Cursed To Golf - Side-on Golf Em Up in Golfing Purgatory August 18th

moosegrinder

Really liked the look of this as soon as I clapped eyes on it. There seems to be a lot of upcoming Switch games at the moment so I'm not sure when I can fit it in. :o Need reviews to help me prioritise, haha.

I can't make my mind up on this - I'm somebody who loves a bit of 2d side on golf action but despises rogue repeat back to the start you go things.

Not sure if my love or hatred will win out playing it.

31 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I can't make my mind up on this - I'm somebody who loves a bit of 2d side on golf action but despises rogue repeat back to the start you go things.

Not sure if my love or hatred will win out playing it.

Oh is that so? Hadn't picked up on the rogue aspect--thought it was just a series of worlds and levels to puzzle through. 

I'm about to record the podcast, but as a heads up. I love it. It leans more into the rogue than the golf,. but it works well, the golfing mechanics work and compliment everything. It is easy to completely mess up, but you do learn from mistakes.  

I decided to take a punt on it

The power then arc setting does seem confusing, not sure it's revealed to me why they went that way yet but with so much going on for a shot with cards then spin there is a lot initially to get your head round.

Only played a couple of holes but quite like it once I've turned down the insane level of pad rumble on the switch and the scottish bloke stopped blathering (I've really got no time for blather in games now).

I quite like this, with a couple of reservations.

The rogue stuff isn't annoying me like in other games in the past, I think the nature of golf where you start a round quite often doesn't make it as jarring. It's a solid game of side on golf with lots of bells and whistles (think super stickman golf on the phone with some tweaks).

I think the controls system has some off choices, the most problematic being the limited range of view you get when aiming your shot, you set power first (but can cancel it out before committing) but despite being able to free view before playing a shot you are frequently left blind as to exactly where the ball will go. It seems like a deliberate choice but feels a bit frustrating when you are aiming for a narrow gap or to hit one of the vital statues.

Overall it's pretty inventive and the genre mashup sits quite well.

one persons frustratingly hard is another persons piece of piss.

couple of us failed the first intro level and I've not got beyond 2 holes yet so games are lasting about 15m or so. That said as you get better your round will last a lot longer and the holes get more complicated.

it's quite a puzzley game coupled with executing the solution even if you know the optimal route thru a hole. 

many of the reviews mention it's tough but you know somebody will come in here Kim Jong style claiming they finished it on their second go.

I’m a total sucker for anything golf related (in games, obvs, the sport itself is cat shit) so this is a definite for me. In fact, I think I am going to go and buy it right now :)

I had a few crashes on the Switch version of this last night, with a generic 'an error occurred' and being put back to the switch menu.

It probably worked in my favour though as I think I might've failed the hole otherwise.

Best I've managed is 6 holes, which had me in 15th spot on the leaderboard.

Oh man I love this already. Managed to beat the practice course and the first two holes on my first go, but it ramps up quickly. I like the mechanism of storing cards for future runs, sacrificial runs to build up a good deck may be possible I guess.

Well that’s the flight home next week sorted then. 

This is great. Managed to get the the 5th hole on my first try which I was pretty pleased with. The boss match was a bit too tough for me though. Like the way you can save cards for future runs, nice risk/reward mechanic.

I really like this but know it’s going to be Hades or Slay The Spire all over again for me.

People will post in here about escaping on their 10th go etc and I’ll have a 20h plus save file and won’t get past hole 5.

But I do really like it, as I did STS, less so Hades.

yeah I just made it to the first boss encounter on hole 5, didn't last long. 

as an idea that run took me about 35m.

I'm not really using the cards much yet, just concentrating on getting a feel for playing shots and the spin and letting the cards accumulate. Spin really can turn an average shot into a great one if you eek out falling down a gap you need to and further on into the hole.