IGNORED

Is Elden Ring really twice as good as Mario Kart Double Dash?

Capwn

I had many many great hours with double dasher (as my 6y old son called it at the time), it was his first mario kart and he loved it.

I don’t care personally for those dark souls type games

So I’d reverse the scores and give double dasher 10 and elden ring 5.

As I feel that what a person takes away from a game is completely subjective, I generally find a lot of reviews completely pointless (to me) and I'd rather play something myself and make up my own mind. I'm into talking about what I think, but I really do not care what any one else thinks. :D

Also applying an arbitory score out of 10 is so dumb and so specific I think it's quite redundant, pointless and just leads to a focus on comparison that something got one less that something else.  

I liked what Eurogamer where trying to do with their - Avoid / ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ / Recommended / Essential - scores as it kinda bunches it in with the reviewers general feelings on the game, and leaves room for those nuances... although most things they reviewed just falls into the "lol dunno" catagory. 

I read an excerpt from Rodger Ebert, explaining the reasoning for his 4 star reviews, and I really like it. basically it's to stop using the ever reliable middle ground if you mark things out of 5. Everthing is a 3/5 or 3 stars as the review can rely on the old faithful "lol dunno" and you basically have to shit or get off the pot and actually pick a side and an opinion. Do you like it or not?

This is a bit like the Crap/Not Crap game I used to play with pals in the pub. Be reductive and pick a side, is something Crap or Not Crap. Anything, tv shows, music, films. 

So I like the idea of a review score system combinding the two. a 4 star review scale with no middle ground. -

Really Crap | Crap ||| Not Crap | Really Not Crap

Double Dash - Not Crap (***)

Elden Ring - Really Not Crap (****)

I realise that this is all some absolute dumbness ramblings, but lol hey! 

That means Elden Ring is only ten times better than Kabuki Warriors? From must be gutted.

Double Dash is shit. SHIIIIIIIIIT. Seriously, the usual 'I enjoyed it with my child, it's good with the lads and a few spliffs' excuses are bollocks. Playing Peekaboo with your child might be the most fondly remembered memory of your life but do you really think the mechanics of Peekaboo hold up to serious scrutiny?, do you really think peekaboo would get more than an average score in Edge? Come the fuck on.

54 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Do game reviews age?

Yes. A game review can become outdated if the game is surpassed by its successors.

A reviewer might have given vanilla Street Fighter IV 9/10 when it first came out because of how exciting it was to finally see SF return with a great new 3D game. But then they might have given Super and Ultra SFIV lower scores because they were no longer impressed by new characters, stages and costumes, and were getting bored of waiting for SFV.

But I don't think there are many people who'd choose to play vanilla SFIV instead of its later revisions.

Comparing different revisions of numbered SF games is an easy example to give for an improvement over time, because vanilla arcade -> vanilla home -> Super -> AE -> Ultra is basically like comparing version 1.0 to patch 1.4 - and in most cases, software patches are improvements that make the older versions obsolete. (The exceptions being things like those Counter-Strike players circa 2003 who wanted to stick to CS 1.5 and hated Steam for making them switch to 1.6.)

(More modern examples may be available.)

31 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

As I feel that what a person takes away from a game is completely subjective, I generally find a lot of reviews completely pointless (to me) and I'd rather play something myself and make up my own mind. I'm into talking about what I think, but I really do not care what any one else thinks. :D

Also applying an arbitory score out of 10 is so dumb and so specific I think it's quite redundant, pointless and just leads to a focus on comparison that something got one less that something else.  

I liked what Eurogamer where trying to do with their - Avoid / ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ / Recommended / Essential - scores as it kinda bunches it in with the reviewers general feelings on the game, and leaves room for those nuances... although most things they reviewed just falls into the "lol dunno" catagory. 

I read an excerpt from Rodger Ebert, explaining the reasoning for his 4 star reviews, and I really like it. basically it's to stop using the ever reliable middle ground if you mark things out of 5. Everthing is a 3/5 or 3 stars as the review can rely on the old faithful "lol dunno" and you basically have to shit or get off the pot and actually pick a side and an opinion. Do you like it or not?

This is a bit like the Crap/Not Crap game I used to play with pals in the pub. Be reductive and pick a side, is something Crap or Not Crap. Anything, tv shows, music, films. 

So I like the idea of a review score system combinding the two. a 4 star review scale with no middle ground. -

Really Crap | Crap ||| Not Crap | Really Not Crap

Double Dash - Not Crap (***)

Elden Ring - Really Not Crap (****)

I realise that this is all some absolute dumbness ramblings, but lol hey! 

2/4 has always seemed equivalent to a 3/5 or 5/10 to me.

1 star - crap

2 star - ok

3 star - good

4 star - excellent

I'm not sure it really eliminates the middle ground. But I agree that 4 stars is probably all you need. You get to distinguish between good and excellent and you get to say if something is ok or bad.

I don't think you really need to distinguish between shit, really shit, a little bit shit etc. The 1-4 range on a ten point scale is pointless really. Who cares if something is a 1, 2 or 3, it's crap regardless. Nobody needs to know exactly what shade of crap.

What @Nick R said - when you review something on release, you don't have any context from the future. You only thought Ocarina was untouchable because there was no BotW*, and every new Best Thing Ever in a given genre shifts the boundaries of what it means to score 10/10. Then again, it's still nice to recognise the games that were milestones for their era or have some kind of "timeless" quality.

*I'm not intending to create an "Ocarina vs BotW" discussion here, just pulling some names out for the sake of example

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

If Tetris came out today, would it get perfect scores?

That's such a mind melting chicken and egg question, I can't quite wrap my head around it.

I still think it’s better than any other falling block puzzler. 
Dr. Mario, Puzzle Fighter, Puyo Puyo... None of them are as satisfying and as pure as Tetris. I think it really is that good.