IGNORED

Fromsoft have literally made the best open world game on their first try, change my mind.

robdood

In fact, I’d put Elden Ring up there alongside fire, the wheel, farming, language, flight, and putting a man on the moon, as one of the defining triumphs of humankind.

Spoiler

Obviously I’m kidding.

Spoiler

Farming is overrated.

I think I might still prefer BOTW but I'm only about 15 hours in to Elden Ring.

They're both majestic, I don't see the point in arguing either way. Just gesture respectfully in the direction of the one you like the most.

Yeah, this is just going to turn into an Elden Ring Vs BotW thread isn't it.

BotW excels at lots of things Elden Ring doesn't. On a basic level it has more variety. Proper settlements, puzzles, physics systems, environmental interaction, minigames, riddles, etc. Let's not go down that 'BotW has nothing to do except find shrines and korok seeds' route please, that's not true at all.

Elden Ring has clinched it for me though. Yes, in essence all roads lead to combat, but when you look at the strength of the combat system, the enemy and location variety, the atmosphere and the sheer scale of the thing, I think it wins out.

I'm about 65 hours into Elden Ring and by this point BotW had largely stopped surprising me. Which is still incredible going (most open world games usually stop surprising me after about 10 hours or something) but Elden Ring is still frequently making my jaw drop. It's not just the best open world game I've ever played, it's one of the best games period. Maybe the best.

I mean, obviously the best open world games are still Midwinter, Lords of Midnight and Shadow of the Colossus.* But 4th place isn't bad.

*I suppose Elite might get a look in too, if you really like trading.

Zelda has climbing, which is pretty cool. But yeah I think Elden Ring has knocked it off the top spot. I do wish it had some proper settlements, there’s really no need for roundtable to be in an alternate dimension.

53 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

BotW. 

let’s see which is remembered more in 5 years

Yeah! I mean nobody remembers FromSoft games right? Dark what? Wait a Zelda game came out the same year as Dark Souls? Oh it’s the shitty waggle one.

30 minutes ago, Majora said:

Yeah, this is just going to turn into an Elden Ring Vs BotW thread isn't it.

BotW excels at lots of things Elden Ring doesn't. On a basic level it has more variety. Proper settlements, puzzles, physics systems, environmental interaction, minigames, riddles, etc. Let's not go down that 'BotW has nothing to do except find shrines and korok seeds' route please, that's not true at all.

Elden Ring has clinched it for me though. Yes, in essence all roads lead to combat, but when you look at the strength of the combat system, the enemy and location variety, the atmosphere and the sheer scale of the thing, I think it wins out.

I'm about 65 hours into Elden Ring and by this point BotW had largely stopped surprising me. Which is still incredible going (most open world games usually stop surprising me after about 10 hours or something) but Elden Ring is still frequently making my jaw drop. It's not just the best open world game I've ever played, it's one of the best games period. Maybe the best.

BOTW does have a lot of stuff Elden Ring doesn’t, but it also has a lot of recycling compared to Elden Ring. There’s a lot to do, but there’s also a lot of copy/paste. 

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

BotW. 

let’s see which is remembered more in 5 years

See I'm with you, and I loooove botw... But seriously, Elden ring demolishes it on every level. No contest 

I still prefer BotW as an open world game. Most of my fond memories of that are having a relaxing time climbing around the ruins in the sun, just exploring. The Great Plateau is still one of my favourite locations in any game, ever.

I love Elden Ring too but I'm also a bit tired of almost everything in it trying to kill me, all the time. Sometimes I just want to explore a location and marvel at the environment without a giant crab bursting out of the ground, or a magic-sucking zombie lurching out from behind a gravestone.

52 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I mean, obviously the best open world games are still Midwinter, Lords of Midnight and Shadow of the Colossus.* But 4th place isn't bad.

*I suppose Elite might get a look in too, if you really like trading.

Nah man, come on get with the times 

I've had a fantastic night, what was supposed to be an hour or two melted into around eight plus. Just constantly having my mind blown with how much there is to discover. Lost hours running around Stormveil Castle finding ledges to drop down onto and rooves to hop about on. After satisfying my castle curiosity it was instant blipping to another part of the map with more thrills of the unknown and discovery. 

Played for around a hundred hours in total, lots more character levelling and plenty to still discover.

Game is godlike.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

In fact, I’d put Elden Ring up there alongside fire, the wheel, farming, language, flight, and putting a man on the moon, as one of the defining triumphs of humankind.

Hide contents

Obviously I’m kidding.

Hide contents

Farming is overrated.

Spoiler

Bestial Sanctum, 5000 every 3 minutes 😛 

Up until a few days ago I’d have confidently told you BotW was imo the best game ever made. Now I’m not nearly so sure. 

I’m only about 30 hours in so far so things might change of course but one things for sure. It’s a staggering achievement. 

I’m genuinely quite worried that it might spoil  modern video games a bit for me. What’s not going to feel at least just a little bit disappointing after this? 

Zelda still holds the top spot for me, much more varied pace, play styles and emotions when playing the game. It has all that Elden Ring has to offer plus lots more. I am enjoying Elden Ring, after being quite lukewarm with it a the beginning, but more purely from a combat perspective. I have no idea what I’m doing, why I’m doing it and who I’m doing it for. I fell like I’m playing a sort of WoW with enhanced combat, but without the story, multiplayer and Cities.

5 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Rob I love you and you are everything that is right with the world.

Presumably not if you actually think game developers should be supported by buying their games.

I’ve watched some streams of Elden Ring and it looks grim-dark, depressing, stressful, scary af, and not something I personally want to spend 100 hours with. It doesn’t seem to share much with Breath of the Wild beyond ‘having an open world’, and they clearly offer different experiences to the player so it seems pointless to compare.

I’ll stick to Zelda, thanks.

Did we all forget that Crackdown was released about 14 years ago? ;) 

Anyway, since I haven’t played Zelda I guess Elden Ring “wins” by default, for now.

7 minutes ago, pledge said:

Don't worry, IGN have the definitive list of 'Top 10 open world games' to clear this up.

fp9uh35x5zm81.jpeg.d89f920d7058a21f6c5f1260e6344504.jpeg

Well they got the top two places right, I'd probably move Elden Ring up into third though!