IGNORED

Fromsoft make great games but have a really obnoxious fanbase, change my mind.

Harsin

Lol I can't believe Harsin got so wound up by a drunken post I made last night at 1am, he had to have a weird dig at me like this. 

You OK hun? 

Unfortunately, it's kinda true. I think you have the late arrivals latching onto the hot newness that they missed out on before and are trying to make up for it by being very, very loud about the game.

Not just Fromsoft, mind. I find Nier Automata's fans even worse, and the Devil May Cry fanbase is legendarily bad. And there's been worse in the past.

Mainly though, I don't think there needs to be three or four threads on the same game. Seen that happen a few times as of late, and I think a good old thread merge would be a good idea to cut down on front page topic clutter.

29 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

While the Nintendo fanbase still exists no other fanbase can be considered bad.

Those folks are mental. Willing to defend Nintendo for anything even though they are a horrible company. 

You tend to get very vocal fanbases about any kind of media which is both high quality and feels like like the product of an auteur. From's games tick both of those boxes. Even if of high quality, you don't get the same kind of passionate fanbase for a Horizon or a Far Cry because they don't feel like the product of an auteur, they very much feel like what they are: products made by teams of thousands and with a distinct whiff of focus group to them.

7 minutes ago, Ry said:

Those folks are mental. Willing to defend Nintendo for anything even though they are a horrible company. 

I know we are all still upset they didn’t bring streetpass to switch but it’s going a bit far to call them horrible. 

8 minutes ago, Majora said:

You tend to get very vocal fanbases about any kind of media which is both high quality and feels like like the product of an auteur. From's games tick both of those boxes. Even if of high quality, you don't get the same kind of passionate fanbase for a Horizon or a Far Cry because they don't feel like the product of an auteur, they very much feel like what they are: products made by teams of thousands and with a distinct whiff of focus group to them.

What the fuck is this shit?! It’s us Far Cry 2 fans who are rightly regarded as the crème de la crème, as we were the ones who recognised the only genuine work of art the medium of video games has ever produced.

14 minutes ago, ZOK said:

What the fuck is this shit?! It’s us Far Cry 2 fans who are rightly regarded as the crème de la crème, as we were the ones who recognised the only genuine work of art the medium of video games has ever produced.

Until Elden Ring came out and joined it on the pedestal. The two GOATS.

3 hours ago, Flanders said:

Some good non-gaming examples are Christopher Nolan, the Beatles and Barcelona FC 2009-2011. Legions of very very annoying fans, but the annoying counter-takes said fans inspired are unfortunately insipid shit and sadly at this point more annoying than the original obnoxious fan base. 

Christopher Nolan cannot write female characters to save his life and that is a hill I am perfectly willing to die on.

He also has serious exposition issues.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

If you want to ruin something you love go and join its subreddit. It's like the internet is just a mass of entitled dickheads whining about shit.

Except the Succession subreddit, which is genuinely great.

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

To be fair Far Cry 2 is the only game in the Far Cry series that isn't a Far Cry game.

We may as well turn this into a Far Cry 2 thread. Here’s an interesting essay about the extraction of pleasure from tragedy in the game:

Every theory of aesthetics must be able to explain what is commonly known as "The Paradox of Tragedy". The paradox goes as follows: if tragedy causes an unpleasant response in a subject, how is it that we ultimately derive pleasure? Several theories have been posited by philosophers ranging from Aristotle to Hume, but few stand up to serious scrutiny.

However, an essay[1] from 1983 published by Susan Feagin entitled The Pleasures of Tragedy introduces a theory which appears to unravel the paradox.

This paper explores how Feagin's theory is useful in understanding unscripted tragic narratives through a critical examination of Ubisoft's 2008 open-world shooter, Far Cry 2.

http://ceasarbautista.com/essays/far_cry.html