Fromsoft make great games but have a really obnoxious fanbase, change my mind.

Harsin

all this talk about parrying windows...you do know there is a PARRYING shield WITH A BIGGER WINDOW! right...RIGHT!!?! The buckler. its in the game, it has been since demons. its already there!

and the talk of cuts here and there...it would be like that "once upon a deadpool" movie...yeah its ...."there".,..but its not right is it. thats what you get...

But like so many people get stuck on the bosses. Summoning can help, but it can also hinder. Dynamic difficulty scaling on bosses is probably the elegant solution. 

I solo'd all of dark souls - I have been conditioned to never play a game on easy mode somewhere along my life. But with Elden Ring I have taken all the help I can get with the bosses. I love the spectacle of them, and having a few tries and then getting past them is quite fun, but it's not the best thing about the games. Not even close. 

Just now, 5R7 said:

all this talk about parrying windows...you do know there is a PARRYING shield WITH A BIGGER WINDOW! right...RIGHT!!?! The buckler. its in the game, it has been since demons. its already there!

and the talk of cuts here and there...it would be like that "once upon a deadpool" movie...yeah its ...."there".,..but its not right is it. thats what you get...

The parrying windows don't need to be longer. Parrying is nowhere near necessary.

But they really could do with telegraphing better when to parry (and what you can and can't).

Sekiro did this very well to a point (the big monsters I struggled to read when I could parry them for example, but I loved the Genichiro fight).

34 minutes ago, Zael said:

Of course its an assumption. This didn't actually happen so all we can make are assumptions. You're also assuming with your theory that summoning would be as used and create stories if a difficulty mode was introduced. 

And that's fine we can both make assumptions on what would happen. I disagree with your assumption, I think a huge amount of people would opt to change their own personal difficulty and not engage in summoning other players.  I believe that things would change if a mode was introduced and a lot of fans of the series believe that too. 

Of course, but I think I'm going to stick with the line I'm taking here that the let me solo her thing wouldn't have happened if the game had difficulty tweaks is the big assumption that took us off the deep end here.

29 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

I think it is an interesting point you make about Demons Souls. The fear that some people have I think is that these are such ineffable, enigmatic games - From managed to somehow bottle lightning whilst apparently breaking a lot of sacrosanct game design principles - that it is very hard to put your finger on exactly what makes them so special and unique and tinkering with them too much might mean you lose that.

Now again I don't say that because I necessarily agree (my hot take is that From should stop making these games now actually, sequels will only be diminishing returns, and they should try their hand at something new), but I think that is closer to understanding why Souls fans get defensive on difficulty, it isn't solely or predominately because of a "git gud" mentality, it is mainly because they fear you might accidentally break a winning formula.

And this is why I love elden ring a lot! It's a very messy sandbox and shows that the formula is robust. At one point I thought that the big thing that works have broken the souls games was a jump button!

For all my moaning (and the pessimism from accessibility folks) I do genuinely think they might make strides towards more approachable and universal games and I reckon they'll be pioneers in showing how to do that in really interesting and unique games. When sekiro came out we noted that this was From's first time using external playtest and games UX services (maybe foisted on them by Activision) - but I do know they also used a UX agency again for ER. So there's definitely interest from them: I dunno, maybe they just want to sell more copies.

I’m surprised they got external help with the interface on Elden Ring, it seems like the exact same clumsy FromSoft interface as on their previous games. The only major difference is that the interact button is Y/triangle, just to fuck with your muscle memory from the other Souls games. 

11 hours ago, 5R7 said:

Yes but it's a crap looking shield and interferes with Fashion Souls :P 

11 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

But like so many people get stuck on the bosses. Summoning can help, but it can also hinder. Dynamic difficulty scaling on bosses is probably the elegant solution. 

I solo'd all of dark souls - I have been conditioned to never play a game on easy mode somewhere along my life. But with Elden Ring I have taken all the help I can get with the bosses. I love the spectacle of them, and having a few tries and then getting past them is quite fun, but it's not the best thing about the games. Not even close. 

Summoning does have dynamic difficulty scaling - it makes them harder! It increases the damage and health of the boss, I believe, to compensate for the extra help.

All this talk of accessibility - I started Ghost of Tsushima director's cut (or whatever it's called) last night on ps5 and went and had a nosey at the accessibility menu...it covers a lot of great stuff, from what I can tell: it has enhanced combat cue visibility, more visible guiding wind (the in-game mechanic for showing you where to go and what to look at next), large text on subtitles, lock on mode, no timing restraints on minigames, addition of fireflies to visibly track collectibles 

I also found this website, which might be helpful to some: https://caniplaythat.com/2021/08/19/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-accessibility-review-can-i-play-that/

8 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Not the masses. The less able. 

i think they’ve made it easier overall as part of their design (grinding and summoning etc) but have not really made any adjustments or options for people with specific needs 

All things considered, it’s a simple trophy to obtain. Finish game 3 times, kill all bosses, collect some weapons and ashes. Nothing like “collect all boss weapons” or “collect all sorceries”.

On 24/04/2022 at 17:24, K said:

OK then, 16% of people got the trophy for finishing Control on PS4, and 4% got the platinum (which is pretty easy to get). For such hard games, the percentage of people who finish most From games seem quite high. A higher percentage of people have killed General Radahn than have completed Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS4.

I think that's more likely due to the fact that a lot of games outstay their welcome. I got bored of Control before the end, but pushed through, and completely gave up on Red Dead purely out of boredom.

4 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

I think that's more likely due to the fact that a lot of games outstay their welcome. I got bored of Control before the end, but pushed through, and completely gave up on Red Dead purely out of boredom.

I got bored of control after an hour or so. I'm more than capable of finishing it.