IGNORED

Racing Games - All time favourites

MattyP

11 hours ago, ilpostino said:

Sega Rally Championship - arguably the perfect arcade racer, with an equally enjoyable home port on the Saturn.

EDIT: Have to put some music in here:

That bit @3:45 as i'm doing my 100th lap on desert time trial always gets the blood flowing. Played loud the game is still pure hype nearly 30 years in

3 hours ago, deKay said:

E-Type

That said, I'd not consider it, nor a lot of these games that gave been mentioned ,as "racing", as they don't involve a race.

I bloody loved this! Our school lab would do games nights with this, Zarch and... Manchester United Europe. :unsure:  I bloody loved them all, it was the future and super exciting. I am getting massive flashbacks right now. 

17 minutes ago, mexos said:

I bloody loved this! Our school lab would do games nights with this, Zarch and... Manchester United Europe. :unsure:  I bloody loved them all, it was the future and super exciting. I am getting massive flashbacks right now. 

Manchester United Europe!!!!  Man that was brilliant.

I've always loved racing games, they're my most played genre by quite a way. 

When I was a kid and the only real options for gaming was arcades, I'd head straight to Pole Position and Super Sprint. Once we got home computers, it was Stunt Car Racer, Pit Stop and Revs and later the Grand Prix games. 

Then Gran Turismo came along and that was a complete game changer. Literally. I can remember when it came into QA and it pretty much brought the department to a stop as we marvelled at the ultra realistic graphics (they're not) and the amazing physics (they're not). Have I ever mentioned I've got my name in the credits? Can't imagine I have. 

GT2 was more of the same, only with an actual game added. Loved it to bits and put many, many hours into it. I've recently played through it again on my Series S and it's still a great game. 

GT3 was, again, a quantum leap in gaming for me and I've put in a stupid number of hours with it. I used to literally spend entire weekends playing it, only pausing to eat and sleep. I've played it as recently as last month and it's still a brilliant game, despite the obvious flaws with AI, interface and so on. 

GT4 was where it started to slide for me. The self indulgence started to creep in and it started becoming less of a game, really. It's not a racing game, it's a driving simulator. 

5 & 6 were then worse, imo. They just weren't a lot of fun to play. To the point where I went from buying a PS3 purely for GT5 to barely touching GT6. Gave them both a go recently and there's just not a lot of game there. 

And then I got an Xbox (the 360 was out before I got an OG Xbox) and discovered Forza Motorsport. I'd dismissed it previously as a "GT clone" but playing FM2 made me realise it was actually a better game than GT4. It just had that certain something that made it more fun to play. It was just a bit more game-y and less sterile. 

By the time I got myself a 360, FM4 was out and I waa so impressed with it that I immediately bought a wheel to play it with. This was the racing game I wanted. It had the cars, the tracks, the physics, the AI, the feel, the sound, the competition structure and, most importantly, that intangible feel to it. Fantastic game. 

I also the stumbled on the Horizon series. I've never really done open world games, they never worked for me. But this was open world done right. While I've played all the Motorsport games, and am currently replaying the Xbone ones from 5 onwards, it's the Horizon series that made me buy the Xbox One in the first place. 

I will admit to having fallen off both series a bit - FM7 gives me a bit of motion sickness and is a bit po faced and I'm finding FH5 isn't really doing anything to drag me in - but they're both amazing, amazing game series. 

TLDR:

Gran Turismo 2 & 3

Forza Motorsport 2-6

Forza Horizon 1-4

Some earlier racing games I spent a lot of time with were:

BMX Simulator:

37967-bmx-simulator-zx-spectrum-front-cover.thumb.jpg.5fc127f8289bafac0937929bc9502cfa.jpg

Everyone seemed to have a copy of this and it was a really fun and pretty well made racer on the home micros. Definitely worth £1.99 of anyone's money.

