IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

1 hour ago, Sane said:

I want to go to the bit on the right side. I beat 

Hide contents

Radahn

but I didn't find a way down. I will investigate further. 

Hint 

Spoiler

The way down isn't where the boss fight is. Something fell that causes a hole to appear somewhere else.

Query regarding the final(?) boss in the crumbling place towards the end of the game:

Spoiler

Maliketh's second form. What damage type does he deal? I'm guessing the physical component is slashing, what with his weapon being a sword, but the non-physical damage? Having bashed my head against him again and again I'm considering trying playing with medium rather than light encumbrance for the first time in the game, and try to load up enough damage resistance that I can actually tank a hit from him, rather than what actually happens which is either a) I successfully roll through his attack string and he immediately leaps away so I can't land a hit, b) I fail to roll through his attack string and am left needing to immediately heal or die of health drain instead of being able to attack, or c) I fail to roll through his attack string, get staggered and die. I'm hoping to instead try for d) dodge part of his attack string, then poise- and damage- resist his last hit while smacking him upside the head.

The only problem is I don't really know what resistance(s) I should be raising, here; any advice?

12 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Query regarding the final(?) boss in the crumbling place towards the end of the game:

Hide contents

Maliketh's second form. What damage type does he deal? I'm guessing the physical component is slashing, what with his weapon being a sword, but the non-physical damage? Having bashed my head against him again and again I'm considering trying playing with medium rather than light encumbrance for the first time in the game, and try to load up enough damage resistance that I can actually tank a hit from him, rather than what actually happens which is either a) I successfully roll through his attack string and he immediately leaps away so I can't land a hit, b) I fail to roll through his attack string and am left needing to immediately heal or die of health drain instead of being able to attack, or c) I fail to roll through his attack string, get staggered and die. I'm hoping to instead try for d) dodge part of his attack string, then poise- and damage- resist his last hit while smacking him upside the head.

The only problem is I don't really know what resistance(s) I should be raising, here; any advice?

Spoiler

It's Holy but with a HP reducing component added on to it. It's also a lore related type and is used by the

Spoiler

Tiche

Summon as well.

Lore:

Spoiler

It's the effect of the Rune of Death I think. And was used to slay the gods.

Ah, thanks, that should help!

Spoiler

Just need to figure out which of my armour options offer the best combination of physical and holy resistance then. Feels thematically like I may end up wearing D's clothes...

And yeah, I assumed it was death-related, what with him talking about not allowing anyone to take the power of "destined-death" from him again. It's the same rune Ranni stole part of to empower the black knife assassins — like Tiche — to slay a god, IIRC? Which is presumably why he's so protective of it. Only problem was, there is no 'death' type magic [though there is the actual 'death' condition, which seems entirely unrelated], so I wasn't sure which non-physical damage category that made it!

It pretty confusing considering so many spells and effects have black "flames" around them:

Spoiler

You've got pure black flames which are just fire type with an extra DOT effect. (though I think some enemies are more weak or resistant to black flame than regular flame, as it's a "godslayer" type)

Red and black which is holy damage with a unique HP reducing effect

Black and gold which is holy type with the "death" status effect

Black and yellow lighting which is lighting type with death effect

Black and grey which is "ghostflame" type which is actually magic and frost, not fire...

Fromsoft :lol: 

I've recently got Flame, Cleanse Me which should help in my travels around Caelid and made sure I've got 12 Faith, put it in one of my spell slots and equipped a staff, but I can't seem to use it. What do I need to do?

Equip a seal rather than a staff, incantations use seals. Sorceries use staffs.

Edit: should also say if you've not got a seal you can get one at the roundtable. The vendor there sells a finger seal.

That's reminded me. What does upgrading the seals actually do to the incantations?

I've gone full Dex/Arc build and just had the bare minimum in Faith just to cover myself for clearing the status effects. If I started to stack some stones on my seal, does it buff things like swarm of flies or bloodflame blade or is that more dependent on the Faith points? Does it make your resistance to status effects more effective if you use the status clearing spells?

47 minutes ago, Alask said:

Equip a seal rather than a staff, incantations use seals. Sorceries use staffs.

Edit: should also say if you've not got a seal you can get one at the roundtable. The vendor there sells a finger seal.

Thanks for this.

