IGNORED

Fromsoft have literally made the best open world game on their first try, change my mind.

robdood

46 minutes ago, Thor said:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey 

tumblr_ma7l7qsgZ41rrhz69540.gif.bc34ed555560c174a7a82dbfc3448ed1.gif

Because it's a Sony exclusive, and and many won't have played it because so many rely on their lord and saviour, Gamepass.

I don't think that's true at all, doesn't the original game have like an 80 page thread on here. The sequel screwed itself in terms of current mindshare by releasing the week before Elden Ring absolutely annihilated the sales charts (and Elden Ring is also not on Gamepass yet everyone and their mother is talking about it. What could be the reason why Elden Ring has completely sucked all the air out of the room in terms of discussion, from both a critical and consumer viewpoint, at the moment while Forbidden West is just kind of there?)

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

In terms of impact and mindshare, let's be realistic - GTA5 is the most important open world game released in the past decade, and will continue to be until GTA6.

It's also the most fun online open world game by a country mile.

In terms of impact on other games is it GTA or Far Cry 3? 

Theres absolutely no question that GTA is the bigger game by far but it's such a big, sprawling, yet also carefully crafted monster of a world that only a handful of titles have even attempted to match what Rockstar did with their modern San Andreas. 

Maybe it's just the games media I follow but I hear the words Far Cry mentioned far more often when people talk about what Title X is like. That's less of a knock on GTA and more a reflection of the fact Rockstar are operating in a different world to almost everyone else and know they can spend massive amounts on the world of RDR2 because the game was going to sell tens of millions of copies. 

This the modern day Sonic vs Mario argument then? Why compare when can just enjoy both? 

I've not actually played Elden Ring as it's probably too difficult for me 

Thing with GTAV is that your travels from one point to another are just a full drive 99% of the time. 

what Elden Ring gets right more than any other game since Far Cry 2 is the threat factor. In FC2 you had to plan every journey as you knew you might come under attack at some point (random or outposts/hotspots). Same in Elden Ring - you can be dragged into combat and killed at any point so few journeys are full or repetitive. 

5 minutes ago, joemul said:

Thing with GTAV is that your travels from one point to another are just a full drive 99% of the time. 

what Elden Ring gets right more than any other game since Far Cry 2 is the threat factor. In FC2 you had to plan every journey as you knew you might come under attack at some point (random or outposts/hotspots). Same in Elden Ring - you can be dragged into combat and killed at any point so few journeys are full or repetitive. 

You can't really talk about GTAV without talking about the online.

The possibilities it offers in terms of social interaction, emergent gameplay, and non-traditional gameplay loops are pretty much unlike any other game, which is why it's still so incredibly popular.

Elden Ring is an open-world soulslike, which is something very narrow and specific in comparison.

The whole question is silly really.

11 minutes ago, Isaac said:

You can't really talk about GTAV without talking about the online.

The possibilities it offers in terms of social interaction, emergent gameplay, and non-traditional gameplay loops are pretty much unlike any other game, which is why it's still so incredibly popular.

Elden Ring is an open-world soulslike, which is something very narrow and specific in comparison.

The whole question is silly really.

Fair enough - I’ve only ever played GTA online briefly. I’ve never really got on with the :D GTA games - the controls are too unwieldy imo. Exercise in frustration

Elden Ring: Amazing sense of discovery through environment and enemy variety. 

Botw: Brilliant use of starting toolkit throughout the world. 

Skyrim: *Checks internet for what's good*... Lore in books throughout! 

GTA V/ RDR2: World's feel lived in, and are incredible tech show pieces. 

And most others are just UI simulators.

Whatever world takes your fancy really. I like Elden Ring above the others because each part of the world holds a challenge of some sort, and you are rewarded more suitably than the rest.

It actually has level design too if comparing to BotW. Level design and puzzle design are different things. BotW lost a big part of its Zelda identity when it stripped it's levels bare, and just made them puzzle simulators. In the past their was always a balance. 

I am biased against BotW though, since I am such a classic Zelda fan. Closed minded old plonker I guess.

I don't think Elden's overworld's particularly special. There's an incredible amount of points of interest on it that are worth finding and heading into, but I think both Dragon's Dogma and BOTW did the moment to moment traversal better. DD had items and chests and coins and fights behind every rock as well as the best representation of night that I've seen (it's pitch black, super enemies come crawling out of their graves and you're blindly running at the mercy of a lantern's inadequate light), and BOTW had a strong sense of world design - freezing snow, murderously hot deserts, mild puzzles nearly always within eyeshot and varied, quirky visual cues as to what was going on in the world.

It's hard to say what the Lands Between didn't nail, but I didn't engage with it in the way I do with others aside from some overworld bits that force you to stop and explore rather than just darting around the place. Cool scenic design, mind.

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Mate I've never managed to play more than the opening few hours of this "game", so fucking boring, you don't do fucking anything except watch some weird animatronics play out some Deadwood cosplay. 