The C64 port of Buggy Boy was great fun and again great value:

buggy_boy_(encore)_(tape).thumb.jpg.b9c90acb293ff9d3382777ab8e1dc305.jpg

RC Pro Am was, I think, the first isometric racer I'd played and the first with weapons (other than arcade games like Spy Hunter and Road Blasters which aren't really racing games). I still have my original copy and still go back to it from time to time:

432138427_proam.thumb.jpg.d17b3b98d8eacf06b14a4a4eadbf1321.jpg

Then there are the fantastic Mirco Machines games (which I always associate primarily with the Megadrive). Turbo Tournament 96 is probably one of the best value games released on the system. A great game all round but with the added value of the J-Cart and the construction kit.micro-machines-turbo-tournament-96-genesis-front-cover.thumb.jpg.fbe7af75f9a10a596b0dff90f1f20bcc.jpg

4 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

And then I got an Xbox (the 360 was out before I got an OG Xbox) and discovered Forza Motorsport. I'd dismissed it previously as a "GT clone" but playing FM2 made me realise it was actually a better game than GT4. It just had that certain something that made it more fun to play. It was just a bit more game-y and less sterile. 

The first Forza game really felt to me like a clone of GT3 (in its progression structure and upgrade system), except for the addition of custom decals and the Nurburgring.

13 hours ago, kiroquai said:

There will only ever be one racing game sat on the throne in my personal hall of fame :)

52F1D98D-0106-48A0-AB92-2813CA38A303.thumb.jpeg.d838b825446288063a734f4a74253d9f.jpeg

This was my first thought, playing this when I worked at PC World with a monster wheel thing that had the monitor sit on its base was brilliant and started the love of racing games and wheels - from the Microsoft sidewinder wheel to an impending purchase!

I have to mention Grand Prix legends also, only game that ever ran Geoff close back in the day and one of only 2 PC games I still (physically) own :wub:

Honourable mentions for the GT series, multi hour racing split with a pal chasing lap times or making tyres last the longest was amazing and the only ‘reason’ I have a PS5 really is to play GT.

Riiiiiiiiidge racer, my word the arcade game I spent more time on that my A Levels and then you could play it in your home, arcade perfect…. What a series and a shame its dead - only reason I’m tempted by the new PS+ tier is to have Ridge on hand to play!

I think I gushed about Pure a while ago but it was a great arcade racer. Basically SSX on quad bikes around dirt tracks, it had lovely slidey handling, a great blend of racing and tricking and boosting, some bloody huge jumps and a bunch of fun multiplayer options. It needs a current-gen reboot or something.

7 minutes ago, Nick R said:

The first Forza game really felt to me like a clone of GT3 (in its progression structure and upgrade system), except for the addition of custom decals and the Nurburgring.

I think I might have the first two mixed up in my head. I played one of them a lot, but I can't remember which one. If the original was very GT3 like, it might have been that one. I seem to remember it being very "run these races to win this car. Take that car to these races to win this next car. Take that car to..." which I've always liked in a racing game. 

14 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Some earlier racing games I spent a lot of time with were:

BMX Simulator:

37967-bmx-simulator-zx-spectrum-front-cover.thumb.jpg.5fc127f8289bafac0937929bc9502cfa.jpg

Everyone seemed to have a copy of this and it was a really fun and pretty well made racer on the home micros. Definitely worth £1.99 of anyone's money.

Oh wow, this was the first video game I ever played.  It came free with my Commodore 16+4 that I got when I was 5 years old.  So many memories!!

8 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I think I gushed about Pure a while ago but it was a great arcade racer. Basically SSX on quad bikes around dirt tracks, it had lovely slidey handling, a great blend of racing and tricking and boosting, some bloody huge jumps and a bunch of fun multiplayer options. It needs a current-gen reboot or something.

I'll give pure a nod. It's a great game and the only thing I've encountered that does riding a quad justice. Would have been gold if it had bothered to get licence's from Polaris, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and can am. I'd love to know if there's anything out there like it?

Anyway. Not a mention of F355 on the dreamcast? what a conversion that was, hard as nails arcade game, recreated on the little DC. I used to race it online, I say race as you'd race and then wait for your opponents laptime to appear and see if you'd beat it (or not)

The Sega racers such as Virtua Racing, Manx TT, PowerDrift, Sega Rally, Daytona etc. on Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast where you could go from Arcade to Home.

Then there’s DriveClub, how Sony could give up on that without realising what they now had (even if getting there had been troublesome), I’ll never know.

The arcadier the better, personally. I don't even get on with these simcade things that basically make arcade racing crappier. 

