IGNORED

Pacman Museum Plus - out soon.

17 minutes ago, deKay said:

It does say hammer right to go faster though.

I mean it very definitely does but with a little pacman RUNNING picture. :D

I guess that all adds to the charm. 

So if you don't want to be a pirate and want to pay Namco for some Pac Man action NAMCO MUSEUM ARCHIVES Vol 1 contains the NES port for Pac Man. And the emulation is by M2. And because they are dedicated there's also a NES version of Pac Man Championship edition that they coded just for this compilation.

3_o.jpg

NAMCO MUSEUM ARCHIVES Vol 2 contains the NES port of Pac Land. It's not great compared to the C64 port with all the sprites being tiny. But at least once you get used to the odd controls you can actually make the jumps.

76804-pac-land-nes-screenshot-about-to-c

I suppose the lag is becuase it's all done in Unity. Which is great for the devs as you only have to do it once and get all the other versions 'for free' but means you have to give up the fine-tuned control to make emulation timings actually work properly. Bit a double edged sword that.

On 30/05/2022 at 22:49, geldra said:

Also no online leaderboards is an absolute fucking shocker. If ever a compilation needed them, it’s this one. Bah. 

Gotta correct myself here. It does actually have online leaderboards for each game (and game modes too). They’re just not obviously located. (They’re under each game on the big list you can pull up (the + menu on the Switch). 

I’m guessing they won’t be cross plat but happy to be wrong. 

if they could add better display options (and make BR and CE look a lot less soft) I’d actually be relatively happy with this package now that I know it does have scoreboards. 

I've just given this a try on Xbox, and the lag is awful. I've been playing the Steam version, which has very slight input lag, but Xbox is miles worse. The Game Pass version on PC seems about the same as the Steam one, but on Xbox it's terrible.

PC version is generally okay, but seems to have issues with vsync - the option appears to work in the museum bit, but I get horrible tearing in some games (especially Pac-Land). The scaling is dreadful, too - none of the three settings available are integer scales, so you get uneven pixel sizes and shimmering as things scroll. Plus, there are no dip switch options, and the defaults aren't always ideal (they've turned off stage select in Pac-Land for example). I have no idea why they don't offer full-screen options and filtering - they'd be trivial to do.

For Pac-Land in particular, the stand-alone Switch version that came out a few weeks ago from Hamster is much better than this.

It's a decent selection of games, though, so if they sort out the technical issues, it'll be a pretty good pack. I'm enjoying playing Pac n Roll again, albeit with the story removed for some reason.

3 hours ago, JamesS said:

I've just given this a try on Xbox, and the lag is awful. I've been playing the Steam version, which has very slight input lag, but Xbox is miles worse. The Game Pass version on PC seems about the same as the Steam one, but on Xbox it's terrible.

Oh, interesting. I only fired it up on xCloud for a quick achievement. I was actually kinda enjoying it until I realized, no, I'm not just rusty and there's some odd lag. I chalked it up to streaming but it sounds like that's on top of inherent lag. Shame.

Pac In Time is one of the most infuriating things I’ve ever played. Made worse by the fact it’s really difficult to die, so opening up the the thing that requires you play it twice isn’t so straightforward.

Pac-Pergutory. 

12 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Pac In Time is one of the most infuriating things I’ve ever played. Made worse by the fact it’s really difficult to die, so opening up the the thing that requires you play it twice isn’t so straightforward.

Pac-Pergutory. 

It's one of the worst games I've ever played. Including it on this collection actually makes the collection worse.

On 15/03/2022 at 01:22, fat flatulent git said:

This looks absolutely excellent.

How's this statement working out for you?

13 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Pac-Pergutory. 

1 minute ago, deKay said:

It's one of the worst games I've ever played. Including it on this collection actually makes the collection worse.

The really frustrating thing is, I'd assumed this was going to be the Pac-Man reskin of Fury of the Furries, which would have at least meant it was an excellent game, albeit with a somewhat less appealing aesthetic to the original version. Instead, I was confronted by some mediocre SNES platformer. Disappointed doesn't begin to cover it.

27 minutes ago, deKay said:

How's this statement working out for you?

Only played the Switch version so far, but it's fine.  I've put about three hours in and had a great time, particularly with the games I'd never played before.  Haven't tried PS4 yet, so if that's unplayable, I'll see what all the fuss is about then.

That said, I have ignored Pac-in-time so far because it looks rubbish.

17 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Pac In Time is poo. I couldn't even figure out how to open the door at the end of the first level. Nothing seemed to work 😐

Same here. I’d have been disappointed to have got that as a freebie on a cover disk in the mid 90s.

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

Pac In Time is poo. I couldn't even figure out how to open the door at the end of the first level. Nothing seemed to work 😐

You have to collect all the dots, then walk up through the door. There’s a countdown of how many are remaining on the left.

Jumping through the rings gives you extra power-ups, a rope, hammer and ability to dive, which you must select individually. I discovered that by accident.

The most infuriating bits are when you’re stuck and have to use the rope to swing through a gap to get out again. This happens frequently and is incredibly hit and miss.

Managed to eek a bit of fun out of it in the end. It really is a throwback to a bygone era I don’t miss at all though.

10 hours ago, Wiper said:

The really frustrating thing is, I'd assumed this was going to be the Pac-Man reskin of Fury of the Furries, which would have at least meant it was an excellent game, albeit with a somewhat less appealing aesthetic to the original version. Instead, I was confronted by some mediocre SNES platformer. Disappointed doesn't begin to cover it.

I wish they’d add that re-skin, along with Baby Pac-Man, Jr Pac-Man, the Ms Pac-Mans and whatever else they’ve left out.

This should be comprehensive.

Can’t say I’ve noticed any lag (Series X), apart from on Super Pac-Man which is pretty unplayable.

1 hour ago, Lyrical Donut said:

image.thumb.png.c298aeef0dea6f7065a3b90e66676657.png

🤔

2 things…

-SOMEONE isn’t affected by input lag…

-SlopRoast is my new favourite gamertag

-The legit looking scores are fairly on point with the Switch ver (though the top Switch score is about 100K above second place). 

Dunno what this really tells us, if anything. 

3 hours ago, geldra said:

2 things…

-SOMEONE isn’t affected by input lag…

-SlopRoast is my new favourite gamertag

-The legit looking scores are fairly on point with the Switch ver (though the top Switch score is about 100K above second place). 

Dunno what this really tells us, if anything. 

Well, the Xbox leaderboards are cross-plat with PC. I've not noticed any input lag issues on my setup (120hz display, 1000hz USB polling on my controller). It's super shonky on the Series S, though.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

It tells us the exploits that were present in the original are present in this version because it suffered exactly the same problem.

oh what exploits?  I’ve never read up on them, got any links? 

13 hours ago, geldra said:

oh what exploits?  I’ve never read up on them, got any links? 

No, sorry. The scores were so astronomical compared to the ones near it on the table it could only be an exploit or hack of some kind.