Fromsoft have literally made the best open world game on their first try, change my mind.

robdood

I think the issue with this type of thread is that you don't really want your mind changed, you just want to spark debate. Unfortunately the confrontational and aggressive tone make it hard to get past - obviously it was intended to be lighthearted but it can be misconstrued. Add that to the slightly aggressive responses given to alternative takes and it leaves something to be desired.

A discussion of good/bad open world is worthwhile though. However open world isn't a genre, you can have open world racing, RPG, action, space sim etc. Personally I am not a fan of the Ubisoft style open world and I find them quite unfocused in general. Technically you could say MS FLight Sim has the best open world as it has the most accurate recreation :)

When it comes to action I quite like GTA5 in small doses but again too large and unfocused.

I love No Man's Sky and Minecraft for pottering about in a low impact way. Both those worlds are procedurally generated but both throw up fascinating scenarios and encourage exploration

For racing I love Forza Horizon and Test Drive Unlimited.

Older open world games tended to work better for me. Elite, Midwinter, Mercenary and Hunter were all superb and easily piss over any Ubisoft game.

The crux though is do I think Elden Ring is a good open world. I will never know as I bounce off From Software releases. I have tried 3 and all of them I found impenetrable therefore the open world could be the best constructed one known to man but the actual gameplay is not my thing.

49 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Skyrim :quote:

I genuinely don't get why skyrim is so popular, it's the driest, most mundane adventure I've ever played. And man I was obsessed with it, but I didn't do any story really, I just crept around killing stuff in identical looking dungeons with my bow for about 80hrs. The actual 'game' parts are weak as fuck man. Awful combat, magic is pathetic, etc. 

I loved that cool underground place with the glowy mushrooms though! That was the single most imaginative thing in the whole game. 

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

They are useless if all you want to do is progress the quest and apart from a few signposted set piece ways of clearing an enemy encampment the mechanics aren't essential.

The fact I can watch a YouTube video of some dude using a massive metal door to propel himself into the sky and then fly straight into the middle of Ganon's castle is what makes it special. The interaction with the world makes for countless possibilities.

For me BotW is still the best open world game.

Well kind of, but that example you've given is a glitch / bug tho, most people are not supposed to play the game like that. 

I think they underused the systems they put in place. There's like only one or two instances of dried out grass you can set on fire, for example, and one of those is on the tutorial island! 

Just seemed a waste in hindsight. I love BotW, but my favourite part was traversing the world, definitely more than combat (lol it was so bad) or playing with the simulation. 

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

It broke my immersion a bit. They should have set the flag to ‘has summoned a horse’ instead of ‘can summon a horse’.

I guess you were just the first person on being given a new ability who didn't immediately think to try it out.

39 minutes ago, Clipper said:

the confrontational and aggressive tone make it hard to get past

Lol what the actual. 

Confrontational and aggressive? Amazing. 

No wonder Harsin made that weird topic! 

I really wanted to like BotW, but it didn’t provide any of the mystery and adventure I’ve been searching since the original The Legend of Zelda. Turned out what I actually wanted was Elden Ring. I would go as far as to say that Elden Ring is my “The Legend of Zelda 2” and all that ALttP/OOT/BotW stuff was just filler trying to streamline stuff that should have been messy and rough. 

Only the very first Zelda has that feeling of discovery, befuddlement, and mystery that its sequels attempt to invoke but don’t, in order to keep things agreeable for all parties involved. Elden Ring does all that and in doing so, rekindled my love for video games. I genuinely don’t know what else could top this. 

It’s the first game in decades that doesn’t treat its players as infantile and to me this is as important as playing Ico, Rez, or Super Metroid. 

Finally. A good fucking adventure game. 

5 minutes ago, robdood said:

Lol what the actual. 

Confrontational and aggressive? Amazing. 

No wonder Harsin made that weird topic! 

Yes it is a matter of impression given and interpretation which varies massively.

OP: I like this thing it is the BEST THING EVER

Change my mind

Go on bet you can't.

Response - Well this thing I think is better

OP - THat thing is fucking boring you dont fucking do anything.

or - Jesus Christ seek help.

I know the intention is lighthearted but It can be interpreted differently. That is probably why the first response to your post was "this will go well" and probably why Harsin posted as he did. The whole joke of "git gud" doesn't help and makes the fans of these games seem a little too evangelical :D

4 hours ago, AstroBot said:

haha.  I loved the settlement building aspect the rest of the game less so.

Me too. I liked fortifying my settlements and building weird structures. Most of all I loved exploring Boston and it was quite a way into the game before I hit an invisible wall. People like to be really dismissive about Fallout 4 but it gave me about two hundred hours of fun little experiences and odd things to find, so I loved it completely. One of the few games I've bothered to get a platinum trophy for as well, I just didn't want it to end.

13 hours ago, jonamok said:

Breath of the Wild was the best game ever made until two weeks ago.

