Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

6 hours ago, Capwn said:

Had another stab at final boss yesterday and failed...

Reveal hidden contents

- Managed to rebirth and can now use the black knife tiche summon, it DOES seem better so that's good

- About 8 attempts at part 1 of 2 of final boss, was trying to play without summon most of the time. Trying to learn the patterns. I really suck at learning the moves/patterns, I don't get it, like the one where he jumps in the air and slams down. The ONLY way I can see to avoid that is to hope you are far enough to run away from it when he starts doing it? That's what most of this game's fights are like to me, they just boil down to luck, avoiding being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't see patterns. I don't see the start of animations quick enough to dodge. I don't have strong reaction skills.

- Had 3 more attempts at 2 headed snake thing in tornado land. Can get it down to about 30-40% health at most.

- I have 40 vigor, 20 strength, 45 dex, 22 Mind, 50 endurance....something like that. I'm using rivers of blood

I should take photos of my setup when I have time

I'm sharing your pain, can't do the last fight or Dragonlord whatshisface. Stupid whatshisface. 

5 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

I'm sharing your pain, can't do the last fight or Dragonlord whatshisface. Stupid whatshisface. 

For the Dragonlord, are you wearing as much lightning resistance as possible? I found once I loaded up on as much of it as I could and learned to dodge the dive bomb he wasn't too hard.

13 minutes ago, Blunted said:

For the Dragonlord, are you wearing as much lightning resistance as possible? I found once I loaded up on as much of it as I could and learned to dodge the dive bomb he wasn't too hard.

I have the +2 talisman but that's it, also same for fire. No special armour and no items either. I can avoid most of the dive-bombs but the rapid disappear/ reappear does me quite often. When it does the appear and side swipe it's easy to dodge, but occasionally it seems to do a down swipe that I can't seem to roll away from.

There's no one aspect of the fight that's consistently getting me, I'm just taking too many silly hits and churning through my flasks until there's nothing left. 

Summons aren't being too helpful on this fight either, they can't cope with the lightning. 

End boss again…

Spoiler

Another 30-40 attempts tonight. Not much progress, still none the wiser with dodging. I do have a little more sense with just hanging a little before rolling and can sometimes avoid the Initial big leap/slam move but gets me on the second part as the impact zone is too big. The rest I’m just rolling as he’s about to attack, just can’t figure out the timing. 

out of those attempts, only got to second part once and oddly did 50% damage on it. It’s really weird, I swear about 70-100 attempts ago I was getting to the second part much easier. Since rebirthing multiple times, something seems off? Someone mentioned I need higher strength for rivers? But I was told dex is better for that sword?

image.jpg

This thread has never let me down so far, you guys are great at giving me just enough info without spoiling anything. I’m now at a bit of a loss in the quest involving Blaidd. 

Spoiler

You are tasked with going to Nokstra (I may have spelt that wrong, the names are all so similar) to get the ‘treasure’ for Ranni. Killing Radahn opens the path to the previously unreachable part of the eternal city, which basically kicks it all off, and Blaidd disappears.

I’ve been through all parts of that area and done everything I can find to do, and the path has now led me on to other areas. The quest hasn’t progressed, Blaidd hasn’t come back and Iji is still telling me to get the treasure from Nokstra. What bothers me is that the other areas can actually be reached without having to kill Radahn or go through Nokstra at all*, which implies they are nothing to do with the quest. The NPCs made quite a big deal about not being able to get there, so for the goal to be in another area that is already accessible doesn’t make sense.

Should I go back and check I haven’t missed something or just be patient and keep pressing on?

*I got to Deeproot, Nokstella and eventually the Grand Cloister by killing the gargoyles in the aqueduct. Trophy percentages indicate lots of people have killed the grand cloister boss without having first killed the gargoyles, so I assume they are dropping directly into the lake of rot from the Ainsel river well ant tunnels. I assume you could then backtrack to Nokstella from there, unless the lifts are locked until first use.

I know you said you’ve explored “all parts”, but when you were in the area with the ancestral followers, before you find the path to the aqueduct; how much jumping onto roofs did you do?

4 hours ago, Capwn said:

End boss again…

Reveal hidden contents

Another 30-40 attempts tonight. Not much progress, still none the wiser with dodging. I do have a little more sense with just hanging a little before rolling and can sometimes avoid the Initial big leap/slam move but gets me on the second part as the impact zone is too big. The rest I’m just rolling as he’s about to attack, just can’t figure out the timing. 

out of those attempts, only got to second part once and oddly did 50% damage on it. It’s really weird, I swear about 70-100 attempts ago I was getting to the second part much easier. Since rebirthing multiple times, something seems off? Someone mentioned I need higher strength for rivers? But I was told dex is better for that sword?

image.jpg

As mentioned previously, you need much higher Arcane to do decent damage with the Rivers of Blood. Like 50-60.

Maybe consider respec'ing and putting some stats from Endurance and Faith into Arcane instead?

