IGNORED

Problems getting a ps5?

dvdx2

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

Yeah what a prick. Used to be an investment banker and then shifted into an even cuntier thing to do to earn money. 

Fuck 'em.

Not that I disagree but if people were not so stupid as to blow thousands on yet another pair of boring Yeezys because a website told them they were essential or pay at least double the RRP for a console just because they want it he wouldn’t have an income. 

Where stupid people with too much disposable income exist there will be those with no morals who will give them what they want.

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

Not that I disagree but if people were not so stupid as to blow thousands on yet another pair of boring Yeezys because a website told them they were essential or pay at least double the RRP for a console just because they want it he wouldn’t have an income. 

Where stupid people with too much disposable income exist there will be those with no morals who will give them what they want.

Although the 'stupid people' could just buy these items at normal price if all these cunts weren't diverting the supply.

Yes, people should not pay double for a PS5 and should instead wait for it not to be double the price, but if scalping is now a aspirational career path for cunts and it therefore becomes impossible to get a PS5 directly from a retailer without having lottery winning luck then how long do people wait?

Then you get into concert tickets, etc where these cunts didn't need to stand outside the venue and try and flog their tickets just before the gig evading the police.  Now just scalp them all the minute they go on sale and sell them on a secondary ticket website owned by the bloody original ticket reseller.

It's fucking bollocks and far too easy.

17 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Although the 'stupid people' could just buy these items at normal price if all these cunts weren't diverting the supply.

Yes, people should not pay double for a PS5 and should instead wait for it not to be double the price, but if scalping is now a aspirational career path for cunts and it therefore becomes impossible to get a PS5 directly from a retailer without having lottery winning luck then how long do people wait?

Then you get into concert tickets, etc where these cunts didn't need to stand outside the venue and try and flog their tickets just before the gig evading the police.  Now just scalp them all the minute they go on sale and sell them on a secondary ticket website owned by the bloody original ticket reseller.

It's fucking bollocks and far too easy.

Not that it excuses what these scalpers are doing but normal people can buy a PS5, it’s just a pain in the arse. It’s not impossible.

2 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

That would suggest elective surgery such as cosmetic surgery.

It would suggest lying under the cover of anonymity, really.

I hope we get some legal and/or technological deterent in place to stop this practice.

Setting up a limited company for the purpose of fucking over retail distributors seems 'unwise'.

Counterpoint - hoarding other quantity-limited items for the purposes of driving up values, isn’t illegal, and in many ways is celebrated through tax breaks etc.  So why should ‘console scalping’ be so demonised?

Has no-one heard of the property market or commodities trading?
Note: I do not partake, it was stressful enough just trying to get my own PS5!

Note 2: no troll honest, genuinely trying to understand the situation.

I don't doubt that it's reprehensible.  But should it be and indeed can it be made illegal given the precedents?

A gaming console is hardly a core human need, unlike a roof over one's head, where they don't seem to give two shits doing anything about.  People really ought to be going after that first.

16 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I don't doubt that it's reprehensible.  But should it be and indeed can it be made illegal given the precedents?

A gaming console is hardly a core human need, unlike a roof over one's head, where they don't seem to give two shits doing anything about.  People really ought to be going after that first.

Indeed. Yet I think people that are buying up all the gaming stuff are as reprehensible as the ones buying up all the houses . It's a different league sure, but it's the same attitude.

Do we have any real data on the scale of the issue?

I mean I don't doubt it is one and that it's adding to the difficulties of buying a console (or other things) but I'm wonder what the real percentage of retail purchases that end up in the hands of scalpers is?

The banker in that article in that case is the interesting case. He's making his money from the second/third generation of scalpers. As scalping itself becomes popular the reality is that the money isn't in scalping any more because they're all competing with each other. So stop that and sell the services (teaching) or tools (bots) to those late to the party.

Are those from the article who paid off big debts recent winners of people who did this some years a go? And for those doing it now are they making good money when you consider time invested, not just how much they make per console.

It's similar to people collecting things these days. They see the market for mint in box old toys and think they can collect newer ones to resell later. But it's them and hundreds/thousands of others buying "limited" releases. At some point they are the consumer. Companies are releasing products simply to be bought by resellers not collectors.

Well it's just greed based capitalism isn't it? Supply and demand. However the market for consoles will eventually drop as people who want one will have got one and they will eventually start to loose value. These people will be left with a whole bunch of things that will be worth less than what they bought them for.

Personally I think this type of thing is the bad side of the WWW. However perhaps good depending on your viewpoint? It gives opportunities to individuals to make some extra money. The people I blame most are those that buy them at these super inflated prices. If there was no market they wouldn't do it. 

No point getting wound up I guess. It will continue to happen as there are always people out there with more money than sense (IMHO). It's not just games consoles anything that is in high demand. Easy money isn't it?

These are luxury items I guess not necessities. For exploitation on a mass scale look at some huge corporations and see what they get up to and the government. People are screwing each other over all the time to varying degrees. Anyway guess a subject that should be left for elsewhere perhaps.

Not that I would ever do all this. But that's why I'm not rich. :D

What if WE were the scalpers, but sold them on at RRP?

anyone who can afford to buy an extra one does, and then we put a stack of them, on eBay, at retail (plus postage)

would the (PS5) scalping market collapse, or would they just buy our ones and then flip them?

i think we know…

16 hours ago, SeanR said:

What if WE were the scalpers, but sold them on at RRP?

anyone who can afford to buy an extra one does, and then we put a stack of them, on eBay, at retail (plus postage)

would the (PS5) scalping market collapse, or would they just buy our ones and then flip them?

i think we know…

That sounds like something out of a 1960s Batman episode:

68np82.jpg

68odyf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I missed an Amazon restock alert today by about 10 minutes (was getting ready for work, didn't have my phone). Haven't seen anywhere else restocking them for at least a couple of weeks. Is this seriously the only way to buy a bloody PS5 now? Wait two weeks for a three minute window, miss it, wait another two weeks, etc.?

How long have others been waiting? Is this just normal now?

I got mine through ee and it was surprisingly easy, I think there's similar for bt customers and so on too. 

Bizarrely that seems way more reliable than waiting for an actual shop to stock still. AFAIK anyway, I've never got involved with all the discord stuff etc. 

I set up an alert on my phone from a stock app, and also took my phone out of power saver mode (this is the key, you want to receive that notification at the time they send it, not when your phone checks).  I also made a decision to go single format and just get whichever console comes along first.  2 days later I got a series X from Argos and have used it to play emulators ever since. 

The thing I can't believe is how the situation hasn't resolved.  I find it hard to believe that the console market is anything near succesful when you can't buy either next gen format without going to such a fuss.  I mean, it's not a huge obstacle and I'm sure I could pick up a PS5 this week if I made the effort, but you have to wonder why anyone would make a ps5 or Xbox series game specifically because despite the manufacturer claims, no-one has the hardware yet.

22 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

I missed an Amazon restock alert today by about 10 minutes (was getting ready for work, didn't have my phone). Haven't seen anywhere else restocking them for at least a couple of weeks. Is this seriously the only way to buy a bloody PS5 now? Wait two weeks for a three minute window, miss it, wait another two weeks, etc.?

How long have others been waiting? Is this just normal now?

I caught the 30 second Amazon window yesterday.

0010A357-A5C1-447E-A16B-19CD5264A355.thumb.png.1884808a4f14cdd092abb42130ec0aa4.png

That’s a new one?