But FROM have created something that is so far beyond BotW, it boggles my mind that anyone could argue to the contrary.

They are fundamentally different games with superficial similarities.

The archetypal piece of Elden Ring so far is jousting with a housed sized dude in some sort of poison swamp. Sorry that's a lie. The archetypal Elden Ring experience so far is rolling off a cliff while being chased by bats that one will one shot me in a grab.

For all the incredible areas and secrets, it's a combat heavy game and the mass of the game is directed toward it. If it was a colour it'd be red.

The archetypal Zelda experience is climbing to the top of the hill to see your next goal, spying something else that you just have to see, so gliding off in that direction for a gander and picking up a seed or a weapon and heading off for something else. Actually this is a lie. The archetypal game is a trial of strength with the same three enemies.

For all the terror of early game encounters with Lynels or Guardians, the game is much more focused on experimentation with systems, exploration and the little puzzle rooms than combat. You can generally avoid most combat if you want. If it was a colour it'd be blue.

While they share some DNA. I think the key thing is - if I knew you were a fan of one, I'd not necessarily recommend the other.

I have preferred Zelda so far. It felt much more like the shock of the new. But not by much.

1 hour ago, robdood said:

I genuinely don't get why skyrim is so popular, it's the driest, most mundane adventure I've ever played.

You can easily find thousands of players who say the same about From Software's games though, they just don't understand the appeal of them.

It's why when it comes to the 'best' game, music or film there is no such thing really as it is all far too subjective to have a universal 'best' game in any genre.

If Red Dead Redemption 2 hadn't come from a studio most famous for its laddish output it'd get double the acclaim on rllmuk. No, not by everyone obv. 

Rockstar San Diego crafted an absolute bona fide masterpiece, the world is the least open world generated feeling place I've ever played. Absolutely none of that Skyrim and Witcher 3 'empty canvas with assets' feel. 

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a tiny place but a close second in realistic land. 

9 hours ago, robdood said:

I think they underused the systems they put in place. There's like only one or two instances of dried out grass you can set on fire, for example, and one of those is on the tutorial island! 

Just seemed a waste in hindsight.

I much prefer that they underused certain mechanics. So many ideas in the game that they didn't rely on one special thing over and over and over. I think the best games do that.

12 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I love the Zelda games. Love them to bits. Ocarina of Time is better than Breath of the Wild. 

I enjoyed BOTW for a while but It isn't anywhere in my top few Zeldas, like ALTTP, OOT or MM.

Lads, lads simmer down alright. I don't have a horse in this battle (cos Elden Ring is the best game ever) but I just wanted to pop in and say Skyrim is absolute crap and anyone who plays it extensively wanks off to elves.

25 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Lads, lads simmer down alright. I don't have a horse in this battle (cos Elden Ring is the best game ever) but I just wanted to pop in and say Skyrim is absolute crap and anyone who plays it extensively wanks off to elves.

Woof!

image.thumb.png.022afca0060dd174ba14cdc03b895ebd.png

Obviously, opinions may differ but I've been gaming since 1980 - there's been a slew of games across so many systems which have made a huge impact. Star Raiders, Necromancer, F-Zero, all the 'vanias - through to the Witcher 3 - in fact to list them here is nigh on impossible. Regardless of what you class Elden Ring as, its surpasses them all of them.

Someone here said they thought they hated open world games (for me Skyrim and Witcher 3 aside). In fact they just hate Ubitsoft games.

Its simply breathtaking, The level of detail, the vastness of the world. Everytime I thime I think I've seen everything (so far - taken out the two big first bosses and lots of secondary ones).

I checked - 124 hours level 68. And I just rode my horse through huge catapults, madness inflicting rats and a raptor flying gracefully over the chaos. Its simply sublime.

This is the best game ever. The only argument I can find against it is that the Gamergate crowd won't like all the powerful female characters and the gender fluidity when you create your character.

For me, this is without a doubt the best game ever.

53 minutes ago, Mallet said:

You can easily find thousands of players who say the same about From Software's games though, they just don't understand the appeal of them.

It's why when it comes to the 'best' game, music or film there is no such thing really as it is all far too subjective to have a universal 'best' game in any genre.

yes!thankyou.gif

Also, a bit of a tangent, but the “BotW is the best ever” stuff during launch equally grated back then. It’s a weird mishmash set in a popular IP and I feel the open-world Zelda didn’t reach its potential at all. 

Didn’t stop people from steamrolling my thoughts about it. There’s a sense of “payback” with Elden Ring. Especially because Zelda-games have been routinely excused of horrible game design in the last three installments. (I realize, ironically, that From Software is achieving a similar status these days.)

There are plenty of issues in Elden Ring, but TP/SS/BotW were, imo, horrible template variations that didn’t get what made the Zelda-series great to begin with. It was such a relief to replay Link’s Awakening and rediscover a Zelda that was at ease with itself. Which is weird as it wasn’t created by the default Zelda team. 

