This is it. The big one. F-Zero X coming to Switch Online

Sarlaccfood

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

Was excited when I read 'This is it. The big one. F-Ze...' as newest thread in discussion on the main forum page, only to then click and see...a port of a 24 year old game I've been playing for 10 years on an emulator. 'Fucking F-Zero in bed mate let’s fucking goooooo'...yeah I've been doing that for 10 years now..

People seem to carry on like they're estranged from games they played decades ago, like a port is like being reunited after a long time. 

It's more insulting when something like this reveals Nintendo are aware of F Zero and will put meagre resources into milking it while refusing to do anything new.

It's upside down, the strength of F Zero X's name based on the quality of the game can be mined but its exact qualities can't be remagined even though its graphics if taken as an influence on something new wouldn't cost much. Yes, F Zero in the exact style of X, but all new tracks. That would be cool. 

X is still my favourite racer so obviously it's nice to read positive comments from people who have had access to an N64 emulator on every console they've owned in the last 15 years but to make this Switch port matter can only play it now. 

Emulation is for scrubs.

2 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

People seem to carry on like they're estranged from games they played decades ago, like a port is like being reunited after a long time. 

Yes, sorry for carrying on but for me it is exactly like being reunited after a long time . And whilst I'm happy for you that you have been playing it for the past ten years, I'd guess that very few people have. 

We can enjoy things without there having to justify why personally it means a lot to us .

I guess it poses the question: what's better, being able to play every game on a console for free in an instant, forever, on your laptop or tablet wherever you want, with always fully customisable controls, or being charged for each one on a particular system. I admit i don't have a spare £10,000 to throw at that.

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Played this for the first time ever last night. It's bloody hard.

may i introduce you to f zero gx, you might want to find new words that properly describe the extent in difference between 'bloody hard' and however you choose to describe f zero gx.

One of the best things about this is there's two completely different ways to race. The more traditional form of racing where you maximise your straight line speed and have to steer gently to avoid your craft drifting - Twin Norita being a good craft for this. Then the other kind where you pick a craft with low grip but high boost (e.g. Blood Falcon) and set the acceleration-top speed gauge to the far left. Your straight line speed is then very slow but you pick up huge speeds by drifting. 

I didn't even realise the latter was a thing back in the day until I tried beating all the staff ghosts and noticed that some of them were using this drift technique. 

36 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Playing games on an emulator on PC isnt as good because I have to turn on the PC.

Sure, that's why i said laptop or tablet...my 12.5 inch linx windows tablet bought for £200 will play N64 games.

Just now, Sarlaccfood said:

Wondered how long it would be for an “um actually…” neckbeard to come along to tell everyone to stop having fun. Surprised you didn’t mention Rasperry Pi for a full bingo. 

Well as I said, F Zero X is my favourite racing game so to read positive comments from people on it, anywhere, whenever is nice, so there's no 'stop having fun' is there?

But what do you expect really? 'This is it. The big one', a port of a 24 year old game is 'the big one'? Not just a new game in a franchise Nintendo has deliberately ignored for 19 years? I think it's fair to find peoples excitement over remakes and ports to be ridiculous and false when something like 'this is the big one' makes it seem to be.

What is that stereotype you've reduced me to based on my post? Wikipedia has neckbeard as 'a pejorative term and stereotype for adult and teenage men who exhibit characteristics such as social awkwardness, underachievement or pretentiousness'. You think my post means i'm socially awkward, underachieving and pretentious? Neckbeard means i'm too much of a pedant to enjoy the essence of things? What bingo would I reach with Rasberry Pi? Wikipedia also has 'a stereotype of overweight, unkempt internet users, and overlaps with the nerd, gamer, and geek subcultures'. You think i'm overweight and unkempt because I'm not excited about a port of a 24 year old game i've been playing on an emulator for 10 years?

37 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Well as I said, F Zero X is my favourite racing game so to read positive comments from people on it, anywhere, whenever is nice, so there's no 'stop having fun' is there?

But what do you expect really? 'This is it. The big one', a port of a 24 year old game is 'the big one'? Not just a new game in a franchise Nintendo has deliberately ignored for 19 years? I think it's fair to find peoples excitement over remakes and ports to be ridiculous and false when something like 'this is the big one' makes it seem to be.

What is that stereotype you've reduced me to based on my post? Wikipedia has neckbeard as 'a pejorative term and stereotype for adult and teenage men who exhibit characteristics such as social awkwardness, underachievement or pretentiousness'. You think my post means i'm socially awkward, underachieving and pretentious? Neckbeard means i'm too much of a pedant to enjoy the essence of things? What bingo would I reach with Rasberry Pi? Wikipedia also has 'a stereotype of overweight, unkempt internet users, and overlaps with the nerd, gamer, and geek subcultures'. You think i'm overweight and unkempt because I'm not excited about a port of a 24 year old game i've been playing on an emulator for 10 years?

You’ve seen a clearly labelled topic and decided to windmill in looking down your nose at everyone in it.