19 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

That's reminded me. What does upgrading the seals actually do to the incantations?

I've gone full Dex/Arc build and just had the bare minimum in Faith just to cover myself for clearing the status effects. If I started to stack some stones on my seal, does it buff things like swarm of flies or bloodflame blade or is that more dependent on the Faith points? Does it make your resistance to status effects more effective if you use the status clearing spells?

When you look at your stats, it's the Incant Scaling value that determines how strong your incantations are. Not all incants scale though, so damage will and instant heals will. Weapon incantations are a percentage of your incant scaling too. I don't think any of the status or personal buff type spells improve though. It's a bit variable to be honest..

Upgraded seal means higher incant scaling, but bear in mind not all seals scale with the same stats. There is a seal which is S scaling with arcane though, so if you upgrade that your incants will be good even with the minimum faith. 

If you want that seal it's the:

Spoiler

Dragon Communion Seal - in the FringeFolk hero grave where you start the game

How do I get up to the plateau with the building on it above the Albinauric Village? I'm as far as the Capital now, but still haven't found a way up there.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

How do I get up to the plateau with the building on it above the Albinauric Village? I'm as far as the Capital now, but still haven't found a way up there.

Spoiler

It's a much much much longer and involved process than you think.

Spoiler

follow Ranni's questline.

Well, just had a bit of a shocker as I went to my usual save spot so I could make a cuppa.

Spoiler

Went to Roundhold!

And all of a sudden I was attacked by an Invader!

It took me by surprise, I have no idea what the trigger or the purpose was.

He went down in a couple of hits and left me something, but I pressed the button too quick, so I have no idea what he or she actually dropped.

There isn't some kind of in game log where I can see things like that?

9 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Well, just had a bit of a shocker as I went to my usual save spot so I could make a cuppa.

Hide contents

Went to Roundhold!

And all of a sudden I was attacked by an Invader!

It took me by surprise, I have no idea what the trigger or the purpose was.

He went down in a couple of hits and left me something, but I pressed the button too quick, so I have no idea what he or she actually dropped.

There isn't some kind of in game log where I can see things like that?

You can sort the various pages of the inventory by newest, but it's still a bit of a faff if you've picked other stuff up.

That guy drops

Spoiler

Some totally METAL armour with bones in it (Royal Remains iirc) and a skeletal arm fist weapon. It was the dude leaning against the wall outside Gideon's room, Ensha.

I reached the Godskin Duo today. After a few attempts I had an amazing fight where things were really going my way. I thought I'd won when...

Off it goes. Maybe tomorrow.:angry:

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I reached the Godskin Duo today. After a few attempts I had an amazing fight where things were really going my way. I thought I'd won when...

Off it goes. Maybe tomorrow.:angry:

Spoiler

Some top From trolling that fight.

Endgame trophy savescumming question

Spoiler

Finally beat Radagon/Elden Beast last night, then backed up my save before making any big decisions. Did the basic ending and then reloaded and did the Ranni one. Then I reloaded again and went off to look for Fingers McGinty down the bottom of that crypt to get my frenzied flame on. After a lot of falling and dying I finally managed to get down there, had a nice hug, popped the map open - hadn't touched the grace in the boss arena to activate it and it turns out you can't get back there from the throne room either once the fight is over.

So the question is, before I reload and go through another night of shit platforming tonight, is it actually possible to get the frenzied flame ending if you visit the fingers after beating EB? I've seen mixed information online - some suggest you have to do it just before/after burning the tree. 

24 minutes ago, Exidor said:

Endgame trophy savescumming question

Reveal hidden contents

Finally beat Radagon/Elden Beast last night, then backed up my save before making any big decisions. Did the basic ending and then reloaded and did the Ranni one. Then I reloaded again and went off to look for Fingers McGinty down the bottom of that crypt to get my frenzied flame on. After a lot of falling and dying I finally managed to get down there, had a nice hug, popped the map open - hadn't touched the grace in the boss arena to activate it and it turns out you can't get back there from the throne room either once the fight is over.

So the question is, before I reload and go through another night of shit platforming tonight, is it actually possible to get the frenzied flame ending if you visit the fingers after beating EB? I've seen mixed information online - some suggest you have to do it just before/after burning the tree. 