I don't love RDR2 (it's a bit slow for me) but even I can admit that it is the most intricately handcrafted video game of all time.

Most other video games don't even come close to the level of quality and detail they achieved. Including Elden Ring. 

Just as an artistic achievement it is incredible. But yes, it is slow and definitely a mood piece. I can play it when I'm in the mood. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Because it's a Sony exclusive, and and many won't have played it because so many rely on their lord and saviour, Gamepass.

Forbidden West's Open world is right up there, with plenty to discover, explore, and delight. Also, one of the main complaints about Zero Dawn's open world when compared to BotW at the time is that in Zelda you can climb anywhere, but couldn't in Zero Dawn. Elden Ring doesn't have any climbing or gliding, but no-one's grumbling about that now are they? Double standards ahoy! 

Zelda's weapon degradation however is said by many to be really good, and actually makes the game better ... serious mental gymnastics there.

Besides, the best open world game ever made is Skyrim. ;)

Basically, this is a highly subjective topic. Is Elden Ring up there? Sure, as is BotW, Skyrim, GTA 5, Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, both Horizon Games etc. It's nigh on impossible to rate them in a definitive list.

I think this is a pretty literalist interpretation of what people disliked about HZD - I don't think the criticism was bemoaning the lack of climbing mechanic in the game, but that the traversal felt dull in contrast to BotW. HZD was pretty flat topographically which made moving from location to location a bit of a slog - you just found the icon on the map you were interested in and rushed to it, and the only obstacles you faced were the herds of enemies you might encounter. There wasn't much in the way of vistas to draw the eye to interesting locations or worthwhile side content other than the cauldrons. I think they've done a much better job of this in FW, but it still isn't as elegant as BotW's approach.

I would guess that people aren't complaining about the lack of climbing in Elden Ring as there's a lot of verticality to the space - there's a puzzle element to the navigation of the landscape that stops it becoming a boring trek from point A to B, especially when trying to figure out a path to a tantalising spot on the map. Not to mention there's lots of stuff to look at as you go about your business - you know that any structures you come across will house something of interest! 

2 hours ago, robdood said:

Its funny actually, those features like log and boulder rolling in zelda are pretty much useless and unneeded for the whole game once you leave the tutorial. 

They are useless if all you want to do is progress the quest and apart from a few signposted set piece ways of clearing an enemy encampment the mechanics aren't essential.

The fact I can watch a YouTube video of some dude using a massive metal door to propel himself into the sky and then fly straight into the middle of Ganon's castle is what makes it special. The interaction with the world makes for countless possibilities.

For me BotW is still the best open world game.

I am not reading any Elden Ring threads at all, so I don’t know anything about this except the title.

I do have one niggle after playing last night though. I gained the ability to summon a horse right as I was about to switch off. I wanted to save that experience for my next session, so instead I went back to a merchant to offload some souls runes before logging out. When I got there I met an NPC who told me she had come to find me after hearing tales of someone galloping around on a horse.

Right, wasn’t me love. Thanks though.

1 minute ago, Darwock said:

I am not reading any Elden Ring threads at all, so I don’t know anything about this except the title.

I do have one niggle after playing last night though. I gained the ability to summon a horse right as I was about to switch off. I wanted to save that experience for my next session, so instead I went back to a merchant to offload some souls runes before logging out. When I got there I met an NPC who told me she had come to find me after hearing tales of someone galloping around on a horse.

Right, wasn’t me love. Thanks though.

🤔

I bought BotW on the same day as HZD. Had a WiiU at the time. Gave BotW a couple of hours and knew it was special as fuck. Decided to play Horizon first to save best 'till last. Ended up blown away by HZD and rinsing every little bit of it and its DLC. Incredible game.

Came time for me to play BotW and I'd bought a Switch by then, so ditched my few hours on the WiiU and bought it for Switch. I had so much on the go by then, most of the games in this thread, plus God of War. 

Long story short, this thread has me wanting to do nothing but play a fuck ton of incredible game worlds after Elden, so many mentioned in here that I own but have yet to fully commit too, BotW being the topper most.

Fucking hell, I have Forbidden West here also. Games have never been better, and I've never felt there's not enough hours in the day more. RDR2, as well, Jesus.

4 hours ago, Isaac said:

In terms of impact and mindshare, let's be realistic - GTA5 is the most important open world game released in the past decade, and will continue to be until GTA6.

It's also the most fun online open world game by a country mile.

Skyrim :quote:

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Only 53 hours. Clearly not enough. 

Fair enough. Just struck me as odd to describe the world itself as ‘nothing special’ - I’ve had so many WOW moments as I stumble across new areas and the map expands. 

My rule of thumb for open worlds is that they have to either be interesting to exist in and explore (e.g. Red Dead), or the mechanic of navigating around them has to enjoyable in itself (e.g. Spider-Man).

Elden Ring has the first in spades, but Breath of the Wild is unique because it's brilliant at both.