IGNORED

Neo Geo AES plus mods | A Treble Project

Thanks for all the kind words, folks! 

41 minutes ago, bplus said:

AES is the last console I really want to own, prices keep sky rocketing, doubt I'll ever buy one. Mod looks great btw.

AES joysticks: how good are they?

I got the machine itself for a reasonable price, and it's definitely attainable. As a f'instance, aiming for a Wondermega or a Resident Evil edition Dreamcast would set you back several orders of magnitude more money. 

But once you own one of those, the games are affordable (ish!) whereas the cost of AES games is astronomical. 

The Neo SD is very expensive, but it's the last cart you ever 'have' to buy so is undoubtedly the best investment games-wise. 

As for the sticks, they hold up pretty well. At the time they were light years ahead of anything in the home, and the stick's microswitches still rank as good. 

The buttons are more of a letdown. They're not awful but they do have a long travel and therefore aren't the most responsive in the world. Plus they are aging these days, of course. 

Overall I'd give a lived-in unit a 6/10, if a 10 is the best on the market today :)

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Thanks for all the kind words, folks! 

I got the machine itself for a reasonable price, and it's definitely attainable. As a f'instance, aiming for a Wondermega or a Resident Evil edition Dreamcast would set you back several orders of magnitude more money. 

But once you own one of those, the games are affordable (ish!) whereas the cost of AES games is astronomical. 

The Neo SD is very expensive, but it's the last cart you ever 'have' to buy so is undoubtedly the best investment games-wise. 

As for the sticks, they hold up pretty well. At the time they were light years ahead of anything in the home, and the stick's microswitches still rank as good. 

The buttons are more of a letdown. They're not awful but they do have a long travel and therefore aren't the most responsive in the world. Plus they are aging these days, of course. 

Overall I'd give a lived-in unit a 6/10, if a 10 is the best on the market today :)

Yeah a could have bought an aes a few years ago for 250 quid but thought that was too much, now they are pretty much double that! I can't justify it, I've got a pc under my telly with retro arch, full set of neo Geo ROMs and decent pads to play them on. It should be enough but somehow it isn't!! :)

24 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Did you pull that chip with a manual solder sucker and braid? If so kudos!!

I sure did. I've since invested in a hot air rework station! As you might expect... 

I used an electric solder sucker for a while, but I honestly never found it that useful. I'd have to buy an expensive one if I wanted better results, I think. I'll add it to the list :D

But yeah, bloody hard. Heat, flux, braid, sucker, reflow, add solder, braid, heat, braid, flux, flip board, sucker on top side, repeat for hours! :)

15 hours ago, bplus said:

AES is the last console I really want to own, prices keep sky rocketing, doubt I'll ever buy one. Mod looks great btw.

AES joysticks: how good are they?

They're not that hard to come across in Japan.  My local has several at about 30,000 yen each.  There are a few common games for about 4,000 yen, and a handful locked in the cabinet for about 100,000 yen each.

I bought one a few years ago out of curiosity - now all the games I have for it are on the Switch!

I've lusted after an AES for years but could never justify the cost of the games. My wife would literally kill me.

However, I went down the route of buying a Neo Geo CD during the lockdowns cheap (£130) then found out about the neo SD loader (£75ish) SDLoader) I left the optical drive in mine and fitted the mod alongside it and modded the RGB out so it will work with an OSSC (sync is missing on it stock). I've loaded up a 64GB SD card with it's full library and even bought xenocrisis for it around Christmas). It doesn't have the full neo geo library but there's enough of the big titles to satisfy my itch. Even built my own arcade stick to use with it)

Sadly, Furttek isn't making it anymore but he's opensourced it so others may make it. It's transformed the machine and he implemented loads of features (fast loading, custom bios features)

8 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Because the AES is fucking badass. 

It is indeed. But it’s also identical hardware. Different slot, nice case.

I only have 6 games for mine. Because of cost.

(I’ll have to go out to the garage to check which ones, but definitely Magicial Lord)

Whereas I have 162 games on the mvs (a 161-cart and puzzle bobble), and I still get to use the AES sticks. If I wanted to. I use pads because of the size.

21 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Shout out to the time I sold my mint in box AES with matching serials for £200 in 2012 🤦‍♂️

Think we've all done a foolish retro purge at some point !

12082012559.thumb.jpg.04e5fd95eb9c094d24f8e053977c14de.jpg

F

By the way, I'm expecting another one to be delivered soon, which means I'll have another Neo Geo AES like this one for sale soon. Might be worth registering your interest, if you're keen.

This is the sales listing I'm putting together. I thought I'd list a 'base' price then additional extras if you want to invest in them :)

Spoiler

I’m receiving a Neo Geo AES soon, and as it represents a high investment of time (for me) and money (for me and you) if I modify it to your spec, I thought I’d list it as a pre-order with options.

The core package is:

• Neo Geo AES console
  • Joystick
  • Composite Lead
  • Official, original JPN Power Supply
  • Fatal Fury 2 (boxed, no instructions, excellent condition with no cracks)
  • Memory Card
  • Unibios v4.0 fitted

In addition to cleaning and other cosmetic work, I’ll be replacing the BIOS with a socketed UNIBIOS (and including the original BIOS chip for completeness).

You can see a breakdown of the work I commit here and everything in the green and yellow sections will be completed, plus any wiring or soldering improvements if needed.

£400 delivered

Here are the additional options you can go for:

RGB Bypass mod

This involves rewiring the RGB output and removing/replacing some resistors and capacitors, creating the best possible video output from the stock machine. Note: this will disable composite out, so you will need a display or adapter capable of receiving RGB signals, plus a fully-wired RGB lead (see below)

add £30

LED mod

The Neo Geo has no power-on light visible. Have an LED of your colour choice (inc. a colour-changing RGB LED) mounted in the reset button, similar to one like this:

https://videogameperfection.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/neo-geo-power-light-mod-crop-1.jpg

add £15

Retro Gaming Cables’ RGB lead

The greatest you can buy - fully shielded and incredibly sturdy, for the best RGB picture. Not cheap, but if you want the best…

Supplied at cost, post-VAT & delivery

add £30

Second joystick (original)

Will have blemishes as expected due to age, but all mechanical actions in green and yellow here will be undertaken to make it as smooth functioning as you’d expect.

add £45

UK Power Supply

I only supply the Berls PSU or suitable equivalent, as it’s trustworthy and packed full of good components. Supplied at cost to you.

add £19

Button replacement

I can remove the original button set and replace them with genuine Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons, in whichever colours you like. This involves removing the buttons and PCB (which will be supplied along with your console) and soldering-in the replacements.

I went for a typical ‘big red’ colour scheme for mine, by example, but any available colour for snap-in 24mm replacements is cool. Can also replace the ball top handle at cost, if required. Here’s an image of my own one:

JS7.thumb.jpg.3442afc5e48cb10c0ba89ade3ff3fe19.jpg

add (from) £25 parts and labour

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Shout out to the time I sold my mint in box AES with matching serials for £200 in 2012 🤦‍♂️

Think we've all done a foolish retro purge at some point !

12082012559.thumb.jpg.04e5fd95eb9c094d24f8e053977c14de.jpg

If it’s any consolation, someone sold me theirs (via eBay) around the same time for £235 with 6 games. The inserts on mine aren’t quite as nice though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2022 at 11:13, Treble said:

By the way, I'm expecting another one to be delivered soon, which means I'll have another Neo Geo AES like this one for sale soon. Might be worth registering your interest, if you're keen.

This is the sales listing I'm putting together. I thought I'd list a 'base' price then additional extras if you want to invest in them :)

I would also like to register my interest.