IGNORED

Retro Gamer 231

I'm a big Amiga fan and the statement about the games competing with consoles is correct in my view - most of them were pretty poor at release let alone 30 years later.

A chunk of the stuff on the A500 mini fits into this category unfortunately - it's a shame they couldn't get stuff like The Settlers or Sensible Soccer or Cannon Fodder on there. Pinball Dreams, Stunt Car Racer, Speedball 2, Qwak and The Chaos Engine are still fun though.

You'd really need games that were Amiga exclusive and I'm not even sure what that leaves you with?

If this is just an Amiga shaped box to stick pirated games on then is it really any better than the other emulator options? 

1 hour ago, ianinthefuture said:

Yeah, the Amiga games that have stood the test of time aren't the ones that were trying to compete with consoles of the day. They're the ones that were more PC-like, or just very Amiga.

Or Championship Manager.

I feel sorry for the Amiga in retrospect. Didn’t seem any time at all between it supplanting the ST to become a major system and it being flooded with imitation  console games. And when that subsided, the system suffered from a load of Wolfenstein and Doom clones which even more emphasised the weaknesses of its ageing hardware. :( 

17 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I feel sorry for the Amiga in retrospect. Didn’t seem any time at all between it supplanting the ST to become a major system and it being flooded with imitation  console games. And when that subsided, the system suffered from a load of Wolfenstein and Doom clones which even more emphasised the weaknesses of its ageing hardware. :( 

Main things I loved about my Amiga (and I was a bit late to the party - got my A500 in 1994) was pissing about in AmigaDOS and AMOS. Yes, I played games on it, but mainly I did that on my Mega Drive.

It was great for the sorts of games the Mega Drive didn't have though - point and click adventures, strategy games like Sabre Team and Civ II, and loads of quirky PD games. When I got my A1200 (1996!) I started making webpages, using it for college and uni work, and spending more time just tweaking the OS than actually playing games. Although I did play a lot of Speccy games on it via ZXAM :)

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

You'd really need games that were Amiga exclusive and I'm not even sure what that leaves you with?

If this is just an Amiga shaped box to stick pirated games on then is it really any better than the other emulator options? 

I don't think it's aimed at people who have their own Retroarch / Retropie / Win-UAE setups. I would imagine the target audience would be people who remember the Amiga fondly, but who don't have a clue how to set up an emulator to run the games.

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

Main things I loved about my Amiga (and I was a bit late to the party - got my A500 in 1994) was pissing about in AmigaDOS and AMOS. Yes, I played games on it, but mainly I did that on my Mega Drive.

It was great for the sorts of games the Mega Drive didn't have though - point and click adventures, strategy games like Sabre Team and Civ II, and loads of quirky PD games. When I got my A1200 (1996!) I started making webpages, using it for college and uni work, and spending more time just tweaking the OS than actually playing games. Although I did play a lot of Speccy games on it via ZXAM :)

I know what you mean. Deluxe Paint, Pen Pal and other software got plenty of use on the family 500. The 1200 I got later was the first machine I used the Internet on in the domestic setting. Installed a hard disk drive on the 1200 with the help of my dad, following a guide in Amiga Shopper. Also played a Spectrum emulator at some point (on the cover of Amiga Computing, I think – ran too slowly to be much use). My first ‘proper’ computer experience was all on Amigas.

Never found emulating the Amiga in subsequently years much fun, though. Guess I need the full experience with a CRT, box of (working) floppy disk and so on, but that’s not something many of us can justify acquiring, unfortunately.

It's only just dropped through the door, but this seems like a good issue - almost every article is a game or platform I have some personal experience of. I was particularly pleased to see a short piece on Machine Hunter on the PS1, which I absolutely loved and seems to have been cast into a memory hole shortly after release.

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Those other emulator options are a pain in the arse though.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I know what you mean. Deluxe Paint, Pen Pal and other software got plenty of use on the family 500. The 1200 I got later was the first machine I used the Internet on in the domestic setting. Installed a hard disk drive on the 1200 with the help of my dad, following a guide in Amiga Shopper. Also played a Spectrum emulator at some point (on the cover of Amiga Computing, I think – ran too slowly to be much use). My first ‘proper’ computer experience was all on Amigas.

Never found emulating the Amiga in subsequently years much fun, though. Guess I need the full experience with a CRT, box of (working) floppy disk and so on, but that’s not something many of us can justify acquiring, unfortunately.

