IGNORED

Oppenheimer - Christopher Nolan

JohnC

Christopher Nolan's next is Oppenheimer, a biographical thriller about J. Robert Oppenheimer, one of those who created the atomic bomb. Not due out until July 2023.

He's assembling quite a cast, with Cillian Murphy as Oppenheimer and also Emily Blunt, Florence Pugh, Robert Downey Jr., Matt Damon, Rami Malek, Benny Safdie, Josh Hartnett, Dane DeHaan, Jack Quaid, Matthew Modine, Dylan Arnold, David Krumholtz, Alden Ehrenreich, Michael Angarano, Kenneth Brannagh, Scott Grimes, Christopher Denham, David Dastmalchian, Louise Lombard and Jason Clarke.

It'll be shot in IMAX and, for apparently the first time ever, some sections in black and white IMAX.

After falling out with WB over their pandemic simultaneous streaming release changes, he's taking this to Universal, who are promising a theatrical window even longer than pre-pandemic.

Im curious how this will work out for Nolan because think this will be a big challenge for him.I’m unsure how he will go about distracting the audience from his generally terrible screenwriting in a film like this.

23 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Probably not the type of film anyone really wants right now either.

Maybe not what they want, but with the way people have been downplaying the seriousness of nuclear war, it might be a film they need.

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

Maybe not what they want, but with the way people have been downplaying the seriousness of nuclear war, it might be a film they need.

Is that a TDK joke?

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2022 at 15:07, Stigweard said:

Probably not the type of film anyone really wants right now either.

There is always one plonker. And I’m right here. Can’t wait to see this.

7 minutes ago, mexos said:

There is always one plonker. And I’m right here. Can’t wait to see this.

Tbh me too, I was just being a little flippant as the week I posted that Putin was banging on about Nuclear deterrents.

• 2 months later...

I’m betting there will be cuts to the Enola Gay on its mission to Hiroshima, exactly as you’ve put it, just like Dunkirk. 

And I will love it!*

*The movie that is, I’m not advocating for Nuclear War if it wasn’t clear.  

Following the scheme from Dunkirk:

One year: the culmination of the Manhattan Project

One day: the Enola Gay's flight

One minute: Richard Feynman breaking into a safe :eyebrows:

(Feynman is being played in this film by Han Solo himself, Alden Ehrenreich.)

On 28/07/2022 at 16:31, Festoon said:

Great to start with absolutely shit sound that's hard to hear and delibrately indistinct dialogue.

Nolan is a cunt.

Nolan’s audio mixing is a subject of some interest to me now. Filmmakers wrote a collective letter to him pointing out the issue, but he framed it as just not understanding his artistic choices rather than them actually saying ‘your films are either too quiet or too loud.’

Some have speculated he has low frequency hearing loss, and is either oblivious to the problem or too stubborn to have it treated. Personally I feel bad for his sound crew, who must know they’re crafting a mess but are beholden to his ‘vision.’ 

21 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Nolan’s audio mixing is a subject of some interest to me now. Filmmakers wrote a collective letter to him pointing out the issue, but he framed it as just not understanding his artistic choices rather than them actually saying ‘your films are either too quiet or too loud.’

Some have speculated he has low frequency hearing loss, and is either oblivious to the problem or too stubborn to have it treated. Personally I feel bad for his sound crew, who must know they’re crafting a mess but are beholden to his ‘vision.’ 

I think it's really interesting how it works across his films. If you take something like Dunkirk, an out and out masterpiece in which war is shown at a granular level with all of the dramatisation and Michael Bay esque nonsense stripped out, it works really well to add to the confusion and terror of the situation the characters find themselves in.

If you take something like Tenet, a big stupid overly complicated sci-fi movie which would be difficult enough to understand if you could hear what people are saying it basically shoots the film in the head and leaves a big incomprehensible mess. 

As disappointed as I was with Tenet (which was rubbish with or without audible dialogue) I'm still all in for Oppenheimer. The guy makes very big quite thinky movies which are a bit of a rarity these days and he should be celebrated for that. 

Dunkirk is one of the few films (along with Van Helsing) that I just stopped watching partway through, because it was shit*. I have little faith in this movie. 

*Even my dad, who adores war films of all kinds, thought Dunkirk was rubbish.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Dunkirk is one of the few films (along with Van Helsing) that I just stopped watching partway through, because it was shit*. I have little faith in this movie. 

*Even my dad, who adores war films of all kinds, thought Dunkirk was rubbish.

I've heard this a few times and I'm genuinely curious why it's so divisive, especially why you think it's shit. Did you not get on with the style? The aerial combat to me was just mesmerising, did it do nothing for you?

When Fortis 1 comes in to frame behind the German bomber on its run to the boat I could pass out from an overload of goosebumps.

3 hours ago, Simmy said:

I've heard this a few times and I'm genuinely curious why it's so divisive, especially why you think it's shit. Did you not get on with the style? The aerial combat to me was just mesmerising, did it do nothing for you?

When Fortis 1 comes in to frame behind the German bomber on its run to the boat I could pass out from an overload of goosebumps.

It has no story or characters or tension or pathos. It has some amazing photography and a load of jingoism. It's ok for a single viewing but its far from a masterpiece. Its not in the 50 best war films or anything. Its no Paths of Glory or Cross of Iron.