IGNORED

Fromsoft have literally made the best open world game on their first try, change my mind.

robdood

You can no doubt attribute the same to BotW when that came out.

"But it's Zelda without the bits that make it a Zelda whats so good about that?"

"Well you can climb and roll a boulder down a hill and the weapons break. Just play it and you'll see"

Then its played and its a holy shit moment. Its a game that has mastered all the sums of its parts whilst putting all that in an interesting open world so vast in scope and beauty and discovery that its actually astonishing that it exists. I said similar about BotW at the time. That laid the groundwork, this has built on top of it.

It's expanded the usual Souls meta and style and given the player so many tools and ways to accomplish in a world that is so wholly against you, in your existence within it. 

If you despise Souls combat then you will probably not have a good time with that one aspect but the sense of discovery within its wonderfully varied, beautifully realised world, alongside the absolute trust FROM has put in the player to explore and adapt and learn is unmatched in this genre.

Ubi guides you to every single aspect of its game, every single location. It doesn't want you to miss a thing. FROM have put so much into this, with so much care and love that you can easily miss. And they really don't care if you do. It's your choice and prerogative to unearth it.

If you want to twat your head against a boss for hours without venturing out there to see what's about, level up, get new gear, experience NPC quests, go on adventures, then you can. But you're gonna have a shite old time.

You will make more discoveries, have more freedom, and will be more challenged and engaged in one session of Elden Ring than you will with entire other games. It's honestly quite absurd how good it is at times.

6 hours ago, dizogg said:

Why were you playing video games whilst your mum was visiting? She’ll be gone one day you know.

Hey, she turned up whilst I was helping a fellow hunter in a chalice. I couldn't abandon a fellow hunter. Its hunter code man. 

7 hours ago, partious said:

I know this is just the usual post release "latest From game is best ____ ever!!" topic, but From fans really are quite awful at putting the appeal of these games into words to explain the hyperbole to people who aren't already fans of the From template.  I will however accept that if your previous favorite game was the last From release, and before that the one they released before that, this probably is the greatest open world game because why wouldn't it be?

I've read this entire thread and have no idea what people think makes this the best open world ever. Best I can gather is that it's the latest game with Souls mechanics and happens to be open world and therefore it must be the best open world game. Is that about it, or is there anything more to it? What does this game do in terms of the open world that elevates it above other open worlds and might help explain the appeal to people who aren't already sold on From games, other than be a From game set in a large/open world?

I don't think BOTW is the perfect game but even in this Elden Ring thread its fans are certainly far better at articulating what they feel it added to the open world genre, beyond just " it's a Zelda game and it's open world therefore best open world".

It’s a Ubigame without the Ubi-cruft. A Nintendo game without the handholding. An anti-Uncharted. 

You’re discovering a world instead of checking off todo-lists, finding the next glowy dungeon, or help the next NPC gather 20 hides. It really is that simple. It is less obvious. There is more mystery and more wonder as a result. 

The Souls template is merely icing on the cake. 

Also, another thing.

I woke up thinking about Elden Ring which is something in itself albeit not that unusual these days but, interestingly, I was recalling the conclusion of yesterdays adventures more as if I had watched a film rather than played a game. 

After a day of wandering the world I finished up last night by making this amazing journey through a towering, overhanging, gorge before winding my way up the side of a cliff through a series of mines and tunnels, and the remains of ruined buildings carved out of the mountain, to somewhere very high indeed . Looking behind me I could see a huge building entrance carved, Petra like, into the rock face and guarded by monumental knight statues and stretching out beyond an endless vista of places I’d walked through (or at least below). It was epic and truly cinematic and all conveyed without any dialogue, without any exposition, with no cut scenes, and no markers telling me to go this way or follow the particular path I chose. I feel like it was I that was making the story, not the developers, and that is a real testament to their skills. It probably helps that your avatar never speaks which leaves your own imagination to do the characters thinking, if that makes sense.

It is truly an astonishing thing.

I was then killed by a harpie.

I do wonder if it could use some gated progression. I realise this kind of goes against the idea of an open-world game being completely ‘open’, but the issue I’m having now is that I’m twatting most of the bosses I’m coming across in 5 or 6 hits, so it’s not feeling quite as satisfying as it could. If my progression was paced out a bit more I doubt that would be happening.

What’s strange is that there are places where they’ve kind of implemented some gating, but then not really as there are ways around it.

As much as the sense of freedom is great, I do think it can have a negative effect as well.