I got given the first 30 or so issues of Amiga Shopper by a teacher who was clearing out a cupboard, about 3 years before I even owned an Amiga. Really, really made me want one though. And then I got one for a tenner from another teacher :)

1 hour ago, K said:

I don't think it's aimed at people who have their own Retroarch / Retropie / Win-UAE setups. I would imagine the target audience would be people who remember the Amiga fondly, but who don't have a clue how to set up an emulator to run the games.

Yeah, it's made for people like my brother - loves the Amiga, doesn't give a shit about actually having to try to get it working.

2 hours ago, K said:

These people are likely to be pretty unimpressed with the included games.

7 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

Unusual to not see @strider in this thread but he is setting up a new Mac so maybe he'll contribute later.

It's still booting 😀

We've put an official statement about the book on our Twitter feed. The editorial team make the mag but we're obviously aware that many think we're connected to all aspects of the mag. We'll do what we always do, make the relevant department aware of how our subs feel about it.

8 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Swings and roundabouts as we all like different things. I'm not the biggest Amiga fan but I personally think it's a solid list of big hitters. The biggest omissions to me were Monkey Island, Lemmings and Superfrog. We all like different things though so a system like this is never going to please everyone.

9 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I dunno, it looks like a pretty good selection to me. Chaos Engine, Kick Off 2, Speedball 2, Worms, Super Cars 2, Stunt Car Racer, Pinball Dreams, Another World, etc etc. They all seem like games that'll stimulate the nostalgia glands for people who owned Amigas back in the day. They all seem like games that (partly) embody the look and feel of the Amiga scene.

Not all of them hold up as great games in 2022, but with this kind of thing, I suspect the quality of the game is often less important than the experience of re-playing it.

Yeah I know these sort of things are basically nostalgia machines. It's a shame swos isn't on here as kick off 2 is basically garbage. Zool is also terrible. I guess a lot of licensed stuff was too expensive or impossible to get. 

I did enjoy reading the article about it though!

1 hour ago, strider said:

It's still booting 😀

We've put an official statement about the book on our Twitter feed. The editorial team make the mag but we're obviously aware that many think we're connected to all aspects of the mag. We'll do what we always do, make the relevant department aware of how our subs feel about it.

sorry. 

On 21/03/2022 at 14:23, deKay said:

Although I did play a lot of Speccy games on it via ZXAM :)

ZXAM was great, though I've been cursing its custom .Mirage file format lately.

Back in 1994, I discovered Peter McGavin's ZX Spectrum emulator (on an Amiga Computing coverdisk) and used a sound sampler to load my Spectrum work (word processing, art, and a homebrew game into the emulator. Each file was saved in .sna format to a floppy disk.

Leap forward to 1996, I discovered ZXAM and decided to convert the .sna files to .mirage to save space (mirage files were around 15k smaller!) and delete the original .sna files.

Fast forward again.. this time to 2021, I'm using a Greaseweasel to image my Amiga disks and stumble across a disk that contains my original collection of Spectrum files. However, the .mirage format doesn't seem to be supported by current Spectrum emulators on Windows 10 (or perhaps the files themselves are partially corrupted). 

So, I now need to setup an Amiga emulator, to run a Spectrum emulator, in order to access a backup of content that was originally saved on tape.

On 18/03/2022 at 23:18, SeanR said:

Did the subscribers get the extra mag?

2C684332-8CEA-4A6A-9914-3FBD4C0B0C71.thumb.jpeg.32d8dcb0bd9586ca8309210c81947681.jpeg

i should probably subscribe…

No extra mag, here 🙁 I don't think this is the first time, either. I've had to claim a new copy 3 issues in the last 6 due to the mag being posted in a thin paper envelope that got wet, and lead to me getting a soggy mag with pages wrinkled and stuck together, too. Sad thing is the replacements aren't ever the subscriber editions. Not been happy with my subscription for quite some time now.......

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

You’ll never get it. There will be ‘stock issues’ and a nebulous promise that something will come eventually. 

they should have offered a vega+…

3 hours ago, deKay said:

Disappointed the PGR article made no mention of the DC Comics link in naming both MSR and PGR.

Now I’ve just realised where the heck the name for PGR came from. Only took 20 years…

3 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Now I’ve just realised where the heck the name for PGR came from. Only took 20 years…

interestingly:

The word Gotham, used to denote a “goat town”, and used disparaging, predates Batman by about 1000 years.

The word metropolis is from the ancient Greek.

but yeah, they’re from the comics. I thought that was obvious?

Also: Blur was originally code named Coast City, but they had to change it when Mongol and Hank Henshaw turned it into a massive crater.