1 hour ago, Alask said:

I know you said you’ve explored “all parts”, but when you were in the area with the ancestral followers, before you find the path to the aqueduct; how much jumping onto roofs did you do?

Well, I ran around on top of the pillars just above the hallowhorn grounds and found a couple of pieces of loot. I will take that as a hint that I missed something! Thanks.

46 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Well, I ran around on top of the pillars just above the hallowhorn grounds and found a couple of pieces of loot. I will take that as a hint that I missed something! Thanks.

Go left :)

4 hours ago, Talvalin said:

As mentioned previously, you need much higher Arcane to do decent damage with the Rivers of Blood. Like 50-60.

Maybe consider respec'ing and putting some stats from Endurance and Faith into Arcane instead?

I've read that both bosses are not affected by bloodloss, is it still worth boosting Arcane? I've also read that endurance is super important for the 2nd part due to all the running back and fourth so a bit wary of lowering that too much. Perhaps mainly removing my Dex is better? 

Also it says Dexterity is B and Arcane is D, so surely Dex is more effective or am I misunderstanding how this works?

I should also mention that I have a particular greatsword that is at +25 (full) and packs a punch (over 300hp) but is a bit slower, perhaps I should be using that here?

Your stats are a bit all over the place to be honest. 

For example, my Rivers of Blood build was a bit more like:

Vig: 35

End: 25

Mind: 25

Dex: 18 from memory, min to use it

Int: 9

Faith:25

Arc: 50

For blasphemous blade the same but faith was 60 and barely any Arc. Str was around 25.

On 07/06/2022 at 08:49, Qazimod said:

Hide contents

For the second part of the final boss I ended up racing to out-DPS him; going in as much as I dared so that I got plenty of damage in between flask sips. You might find that you're playing conservatively and eating damage whilst missing opportunities to get in. I've got a clip here with my stats for the final boss.

You got this! :) 

What is that move you're doing where the blue lights come out of your weapon and home in on the enemy? I think something like that would be a better fit for me, to avoid getting in close.

Why are people saying boost arcane for RoB? Arcane scales at D, dexterity scales at B. My RoB build had maxed dexterity. Does high arcane have the side effect of boosting blood build up?

Edit: I guess here is the answer https://old.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/twr7dp/dex_vs_arcane_in_a_blood_build_or_with_rivers_of/

I think @Capwn is almost out of larval tears and isn't online so nobody can drop some. 🥲

7 hours ago, Capwn said:

End boss again…

Hide contents

image.jpg

It's impervious to bleed (which you know now) with your dex if you can level up an uchigatana or the other big katana and infuse as keen and use the unsheath weapon art that will work, it's how I did it with a similar build.

16 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I think @Capwn is almost out of larval tears and isn't online so nobody can drop some. 🥲

Yeah must have done it at least 10 times now. I'm at the point where looking at a guide is annoying as I can't particularly remember if I picked up a tear there or not. I guess I can try to recover at least one more but I really need to be setting on a particular rebuild and I still don't know what that should be.

44 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Also if you're respeccing I'd chuck a load more into Vigour, as someone who takes a fair amount of beats @Capwn

See I'm almost good with 40 because it's essentially 2 flasks, sure I can make my HP meter bigger but it's just going to consume more flasks rather than give me more health (other than at the start of course)

5 hours ago, Capwn said:

What is that move you're doing where the blue lights come out of your weapon and home in on the enemy? I think something like that would be a better fit for me, to avoid getting in close.

It's the two-handed weapon skill for Watchdog's Staff, a colossal Strength-scaling weapon (requires 34 Strength and 10 Dexterity) - I had to respec to get a bigger FP bar but I found it invaluable for those last two battles. I think it's found in one of the Liurnia catacombs.

Also during my dex run (in progress) I picked up Rogier's Rapier, which has a skill where you can summon short-range projectile swords. Not sure how they compare though...

7 hours ago, rgraves said:

Go left :)

Bloody hell, I can’t believe I missed that entire area. I had such a struggle killing the red wolf that was around there that when it died I just sort of ran ahead to see what it was guarding and ignored the rocky bit behind me.

(And then once you drop down to the aqueduct you can’t climb back up, so it just seemed like that was the way I was supposed to go.)

edit - also, Nokron ffs

Another 20 attempts last night on final boss (must be over 100 now), making SOME progress...

Spoiler

I went and found a larvel tear and rebirthed. Pumped it into Dex. Also am wielding two swords now (not shown below) with a rogier raper that I have maxed out along with my maxed out RiversOfBlood. Also, wearing crucible knight set to help against holy damage. Between those things I seem to be doing a little better and whilst not learning how to avoid attacks am getting a sense of what works better. For example that first guy, when he does the big leap and slam I find jumping better than rolling. I still get hit by it 70% of the time but it's better than 90% etc.