9 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I do wonder if it could use some gated progression. I realise this kind of goes against the idea of an open-world game being completely ‘open’, but the issue I’m having now is that I’m twatting most of the bosses I’m coming across in 5 or 6 hits, so it’s not feeling quite as satisfying as it could. If my progression was paced out a bit more I doubt that would be happening.

What’s strange is that there are places where they’ve kind of implemented some gating, but then not really as there are ways around it.

As much as the sense of freedom is great, I do think it can have a negative effect as well.

I think it is an interesting trade-off - not gating progression gives it more of a sandbox feel and also puts the emphasis back on creating interesting builds. It feels like they want you to "break" the game in this one by coming up with fun builds and strategies, moving away from the pure "git gud" approach of their earlier, more linear games. Also this means they have really leant into exploration rather than boss battles. Undoubtedly why this one feels both more accessible and more mysterious than ever, quite an achievement.

Once the dust settles, veterans who loved the boss battles more than anything else might be a little disappointed. But if you want to play it as an old school Bloodborne/Sekiro boss battler, with a little self control you absolutely can do that as well.

50 minutes ago, jonamok said:

This is basically a glorified crustacean battle simulator. Crabs, lobsters and fokkin prawns. What has Miyazaki got against shellfish?

Nothing. You should try the boiled prawn. It's delicious. 🦐🦐🦐

19 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Could you post your spec? I am finding a lot of the sub bosses a bit of a pushover, but still having to put in real effort to get past the big bosses along the main quest path. 

Even most of the gating I've found so far I wouldn't call real gating - apart from needing 

Spoiler

two lord souls to enter the capital. 

It seems, for example, that there's nothing to stop you 

Spoiler

going up the Lift of Dectus, reaching Volcano Manor, perhaps even fighting Radagan (?) right away, if you just ride Torrent straight from the starting point to the relevant places!

2 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Once the dust settles, veterans who loved the boss battles more than anything else might be a little disappointed. But if you want to play it as an old school Bloodborne/Sekiro boss battler, with a little self control you absolutely can do that as well.

I think you’re absolutely right, but I’ve never been a fan of playing something differently in order to get what I want from it, I prefer the experience to be designed. It’s just a matter of personal taste I guess.

Ok OP I will change your mind. 

From have not made the best open world game on their first try. 

Because their first open world game was, probably (?) King's Field. I don't know because I didn't ever play it but I think this is the case.

So unless KIng's Field is better than Skyrim and GTA 5 and WItcher 3 (dunno, it might be, I never played it) then your statement is wrong. 

Even Dark Souls is basically just as much of an open world game as Elden Ring, just considerably more compact. 

1 minute ago, Anne Summers said:

Could you post your spec? I am finding a lot of the sub bosses a bit of a pushover, but still having to put in real effort to get past the big bosses along the main quest path. 

Even most of the gating I've found so far I wouldn't call real gating - apart from needing 

Hide contents

two lord souls to enter the capital. 

It seems, for example, that there's nothing to stop you 

Hide contents

going up the Lift of Dectus, reaching Volcano Manor, perhaps even fighting Radagan (?) right away, if you just ride Torrent straight from the starting point to the relevant places!

Not at my Xbox right now, but I think I’m at about 90 hours on the clock and level 85, with an emphasis on Vigor and Strength.

There’s no doubt that I’m quite OP for a lot of the enemies I’m encountering, I just wish they’d governed my progression a little more. That said, it’s still the best thing I’ve played since Death Stranding and will surely be my GOTY.

6 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Not at my Xbox right now, but I think I’m at about 90 hours on the clock and level 85, with an emphasis on Vigor and Strength.

There’s no doubt that I’m quite OP for a lot of the enemies I’m encountering, I just wish they’d governed my progression a little more. That said, it’s still the best thing I’ve played since Death Stranding and will surely be my GOTY.

Having so many Estus crimson flasks seems to be a part of it ... I think I have 11 now and they all fill my health pretty much from nothing to full (vigor is around 25) and no idea if it's topped out yet. 

41 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

I think it is an interesting trade-off - not gating progression gives it more of a sandbox feel and also puts the emphasis back on creating interesting builds. It feels like they want you to "break" the game in this one by coming up with fun builds and strategies, moving away from the pure "git gud" approach of their earlier, more linear games. Also this means they have really leant into exploration rather than boss battles. Undoubtedly why this one feels both more accessible and more mysterious than ever, quite an achievement.

This, in a nutshell, is why it's the most "accessible" game From have ever produced. I started out intending to be a holy paladin type, found some lighting spells so have been stacking Faith and now when I'm not crushing things with a fiery mace of death I've just been zapping everything from relative safety. It's making some sections a bit easier than expected but that was all because of choices I've made in the game to do that.