NFS: Most Wanted - gloriously cheesy cutscenes aside, this had solid racing together with police chases. 

Wipeout et al - what can be said about these? Once you get the hang of them they're probably the most satisfying racing games ever made (except Fusion on PS2).

SEGA Rally in the arcade - it's the distillation of pure arcade racing. 

Burnout 2, 3, Revenge and Dominator - couldn't decide as all these are great for different reasons. 

16 hours ago, ilpostino said:

Sega Rally Championship - arguably the perfect arcade racer, with an equally enjoyable home port on the Saturn.

EDIT: Have to put some music in here:

Extreme-G 3 - Bloody loved that game, great sense of speed.

Ah, a wonderful mixture of music and rally. You don't get that anymore.

Music.

And Rally.

Music... and Rally.

Music Rally...

musicrally-02-1643827083.jpg.8737504923bb9d775e48cfe498824687.jpg

surprised-italian-spiderman.gif

The king's. ..

(Although some would say PGR3 is better than 4. It's not. It's PGR3 with more content. PGR2 is up there as well.)

IMG_20220401_144928.jpg

IMG_20220401_145102.jpg

IMG_20220401_145155.jpg

IMG_20220401_145229.jpg

IMG_20220401_145312.jpg

Indy 500 (Amiga) (the first game I remember gitting gud at)
Geoff Crammond's GP2 (a mind blowing game at the time)
Stunt Car Racer (still an all time classic game and a favourite)
Skid Marks 
No Second Prize (super smooth bike game, really really slick and fast - mouse driven!)
Test Drive (Amazing attention to detail, the dashboards!)
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge (I'm a bit Meh about sprite racers, but this one was alright)
Super Cars 2 (Loved the after race player interviews)

Indy Car (PC) (insanely good for the time)

Motorhead (has an absolutely amazing aesthetic and sound track)
Live For Speed (first proper "SIM" I played online) 

Need for Speed (3DO) (I [wrongly] thought this was the 3DO's killer app, turned out to be 3DO's only app)

Virtua Racing (Arcade and Megadrive)
Power Drive and the arcade game "World Rally Championship" and then later Milie Miglia 2 - best top down arcade racers
Micro Machines

Metropolis Street Racer
Sega GT 2002 (Which I still maintain is better than the GT series)

Daytona (Arcade) (DayyyTonnnaaaaaa)
Sega Rally 
Outrun 2

Outrun 2: C2C (An absolute masterpiece)

Gran Turismo 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
the proper "not shit horizon" Forza series

Test Drive Unlimited 1 & 2 (1's probably the better)

PGR 2, (anyone saying 4 is wrong)

Driveclub

the best of all time, Driveclub (although GT7 is so so so close) - I will always adore Test Drive Unlimited

Super Off Road - C64

Indy 500 - MS Dos

Super Skid Marks - A1200

Car & Driver - MS Dos

Need for Speed - 3DO

Sega Rally - Saturn

Gran Turismo 1 through to 6

Dirt 5 (Yes, really!)

If I had to pick a personal top 5:

5. Mario Kart 8

Obligatory. Though to be honest I probably played Mario Kart 64 most.

4. DiRT Rally 2.0

The Dark Souls of racing games.

3. WipeOut Omega

In VR it's like stepping into the future. For reals.

2. Burnout 2

The most thrilling time I have ever had with automobiles.

1. F-Zero X

Nothing comes close. Racing in the most pure cut form.

Honourable mentions: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Micro Machines.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

(Although some would say PGR3 is better than 4. It's not. It's PGR3 with more content. PGR2 is up there as well.)

Loved PGR2 also... 3 was rushed a bit IMHO to meet launch deadlines and 4 is what 3 would/should have been...  :D

Have lots of great memories of PGR2 + XBox Live. However PGR4 still  pips it for me. It's like the best of 2 with just more of everything and an improved single player game* IMHO. 

* Well sans the motorbikes anyway they were an awful idea... :D 

5 hours ago, Nick R said:

Think FM brought a lot new things to the table... custom paint, decals, drivatars, AI that actually felt a bit more realistic and more fun to race against. For me it just clicked much more than GT3-A-Spec (which I bought a PS2 for!). Lovely visuals but just not as fun to play IMHO.