I'm finding a big part of this, for a not so good Souls player like myself, is down to luck. Mostly in how well my summon performs, I'm really dependable on that. The best I've done so far is get the beast down to about 25% health, so I'm getting there.

image.thumb.png.100808301201d6604bff7ea80dd2f786.png

I summoned some dude on the final boss(s) called The Corrector, who was dressed up like Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2, and as far as I could tell fought bare-handed (or at least with some kind of close-fitting hand-weapons). He pretty much soloed both phases, and absolutely smashed both of them too. 

@Capwn - that's ace. You should definitely feel good about even the smallest amount of progress, because I had the same experience with the final encounter - dozens of deaths but often getting the health bar down a little more each time. Eventually more of the timings to roll and block will become muscle memory and you'll get further.

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Is it worth trying to summon another human helper?  You might get lucky and some super ninja joins you who can do the boss solo?

I logged on purely to join the summon pool and help some people around the captial last night - 2-3 times I was summoned at the same time as another player called something like "BoyToy". He was naked and holding just a couple of daggers - but he was an absolute beast. Me and the host basically stood back and just appreciated the work he was doing. Some people get sooooo good at this.

Yeah I would like to thank "Let me parry her" who beat Malenia for/with me, and apologise to "Let me solo him" who I failed to beat EB with because of course, I got cocky on EB and got smashed by his big sword when pitching in when I should have just been sitting back watching someone who had git gud.  D'oh.

I have not yet summoned a human yet. I'm in that camp of people where to me that would make me feel I have cheated. I know, I know it's ridiculous because I have certainly cheated in other ways with looking at guides etc. It's just summoning feels a step tooooo far for me.

Ok, finished it. Took another 30 or so attempts.

Spoiler

Had about 10 attempts and failed, gave up and battled 2 head snake thing again, killed that after several attempts. Was able to level up twice from that. Dex now like 75. Then about 20 attempts at final boss. I did start to learn some timings, in particular the rolling through the slash projectiles from stage 2 of the beast. At one point I avoided all 4. It's a weird one, I didn't jump in the air going 'Yaaaassss fuuuck yyyyoooooou!' etc. It was more 'Oh I did it? thank-god, it's over. It's finally over'. In fact I was in such a trance that when you return to whatever I just went straight to the summon stone and it triggered a cutscene. I wish I looked around a bit first, did I miss much?

In the end I used both maxed out blood of rivers and rogier rapier, with no shield. level 151. Black knife tiche summon.

I have a bit I want to say about the game, will post that in the main thread when I have time.

I really hate that I have to do this, but I think I’ve got my quest progression all tangled up by missing that path earlier - really just looking for someone to put my mind at ease if I don’t need to worry, and if it is indeed screwed up just tell me the name of an area to investigate or something indirect to get me back on track.

Quests in souls games have always been super finicky and dependent on NPCs being in the right place at the right time etc - mix it with a massive open world environment and it just seems very likely to go awry.

It’s the Nokron quest I asked about before.

Spoiler

I got the treasure from Nokron that Ranni was looking for, and gave it to her. In return she told me where to find her corpse. I did that, got the thing, gave it to Fia.

Ranni then left, and Iji said she had gone on to the dark path only she could walk or something, from Renna’s rise (which has always been sealed). I figured that was the end of the quest. However he also asked me to look after her. So I checked Renna’s rise, and it’s open now.

The transporter gate inside took me to Ainsel River main. I have already been through here via the coffin from Deeproot. This time there was one thing different, as I found a doll of Ranni right at the start that wasn’t there before. But I have already cleared the whole path, down to Nokstella and into the Lake of Rot and Grand Cloister, and also killed the boss down there. That’s where I had to stop, as I can’t break the seal.

I couldn’t face doing the whole journey again looking for some tiny thing different, so I picked the most likely place to investigate (Nokstella) and went round the whole loop again. Found nothing. I then took the lift down to the waterfall basin on the way to the Lake of Rot, and went through the tunnel with the death frogs. This next part is what makes me think my quest progression is screwed. When you come out of the tunnel there’s a reddish tinged area with the lift down to the Lake. There were lots of bloodstains and messages implying there should be a fight here, but there isn’t… and there wasn’t last time I came through either. Suspicious.

I’ve talked to everyone I can think of hoping to get a reaction from the doll, but nope. Nothing from Iji, Seluvis has mysteriously died, Blaidd is still gone, nobody in the Roundtable Hold responds to it, Fia doesn’t care now that she got her cursemark thingy.

In terms of other progression I have only just attempted to go into the Erdtree for the first time and started the next phase of that quest, so the path east has opened but I haven’t gone that way yet. I have been to volcano manor and met the people but not explored further - not gone after Rykard at all.

So yeah, if someone could tell me if I just need to be patient, or subtly point me in the direction of something I may have missed, it would be much appreciated.

This bit is massively obscure.

Spoiler

In the room of the main Lucaria Academy boss, do you remember a chest that you couldn't open?

At some point in the quest, you should have acquired the key that opens it which will give you the item that removes the seal.