1 hour ago, Dark Soldier said:

Lads, lads simmer down alright. I don't have a horse in this battle (cos Elden Ring is the best game ever) but I just wanted to pop in and say Skyrim is absolute crap and anyone who plays it extensively wanks off elves.

Fixed.

5 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

There are plenty of issues in Elden Ring, but TP/SS/BotW were, imo, horrible template variations that didn’t get what made the Zelda-series great to begin with.  

Without meaning to go totally off topic, TP/SS/BotW are very, very different games from each other. I wouldn't go as far as to call them 'template variations'.

TP is attempting to do Ocarina of Time 2.

SS is a Zelda that is almost entirely dungeons (with some of, if not the best dungeons in the series) but with an afterthought for an overworld, it might as well not have one and just be a dungeon pack.

BotW is the opposite - a stunning sandbox overworld with rubbish dungeons.

They each accentuate different parts of what makes Zelda great, and your enjoyment of each is quite dependant on what it is you love about Zelda, in my opinion.

I thought Links Awakening worked better on game boy and didn't like the new art style, for what it is worth.

I played BotW and didn't enjoy the start much although its a lovely game with some great mechanics.

Elden Ring i can't put down. Its mental because everything i hate about open world genres it puts to bed. Hard bosses become addictive and you seek and farm the entire world to level up. Normally i'd hate having to do that and see everything first. But its fantastic.

The monsters and art style are stunning too. You want to play to see what kick ass monster its going to throw your way. Not to mention the level monsters which are sometimes so freaky.

Its so good at making you feel uncomftable that i spotted a flag waving through a castle window and thought it was a huge boss.

Yeah, that’s the thing. For me Zelda is the balance of the overworld functioning as the grand dungeon with the dungeons as sub-parts. 

This is why I connect so hard with ER, it is exactly that. Each of the three recent Zelda’s is trying to perfect its own little Triforce shard leaving the other elements anemic. LA is way better in heavy grid based graphics imo, but the way everything connects to each other is superior to its big brothers for me. 

I’ve played ER for 70 hours now and I don’t want it to stop. I honestly can’t even remember another game that generated that feeling, so obviously this is heavily colouring my opinion. 

From what I understand there is arguably less "world" to the open world in elden ring than there is in botw? No settlements, no concept that the world ticks along without you?

One thing i thought botw does that is neat is having occasional characters actually go to other places/ camps. Not a hell of a lot and the economies in these games never really make any sense but to my understanding elden ring has even less of that?

Great exploration, brilliantly made large map but not really a coherent world that you're visiting? 

I've not played it yet as I haven't enjoyed any of their previous games and I don't see how this one is different aside from it being free form exploration rather than (at least semi) funnelled down a particular path?

To that end, I have real difficulty with all of R* games, they are at total odds with themselves and rdr 2 is a beautiful world but the story isn't open in the slightest. You can go anywhere you want (to a point and when the game lets you) but the "open world" of rdr2 is almost in opposition to it's own story. It allows you to go off and make an absolute fortune in hunting or poker playing but you always have to move camps when the game wants and you can't just buy off (or out) the ones that continually stitch you up for the purposes of the story. 

Botw is closer to an immersive sim but in an open world than the open worlds of rockstar or the even worse ubisoft variety. 

I may be misunderstanding the elden ring offering though which is why I've blathered on so if I have, I've not done it to troll, or ruffle feathers.

2 minutes ago, b00dles said:

From what I understand there is arguably less "world" in elden ring than there is in botw? No settlements, no concept that the world ticks along without you? The world is dying, that’s why. 

One thing i thought botw does that is neat is having occasional characters actually go to other places/ camps. characters in Elden ring do this too. 

Not a hell of a lot and the economies in these games never really make any sense but to my understanding elden ring has even less of that? I don’t know what you mean - both have pretty simplistic economies- go to one of any number of vendors and buy stuff. 

Great exploration, brilliantly made large map but not really a coherent world that you're visiting? Depends what you mean by coherent. All the zones blend together in ways that make sense, it’s a very “real” feeling world. 

I've not played it yet as I haven't enjoyed any of their previous games and I don't see how this one is different aside from it being free form exploration rather than (at least semi) funnelled down a particular path? Well, yes. It’s the From game formula polished to within an inch and transported lovingly into a beautiful open world. 

To that end, I have real difficulty with all of R* games, they are at total odds with themselves and rdr 2 is a beautiful world but the story isn't open in the slightest. You can go anywhere you want (to a point and when the game lets you) but the "open world" of rdr2 is almost in opposition to it's own story. It allows you to go off and make an absolute fortune in hunting or poker playing but you always have to move camps when the game wants and you can't just buy off (or out) the ones that continually stitch you up for the purposes of the story. 

Botw is closer to an immersive sim but in an open world than the open worlds of rockstar or the even worse ubisoft variety.