IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

How much are you guys looking things up as opposed to finding them out yourself? I've definitely looked up quite a bit of stuff in the early game (I'm still to beat Margit!), but am wondering if it's too much. I did need to find out some things about certain systems and how to upgrade particular items/skills (for example, the Spirit Ashes), but when I find something out completely by myself it's very satisfying. So it's a balance to not get too frustrated but also not have too much stuff revealed for me in advance. How are you all managing this? Do you look stuff up or not?

Just now, Eighthours said:

How much are you guys looking things up as opposed to finding them out yourself? I've definitely looked up quite a bit of stuff in the early game (I'm still to beat Margit!), but am wondering if it's too much. I did need to find out some things about certain systems and how to upgrade particular items/skills (for example, the Spirit Ashes), but when I find something out completely by myself it's very satisfying. So it's a balance to not get too frustrated but also not have too much stuff revealed for me in advance. How are you all managing this? Do you look stuff up or not?

Haven't looked anything up, but had lots of things explained or "spoiled" for me here (such as a way to bypass a boss). I'm ok with it though, I think so long as people don't post huge reveals in the thread it's all part of the fun. Plus there's so much to the game that there's no way you can be told all of it.

9 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Haven’t looked a single thing up and won’t until at least NG+. If I don’t find something then I don’t find it, if an NPC dies or I accidentally break a quest line then so be it, it’ll be there for the next run…

As you say, there is more satisfaction in discovery than being told.

Not sure if this toxic swamp tip has been posted yet but if you want to explore such an environment and don’t have the antidotes/gear:

Spoiler

Hop on your horse as you can then run around without being affected.

I found this out after many painful, slow deaths, when looking for something (that I still haven’t found).

How do I actually quit the game proper? I just turn my Xbox off when I’m done, but it keeps telling me I should quit the game, but doesn’t tell me how!

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

How do I actually quit the game proper? I just turn my Xbox off when I’m done, but it keeps telling me I should quit the game, but doesn’t tell me how!

On ps5 you go to settings and exit, I assume it'll be the same on Xbox.

2 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

I've died in there about a dozen times so have killed a fair number of them, the shard has only dropped once or twice IIRC and i've had other items from them too so it may not be a common thing to get from them.  Its the only place I can deffo remember getting one though

Yeah, rinsed it three times, no drops.

I've managed to find another couple running around in the wilderness, just need one more now!

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

I've looked up nothing, I watched zero trailers, not even the one from E3 the other year & haven't read anything at all. I've not been in the main thread either, I've got it on ignore as it's too tempting to see what other people are getting up to! :) 

Aside from asking about shards in here, which is a relatively safe space, spoiler-wise, I hopefully won't need to ask much else.

The only thing I found that the game didn't cover particularly well, was the Spirit Summoning Bell as unless you go back to that location, you could go ages before getting it & there's no clues.

I figure once the game wants me to know about upgrading things like the ashes, it'll let me know.

54 minutes ago, JPL said:

Bring up the inventory menu etc.. click down to the settings link at the bottom. This brings up another menu, RB to the icon that looks like an arrow pointing to a door. You then get a quit button.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I looked up some stuff about where to find upgrade materials and how to get more spell slots. 

I saw other people talk about the helpers for a boss fight so I used it myself. The whole feature passed me by prior to that. 

Not looking anything up but did screenshot the boss list from the main thread to act as a checklist.  I'm still (30 hours in) as Star Gazer rocking starting gear + illumination spell and a fancy dagger.

42 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Bring up the inventory menu etc.. click down to the settings link at the bottom. This brings up another menu, RB to the icon that looks like an arrow pointing to a door. You then get a quit button.

As much as I love the depth in their games, these guys could really do with a better UI team.

As a primary spellcaster (int build)…

Is there any advantage to duel handing a staff for spells?

Is there any equivalent of a backstab with spell blasts? Or do I need to get a secondary weapon that scales with int for example to use for close combat? My instinct tells me that staff spells need to be done from distance and there isn’t much like I’m getting close but for melee weapon users that’s the only way they can play. 

3 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I’m not looking anything up until after I’ve done it, and only if there was something I didn’t understand or something I think I missed. 

I would always look up too much in previous games. I’ve gone in blind in this one and it’s a way better experience. I’ve put the main thread on ignore. Wasn’t sure whether to even come in this thread but so far it’s just about ok bar a couple of things. I definitely recommend doing the same. The mystery of what might be over the next hill is great and easily spoiled. I’m sure I’ll make non optimal decisions but that’s fine. Plenty of time to read more later. 

I looked up one thing, which was how to get my hands on smithing shards. I found one way to get them that I don't think I'd have figured out unless it happened by chance, but then stumbled across something else on my own and now I'm swimming in the things. :D

Generally I like to leave as much as possible to discover on my own though, at least on a first run. I'll dive into the inevitable lore videos once I see the ending.

Am I understand this correctly (sorry for poor quality picture). 

These ashes are basically worse for my AP and defence all round (scaling goes down), but I gain the bleed effect?

69CDE399-5BD2-4E14-AD6B-1DCFBD177BF6.thumb.jpeg.e8693124e3dbb4751d2e1c705c6697d5.jpeg

Think I’ve got Stomp on at the moment and literally never use it because it’s too many buttons to think about and I’m just terrified of accidentally dismounting. 

What I should have done ( as I never parry ), is get that shield art which effectively clears the shield art itself & puts the weapon art onto L2 instead.

Instead I've been having to two hand my weapon ( which I'd never have known how to do without this thread ) & tank hits in order to clear out two dungeons which required me to use a very specific weapon art, a lot.

I had only ever played Bloodborne before. I found the contols a bit tricky to get used to in this but the single most useful thing I have found has been switching around square and triangle. Feels much better to me and I'm not constantly healing myself by accident. 

What's a decent level of basic sword performance before upgrading? My +2 basic sword that came with my Confessor sees me on a combined 135 ish, I think, atmy current level of 19 (will check later), but I've recently swapped to a curved sword which is a little bit less but seems fancier in terms of look and swishing.

Does upgrading strength also increase your weapon damage stats? 

4 hours ago, JPL said:

I was shocked when the game told me off for not saving properly the first time I played, almost brought back fond memories of Mr Resetti!

18 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Does upgrading strength also increase your weapon damage stats? 

Spoiler

If you look at the stats of the weapon, it will tell you how much of a bonus you get from the various stats. How much of a parameter bonus you get for higher Strength/Dex etc is categorised A/B/C/D/E etc

5 minutes ago, Graham S said:
  Hide contents

If you look at the stats of the weapon, it will tell you how much of a bonus you get from the various stats. How much of a parameter bonus you get for higher Strength/Dex etc is categorised A/B/C/D/E etc

And upgrading your weapon can increase the scaling too.