IGNORED

Neo Geo AES plus mods | A Treble Project

On 02/04/2022 at 20:45, Ninja Doctor said:

Don’t bother with those cheap guns (especially 7mm stick guns).

Get a proper 11mm stick gun. 

doh!

On 02/04/2022 at 18:03, Colonel Panic said:

Hot glue should never touch a PCB. Fine for sticking things to cases. 

that’s totally what I meant… :eyebrows:

Hah, to be fair they are more than decent. Just boggo reprogrammable EPROMs. Although I have always wanted a programmer, so finally caved and bought one. Possibly the dullest, most boring device imaginable, so I covered it in cool stickers. 

DSC_0922_1649439283573.thumb.jpg.6a0cd2522222f559cc4b04eb49fc7881.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still has the imprint of the bubble wrap :D

Sadly, my pile of SNK's finest is diminishing :(

Nice room, by the way. In other news, just yesterday I fixed the last one of the current batch. I'll dig out some pics over the weekend, and explain what I had to do to get it back to the land of the living. 

@Treble Great post.

I was under the impression from various old GadgetUK repair videos that there were a couple of custom SNK chips that were pretty prone to 'chiprot' these days, which made having known good donor boards necessary for repair efforts.

Furrtek over in France was de-capping and preserving the chips, and producing modern repros for sale to modders / repair techs (including Gadget), long before his research made the basis for the MiSTer FPGA Neo Geo core.

I'm sure none of this news to you, but I felt compelled to mention it.

Interesting! One of the strange things about retro is the perceptions people have. Some don't feel they properly 'own' a console unless it's complete. If they don't have the box, inserts and manuals they feel disconnected from its history. 

Some (like me) like the designs as physical objects, and don't really care too much about completeness. I've leant more into original consoles over the last 18 months as the CRT I have just presents their video output with such clarity that it is it's own experience that's joyful. 

Then there are people who want the physical experience mimicked as closely as possible but don't care if new tech replaces part or all of the experience. I love this approach too. 

In fact, I love all these perspectives (as long as the user is happy and it's not a compulsion) but every 'type' of retro gamer needs to understand that all things die

Preservation is important, but everything is gonna fail. Working stuff will eventually be a ship of Theseus/Trigger's Broom sitch, so it doesn't pay to be a self-appointed gate keeper of what is the 'right' and 'wrong' thing to do. 

I don't think people in this forum are like that, thankfully :) I worry about people who are, though, as nostalgia is a pernicious thing. Thinking you can be happy by living in a perfectly-recreated past using props from your childhood is very bad for your mental health. 

I love the FPGA solutions, are there are billions of projects that are making original, bespoke chips obsolete, meaning you can access and enjoy playing on kit for many years to come. Always keep in mind, though, that entropy exists, everything is fleeting, and being happy in the moment - and not wistfully looking back at some halcyon time that never actually existed - is the key to being fulfilled and happy :)

I've got 17 AES games and about 30 Neo Geo CD games.

In the end I gave up trying to find individual cartridges for a reasonable price so bought a NeoSD from ebay and fully loaded an SD card.

Now I can play the entire library on the original machine and with the Retrotink 5x it is glorious 🙂

The Neo Geo CD games have all been installed on the PolyMega so instant load times.

I've got it covered 🙂

On 05/05/2022 at 13:49, AceGrace said:

The Neo Geo CD games have all been installed on the PolyMega so instant load times.

the NGCD ODE solutions look to be £200.

With compatibility with other cd-based consoles on top, that looks like a lot of convenience for £370.

tempting.

delivery times are another matter though…

3 hours ago, SeanR said:

With compatibility with other cd-based consoles on top, that looks like a lot of convenience for £370.

tempting.

I got in early when Furttek announced it so paid around £130 I think for mine and installed it myself.

It absolutely transform's the console and I can play almost everything I want. Anything else remaining I can play via my switch or emulator.  I still want to find a solution to avoid using a Stepdown for the 110v PSU and I've c sync modded the video out so it plays nice with my OSSC over RGB. Picked up xenocrisis over Christmas on CD and they also gave me the iso to use with the NeoSD via a download from their site.

9 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Where are you finding all these NeoSD carts on ebay? I can't see a single damn one!

I just got lucky. They do appear from time to time.

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

tempting.

I ordered my Polymega from the european distributor in December 2020 and it got sent in February 2022.

I think I got lucky as people are still waiting for theirs ordered in April 2020 but they ordered direct from Polymega so the distributor must have got some stock.

I am still waiting for the extra modules (all 4) and an extra controller for each of them as well ETA currently unknown.

The machine itself is glorious. I've got 39 Neo Geo CD games on their and 75 Saturn games so far. The convenience of having them all in one place in one machine under the TV is what I wanted.

I know I could have built a mini PC and installed emulators etc... but that would have taken ages and I'm a lazy bastard 🙂

The UI as well is pretty slick and they have just added a music player that lets you play music from installed games.

Overall I am really happy with it so far but they really need to get better at communicating with their customers

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Treble said:

So yesterday I sent @Tomdominer's machine out to him. The usual mods, but Tom Dom wanted a boxed unit so I got to manhandle a complete package (steady) at last. And it's a beauty!

DSC_1006_1652737633627.jpg

DSC_1008_1652737673212.jpg

DSC_1010_1652737714094.jpg

Such good nick, can't thank you enough dude!