Are you doing the 3 endings for the plat? I did the same as you and it was fine, I only beat EB once then save scummed all the endings.

As a melee build I just

Spoiler

ran to the side (it always does that golden flame move first) and smack it until it swims off. It should start casting that ring spell so run in the opposite direction and jump the rings which appear around you. Then run towards it, roll dodging through its big sword swipes (very Sekiro Divine Dragon) and hit it in the belly (weak spot) if you can. It'll swim off again, so repeat previous steps. Eventually it'll cast the Elden Stars spell at which point...erm, run, roll, pray? Whilst waiting for Elden Stars to dissipate be aware it'll start doing the swipes at the same time. The fight would be so easy without that bullshit.

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Any tips for the final boss? 

Strength Build notes (w/mimic+10):

Spoiler

Part 1:

Spoiler

I tried to play a ranged battle and divide his attention with the mimic. I used Watchdog's Staff+10 two-handed and used the projectile skill to eat away at his lifebar when it was safe to do so. I needed to respec for a bigger Mind bar and have the right balance of flasks but it was a relatively safe way of handling things.

Part 2:

Spoiler

By this time the Watchdog's Staff skill was empty (and the skill was pretty much useless in this part anyway), so I went in with two-handed melee strikes and tried to get as much damage as possible between heals. Move behind it when it wants to put flames down, start running when the lasers come down, jump out of the range of the rings on the ground, and roll through the faster projectiles (those Guile Sonic Booms :D ) When you're confident about knowing when to go in, you'll be surprised by how much damage you can get done before your next heal. If you're too cautious you'll miss windows to get hits in and it will just eat away at your resources.

Where am I actually trying to get to in the capital sewers?

Spoiler

I feel like I've been to the bottom with the lobsters and explored the catacombs but I'm yet to find either the frenzy flame your man on the mountain talks about or the dude in the Roudtable that wants me to kill him in the Gaol. 

Finding the Dung Eater is pretty straightforward.

Spoiler

From the Underground Roadside grace in the Subterranean Shunning Grounds take a left and run past the big tanky guys until you see a grating. Drop down there and to the left. Head forwards and you'll see huge poison plants around a corner. Past them is a ladder, up there you'll find the cell with the Dung Eater inside. Watch out for the hand enemies.

As for getting to the three fingers, I can't remember exactly how I got there, but it's down, down, down. I remember at one point making some very dodgy drops down a broken staircase around the edge of a huge cylindrical chamber like a missile silo. Eventually you reach the bottom and there's a boss fight followed by a pedestal that moves when you hit it...the three finger area is past there. Hopefully someone else can fill in the gaps.

24 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Where am I actually trying to get to in the capital sewers?

Hide contents

I feel like I've been to the bottom with the lobsters and explored the catacombs but I'm yet to find either the frenzy flame your man on the mountain talks about or the dude in the Roudtable that wants me to kill him in the Gaol. 

Spoiler

Explore the sewers until you get to a pipe that has a hole cut in top of it that you can jump down into. That will (eventually) take you to the next area and an optional boss.. Frenzied Flame stuff is after that

Spoiler

elden-ring-sewers-pipe-hole.thumb.jpg.24b17242273627a40900ddd2d1d4f97f.jpg

Is there a point of no return with regard to the frenzied flame ending?

Ive just killed 

Spoiler

Mohg at the bottom of the Leyndell sewers, and I assume I’ll get teleported somewhere if I open the chest.

Am I going to be committed to anything if I go any further, or do I have to make an active choice?

Spoiler

I believe that you're not tied to that ending providing you have an item that you will get from exploring the Haligtree.

Btw, the chest is not a trap. There is a different route from where you are to the Three Fingers (fun times ahead btw) and there should be messages explaining how if you are playing online.

This is based on things I've read in passing from the guide. I didn't get as far as the Three Fingers (you'll see why in due course) and I'm only at the very top of the Haligtree, so someone who has actually finished the game may be able to comment in more detail.

I've been watching a few boss fights on YouTube, and a few of them seem to pop something at the start making loads of different coloured bars appear in the middle of the screen. I presume it's some kind of buff to their stats, but what exactly is it and how do I do it?

They're using a Rune Arc, I would think. If you have one of the great runs equipped, using an arc boosts your stats, and those bars signify your resistances to various status effects.