve been doing it wrong and there’s an easy way to compare how weapons scale as you upgrade them!

All and every weapon is viable! They're not "better" persay, just different. You should use just what you find fun. 
Your Meteoric Ore blade will take you through to the end of the game. 

59 minutes ago, JPL said:

This kind of goes away by late game as by doing certain things* you will be able to buy an unlimited amount of smithing stones (somber or otherwise, ignoring the ancient dragon ones). Having said that I'm at the final boss and have upgraded 4 weapons with somber stones to level 10 (following a guide to get the Ancient Dragon Somber stones that you need to go +10), and at no point did I need to by any somber stones.

You are right though that it's not a great game for allowing you to easily mess around with weapons on your first play through, especially as some are going to be essentially locked away from you based on where you have decided to go from an upgrade root (i.e. you don't have the strength to properly use it etc..). My advice if you are worried is to go to youtube and look at which weapons are considered best in class for the style you want to use, and then go with those as soon as you can.

*Admittedly it's very late game by the point that you can do this for all smithing stones, and you'd probably have to resort to a guide to get all of them covered.

The fextralife wiki is an absolute minefield for spoilers, especially if you're looking for help with finding NPCs to progress questlines. I looked up some random NPC to find where she was currently located, and almost the first thing it says is something like

Spoiler

She appears in location X, until you burn the Erdtree.

Cheers for that! I would avoid it as much as possible.

Personally I think it's mostly about the move-set you like best, most weapons are perfectly useable. There are obviously some that are a bit OP, but I wouldn't worry too much about ending up wasting stones other than the very top tier in each type. By the time you are at +24/+9 you'll know if it's worth that last step.

1 hour ago, K said:

The fextralife wiki is an absolute minefield for spoilers, especially if you're looking for help with finding NPCs to progress questlines. I looked up some random NPC to find where she was currently located, and almost the first thing it says is something like

Hide contents

She appears in location X, [removed]

Cheers for that! I would avoid it as much as possible.

That's a spoiler I wasn't aware of 🤣

I’ve done Stormveil, Raya Lucaria and pretty much everything I could find in their respective areas with my starting weapon and a longbow.

I’m sure I’ll switch eventually but just haven’t found the need yet.

2 hours ago, Quest said:

I’ve done Stormveil, Raya Lucaria and pretty much everything I could find in their respective areas with my starting weapon and a longbow.

I’m sure I’ll switch eventually but just haven’t found the need yet.

I'm way beyond that point and still using the Uchigatana kitana.  I have several others but other than briefly trying them out I'm mostly just using Uchigatana.

I probably would have swapped to Nagakiba but the side quest to get it is bugged for me and I'm not yet done the later activity that can un-block it

I have swapped bow a few times during that time though

What's the deal with Redmane Castle? I've been there and cleared out as much as I can see, but there are loads of room with doors that seem like they can't be opened. I can't figure out how to open the main gate either. Am I missing something?

14 minutes ago, JPL said:

What's the deal with Redmane Castle? I've been there and cleared out as much as I can see, but there are loads of room with doors that seem like they can't be opened. I can't figure out how to open the main gate either. Am I missing something?

You need to defeat the big boss in the area first. Let the festivities begin!

Redmane Castle has a couple of states. One is where there are no soldiers around the Castle grounds and one with soldiers. When the soldiers are absent then a few of the doors will be sealed off. I'm pretty sure the main gate can't be open.

Spoilers related to the boss etc.

Spoiler

When the Festival is still is active talking to Jerren in the plaza will allow you to battle Starscourge Radahn. Once Radahn is defeated and you speak to Jerren inside the chapel beyond the plaza, the Radahn Festival will end and the castle will return to its original state.

Have a feeling you might need to warp away and then back again for the doors to open after you've done the actions above. Might be wrong but seem to remember wandering around for ages before remembering there is often a 'turning it off and on again' aspect to triggering some of the quests.

1 hour ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Have a feeling you might need to warp away and then back again for the doors to open after you've done the actions above. Might be wrong but seem to remember wandering around for ages before remembering there is often a 'turning it off and on again' aspect to triggering some of the quests.

Yep, I had to camp at a site of grace a few times before the castle re-populated

When I got the first great rune, someone in the game told me to talk to someone to find out which tower it had to be activated in.

I’ve just got my second one, and I don’t know where to take it (thought I did but it won’t open). Who has the information? It wasn’t Gideon, or the crone by the fingers…

29 minutes ago, Darwock said:

When I got the first great rune, someone in the game told me to talk to someone to find out which tower it had to be activated in.

I’ve just got my second one, and I don’t know where to take it (thought I did but it won’t open). Who has the information? It wasn’t Gideon, or the crone by the fingers…

Spoiler

If the second one was from Rennala in the Academy, this great rune doesn't need to be activated in the same way as the others, instead you now have access to the respec ability in the place where you fought the boss.

Famous last words, but I think I'm getting towards the end and have two areas to explore at present...

Spoiler

Consecrated Snowfields / Halingtree 

and

Mountaintop of the Giants 

Which one of these two is 'The Way'? I want to make sure I explore the other side fully before progressing! Thanks in advance.