Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

Beat the first big boss last night, had Mr Jelly & an NPC summon in there, almost felt sorry for him.

The cut-scenes are amazing, felt more like a Platinum boss fight that a Souls one & it was so, so pretty.

The jumping attack is incredibly OP though, I didn't realise until last night but it's so good at staggering so you can get a second hit in & then rolling away.

How do I progress to be able to use smithing stones beyond smithing stone 1?  I’ve got a few that seem to be able to take me up to +12, but never get the option to use them at the smith or anvil.

2 minutes ago, scottcr said:

How do I progress to be able to use smithing stones beyond smithing stone 1?  I’ve got a few that seem to be able to take me up to +12, but never get the option to use them at the smith or anvil.

The smith allows you to do it, you use [1] up to +3, then [2], and so on.

The anvil is only good till +3.

Not sure if this is one for this thread or the main thread.. but has anyone been invaded by another player yet? None for me. No summons with the blue circlet either, and I've had the icon for it nonstop for days now. I'm on xbox, and have matchmaking turned on in the menu.

As did I, clawed my way to get enough to +3 one weapon but I'm out again now.

Not found a mine near the start though, I've found one later on though, maybe I need to investigate the early area again... 🤨

Oh, and I've not been invaded yet either, apart from the NPC ones ( two so far ) but long may that continue!

1 minute ago, wretcherd said:

Hooray, I can now kill enemies that don't stay dead. You need 

Reveal hidden contents

a weapon that does holy damage, and to hit the enemy while it's regenerating.

For the ones I've face so far (skeletons and undead) you just need to hit them again when they're down, weapon unimportant.

2 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

As did I, clawed my way to get enough to +3 one weapon but I'm out again now.

Not found a mine near the start though, I've found one later on though, maybe I need to investigate the early area again... 🤨

Oh, and I've not been invaded yet either, apart from the NPC ones ( two so far ) but long may that continue!

there's a mine down at the watery area south of where you first come out into the open.  Where's this mine of which you speak? :D

2 minutes ago, scottcr said:

there's a mine down at the watery area south of where you first come out into the open.  Where's this mine of which you speak? :D

Spoiler

Somewhere near where the sky turns red, just down from there; you'll know the area when you see it.

9 minutes ago, Timmo said:

For the ones I've face so far (skeletons and undead) you just need to hit them again when they're down, weapon unimportant.

This isn't always ideal if there's groups of them though as you need to hang around and wait for them to start to regenerate. My preferred method is to try and finish them off with a holy water pot and then you don't need to worry about it. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Cheers for this, but after spending nearly two hours scouring that area, I still had to resort to youtube to find the entrance! :lol:

I can't figure out how to get to this tower either. Any vague hints? I'm not sure whether I need to actually go back into Stormveil Castle to access the bridge or not, it seems way too high up otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Majora said:

I can't figure out how to get to this tower either. Any vague hints? I'm not sure whether I need to actually go back into Stormveil Castle to access the bridge or not, it seems way too high up otherwise.

Spoiler

The massive courtyard with all the soldiers, barricades, and flamethrowers, along with a big bastard and a dog. There's a passage hidden away which you may or may not have already been through (you might need a Stonekey to get through), through that you come out to soldiers with ballista, it's easy to find from there.

You basically go to the right (eastwards) at the entrance of the castle. It took me an age to figure out how to double back to the entrance of the castle, but yeah. There's a site of grace right above where the fella advised against taking the front gate and there's the lever to open said gate. You'll know you're in the right place because there's a huge beasty in the courtyard.

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

Ah… ok. I’ve stripped the mine near the start of stones, anywhere else good to grab a bunch of [1]?

Theres a windy area with lots of giants in storm hill… and a statue that needs someone heavy to break it

3 hours ago, scottcr said:

Ah… ok. I’ve stripped the mine near the start of stones, anywhere else good to grab a bunch of [1]?

The mines look like a red circle on the map before you go to them. They’ll all have smithing stones, the closer they are to the starting area the more likely they are to be level 1 and 2.

If anyone wants to get to the ball farm here's a quick video I did showing the easiest route. you can do it as soon as you get torrent and no combat is required. There's one instances of me dodging the ball at the end. You have to turn and look at it as it goes over the cliff or you won't get the runes

Storm Castle - Courtyard with loads of enemies question:

Spoiler

There's a glowing statue near the big troll guy, obviously it's got something in it, and it looks like you could break it or more specifically, it looks like maybe you could bait the troll into smashing it.

However, I tried that a few times & he doesn't seem to do it.

All I want to know if if I'm on the right lines, if I'm not, no need to tell me exactly what to do thanks, I'll try something else.

11 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

Storm Castle - Courtyard with loads of enemies question:

Hide contents

There's a glowing statue near the big troll guy, obviously it's got something in it, and it looks like you could break it or more specifically, it looks like maybe you could bait the troll into smashing it.

However, I tried that a few times & he doesn't seem to do it.

All I want to know if if I'm on the right lines, if I'm not, no need to tell me exactly what to do thanks, I'll try something else.

I'm not sure about that one specifically, but I've done that in other places in the game, so I assume it should work!! 

31 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It's an awesome move for sure, must use sparingly though as you have to deselect shield to do it. 

Or use a 'nothing' ash of war to remove your shield's parry etc. 

51 minutes ago, Flub said:

If anyone wants to get to the ball farm here's a quick video I did showing the easiest route. you can do it as soon as you get torrent and no combat is required. There's one instances of me dodging the ball at the end. You have to turn and look at it as it goes over the cliff or you won't get the runes

That seems ludicrous!!  I must take advantage immediately. :D