Also even bosses you are levelled a bit past can sometimes still one shot you with some attacks, so the fight usually goes much the same, just in a very bitesize chunk of the usual boss stress.

Elden Ring is a lack of compromise. Usually you throw a game in a large open world where you can go off in any direction and make discoveries and it makes compromises to make that format work. Funnily enough BOTW did this with the biggest example being the lack of legacy dungeons and instead having good gameplay wise, but meh discovery wise shrines. That was the compromise they needed to make BOTW work, they couldn't have every shrine be like a zelda style dungeon in that design. 

Elden Ring says fuck that. It grants an open world which is genuinely hard to comprehend size wise but it feels like they're trimmed the fat of crap that devs put in open world games yet its one of the biggest ones around. I'm 60 hours in and I haven't even seen a huge part of the map yet. Each node feels unique and each corner or cliffside can lead to a new discovery or visual point to reach. All while the legacy dungeons, intricate vague mysterious NPC quests, multiplayer system, satisfying challenging combat with many different build and approach options are still not only valid but refined from before. People are saying it is the best open world game precisely because it doesn't feel like your typical open world game and it hasn't made the same majority of compromises that most open world games need to make. Even the best ones.

The main thing I hate about most open world games is their lack of respect for the player's time. Long stretches of nothing with bursts of gameplay between. Elden Ring is designed in a way that makes every moment gratifying and interesting, and for me that is why it's the best open world game I've played. By far.

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Do enemies roam around freely in this, or are they all placed and will forever respawn in the same place like other souls games?

Both.

As an open world newb, and sorry in advance if by asking and you replying you feel your time is wasted, what is it about Elden Ring that jumps to another level? 

I've never played a Souls game, I'm too lazy to hack and slash and feel like that's going to be an obstacle to getting much from them when they demand so much effort from you. The atmosphere and exploration appeals though. I loved the Lord of The Rings films, so it feels like it captures some of that. Like entering the lair of a giant spider really appeals, if there's anything like that. 

But the best thing about Ocarina of Time for me was the dungeons, being lost in these spaces with puzzles and indiana jones style booby traps, that sense of being trapped and moving through spaces that change as you interact with them, they're spooky and moody and mysterious and you don't know where they will lead you. Does Souls or Elden Ring have any of that? Nintendo seemed to tap into that better than anyone but since Ocarina they've been less interested in it. Dungeons with several layers that unfold, not just spaces with generic puzzles in them. 

9 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

As an open world newb, and sorry in advance if by asking and you replying you feel your time is wasted, what is it about Elden Ring that jumps to another level? 

I've never played a Souls game, I'm too lazy to hack and slash and feel like that's going to be an obstacle to getting much from them when they demand so much effort from you. The atmosphere and exploration appeals though. I loved the Lord of The Rings films, so it feels like it captures some of that. 

But the best thing about Ocarina of Time for me was the dungeons, being lost in these spaces with puzzles and indiana jones style booby traps, that sense of being trapped and moving through spaces that change as you interact with them, they're spooky and moody and mysterious and you don't know where they will lead you. Does Souls or Elden Ring have any of that? Nintendo seemed to tap into that better than anyone but since Ocarina they've been less interested in it. Dungeons with several layers that unfold, not just spaces with generic puzzles in them. 

This is the best Ocarina of Time game, since Ocarina of time.

Ok, maybe not quite, but the dungeons wrap and contort on themselves in a very similar way. Puzzles (block pushing etc) is not part of the FS formula, but the level design is truly something else. 

You get lost in the spaces, and are eager to see what is around every corner. 

And that is just what makes all FS games great. This also has a breathtaking open world to be part of too, which also feels incredibly designed, and makes you want to explore it. 

Edit: and there are traps flipping everywhere. Watch your step! 

9 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I've never played a Souls game, I'm too lazy to hack and slash and feel like that's going to be an obstacle to getting much from them when they demand so much effort from you. The atmosphere and exploration appeals though. I loved the Lord of The Rings films, so it feels like it captures some of that. Like entering the lair of a giant spider really appeals, if there's anything like that. 

The dungeon design in this is some of the best in the series and certainly where it has a very considerable edge over BOTW.

Yeah there are no traditional style block or hit this with your bow arrow style puzzles. The true and incredibly satisfying puzzles are when you are in an environment or a legacy dungeon and you see a place or item you want to get to and you try and figure out, "how do i get there". It is way more enticing that some stupid videogamey shit. It's active exploration and thinking around that that is rewarded.