This is not the thread for you my guy. May I suggest you move on?

Anyway this has been a perfect thing to pivot to when I’ve had my fill on Elden Ring for the day. Kicking back on the couch in handheld mode.

I love that the blurry racer pics look like they’re from an old copy of 2000AD too.

8 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Was excited when I read 'This is it. The big one. F-Ze...' as newest thread in discussion on the main forum page, only to then click and see...a port of a 24 year old game I've been playing for 10 years on an emulator. 'Fucking F-Zero in bed mate let’s fucking goooooo'...yeah I've been doing that for 10 years now..

It's more insulting when something like this reveals Nintendo are aware of F Zero and will put meagre resources into milking it while refusing to do anything new.

It's upside down, the strength of F Zero X's name based on the quality of the game can be mined but its exact qualities can't be remagined even though its graphics if taken as an influence on something new wouldn't cost much. Yes, F Zero in the exact style of X, but all new tracks. That would be cool. 

X is still my favourite racer so obviously it's nice to read positive comments from people who have had access to an N64 emulator on every console they've owned in the last 15 years but to make this Switch port matter can only play it now. 

Wait, are you the person who tried to suck all the fun out of people wanting to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because you think it's terrible? And now you want to suck the fun out of people wanting to play F-Zero X because they could've been playing on emulator rather than via Nintendo?

Why do this?

30 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Wait, are you the person who tried to suck all the fun out of people wanting to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because you think it's terrible? And now you want to suck the fun out of people wanting to play F-Zero X because they could've been playing on emulator rather than via Nintendo?

Why do this?

Yes, 'I'm the person', i'm entirely defined by my criticism of a videogame because i actually have an interest in things being good. I don't delude myself I'm enjoying something by being overwhelmingly ecstatic about it, not that i think people do that with Mario Kart 8, i think people are extremely easily pleased and go into an apathetic state where their critical faculty is numbed, but whatever, it's certainly not 'looking your nose down at people', the most bizarre disconnected way of describing basic criticism on a public forum that exists for people to give their opinions. It's not invading someone's home. What jars and what is lost for some reason is in both instances i am actually interested in the genres and what they can be, it's like people accused of hating their country if they criticise all the ways its clearly broken when actually it's...because they care they're saying it.

Mate, it is a fucking video game. People enjoying MK8 does not mean they have collapsed into "an apathetic state where their critical faculty is numbed."  You can't chuck that out and then claim in the next breath you aren't looking down at people.

10 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Yes, 'I'm the person', i'm entirely defined by my criticism of a videogame because i actually have an interest in things being good. I don't delude myself I'm enjoying something by being overwhelmingly ecstatic about it, not that i think people do that with Mario Kart 8, i think people are extremely easily pleased and go into an apathetic state where their critical faculty is numbed, but whatever, it's certainly not 'looking your nose down at people', the most bizarre disconnected way of describing basic criticism on a public forum that exists for people to give their opinions. It's not invading someone's home. What jars and what is lost for some reason is in both instances i am actually interested in the genres and what they can be, it's like people accused of hating their country if they criticise all the ways its clearly broken when actually it's...because they care they're saying it.

02E7171F-1719-4535-A467-6C3D47809036.jpeg.fdf2e9c62ff319055fdb83ea40d4bef4.jpeg

In all seriousness, Sega really should have put a respawn to track rather than a game over when you come off the track in GX. Some of the tracks are an utter nightmare to navigate around without flying off to your doom even after you've learned the layout.

19 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

i think people are extremely easily pleased and go into an apathetic state where their critical faculty is numbed,

How is anyone supposed to read this beyond "dumb dumb dumbs don't know what good is"

Has it occurred to you that 1) people can like things you don't or 2) whisper this one - you might be wrong

6 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Mate, it is a fucking video game. People enjoying MK8 does not mean they have collapsed into "an apathetic state where their critical faculty is numbed."  You can't chuck that out and then claim in the next breath you aren't looking down at people.

Yeah I thought that might be the response, that's just being critical based on how the responses usually go. If people can't handle it, maybe their deep love for something is flimsy. No one could begin to pick at anything i love. A good example would be someone going 'all electronic music is rubbish because there's no skill involved in learning an instrument, it's just pressing buttons, anyone could do it'. That'd just be funny to me. Think that came up in the music folder somewhere ages ago. Games and other forms of entertainment like comics provoke these kinds of reactions in fans, people say it's because they form so much of a person's identity, i think it's more a desperation to cling on to enjoyment. Again, i am entirely secure in my love for certain things.

I care about art, that's all there is to it. Just because something is presented as light entertainment doesn't mean it's just dissociated from its genre and the medium as a whole and what art means to me which is not just a delivery of stuff and content.

I only make one post and people reply. Everyone could just not.

I've been loving this and I absolutely thrashed it when it was out and have played a load ever since. It's absolutely great and I love it. 

Looking at it more closely though, what the fuck is going on with the mix of fonts in general, but in particular this....who thought this was good typography?

spacer.png