IGNORED

This is it. The big one. F-Zero X coming to Switch Online

Sarlaccfood

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

People on Resetera are saying there's noticeable slowdown :(

I noticed a very slight dip in framerate, but nothing to do with what was on screen... probably be patched

Played the first two cups on Novice. Analogue controls are very, very sensitive as N64 games often are when emulated because modern sticks don't have to grind through a mound of plastic parmesan. Would have been nice if they'd either adjusted it a little or added a sensitivity slider.

Definite slowdown in a few instances as well, particularly when the entire pack converged on the narrow bridge of White Land. Probably dipped to 40~50fps. I can't remember if this was the case on original hardware because I was less sensitive to it back then (especially on N64 when 20fps wasn't uncommon).

Anyway it is brilliant and I love it. One of the greatest racing games of all time.

5 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Just had a go of this. How do you fire your weapon??

Joking aside, one of the great things about F-Zero X is that with aggressive driving and spinning/shunting, it's actually far quicker and easier to take out opponents permanently than it ever was in any Wipeout games with their actual weapons.

If you are going to lose a cup even if you get first on the last track it's a valid tactic to spend the race targeting all your rivals in order, and spending a life or two to ensure it.

26 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Played the first two cups on Novice. Analogue controls are very, very sensitive as N64 games often are when emulated because modern sticks don't have to grind through a mound of plastic parmesan. Would have been nice if they'd either adjusted it a little or added a sensitivity slider.

Definite slowdown in a few instances as well, particularly when the entire pack converged on the narrow bridge of White Land. Probably dipped to 40~50fps. I can't remember if this was the case on original hardware because I was less sensitive to it back then (especially on N64 when 20fps wasn't uncommon).

Anyway it is brilliant and I love it. One of the greatest racing games of all time.

There were framerate drops on the original. It was 60fps about 90 percent of the time with dips and drops if a lot was going on.

Not impressed by the emulation at all. Plus the control’s obviously set up for the replica N64 controllers at the expense of the Switch Pro Controllers. Couldn’t face playing more than five minutes if it. Hope some later patches improve the situation, because I’m currently not keen on possibly ruining memories of one of my favourite games of that generation.

Ill give F Zero a go later - i already played through it recently so i should notice if there are any differences.

Played some Wave Race 64 as well, that's a great game and way better than the GC version gameplay wise.

11 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

If you though the controls were off on this version then you would have gone completely mental at the wiiu version. Now that was unplayable.

And the wii version (on my US console anyway) visibly paused every so often, never mind dropped frames.

Isn’t there an accessibility setting where you can remap any Switch controller as anything? It’s a faff obviously, but I mind having to set it up to get an 8BitDo M30 registered as a MegaDrive 6-button pad for the Sega Collection I seem to keep buying. 

Other than the slightly twitchy controls (for non n64 pad owners) this is still such an incredible game. I’ve had no issues with the emulation so far (3 cups down), a few frame rate drops here and there but pretty sure they did on the original. The sense of speed coupled with the control is unparalleled I think.

It feels a bit like if Motörhead were asked to make a futuristic racer.