IGNORED

E3 2022 Has Been Cancelled

Robo_1

It's not the most effective way of getting news out there but I did enjoy the back to back to back press conferences and posting about it on here and elsewhere. Even when they were bad, and they often were, there was normally at least one thing that generated some entertainment. 

EA was an exception, did they ever do a conference that wasn't utterly joyless? 

The nightly Giant Bomb shows were possibly the best thing about old E3. Some great moments. 

Eh, it's not like there won't be other ways for ads announcements to be pushed to consumers. The condensed drop of information is fun and the forum discourse is always great, but it's not a huge loss for me.

Inevitable really but as long as the hype train and live nonsense on here stays alive, that's been the best bit of e3 for years. Bit of passing of time/ getting older feel to it but it would be like missing the yellow pages. 

Wonder if we'll immediately see all the big publishers and platform holders shuffle away from that window for their big early summer reveals.

Without the 'pressure' of an event to at least put out their direct presentation in the same week will they all pick their own times to try to get a little more oxygen or does packing themselves together get them some other advantage.

I wonder what will replace the business side of E3.

Away from the announcements and reveals, it was a huge source of deal making, particularly between developers and publishers.

Wonder where that goes now.

Were the E3 people still trying to charge ridiculous fees this year for publishers and devs to get involved? I remember that causing some annoyance last year, no surprise they didn’t have enough interest if they were trying it again.

3 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Sad news folks and very possibly the end of an era. E3 2022 has officially been cancelled according to IGN, as the industry shifts more to direct broadcasts.

The E3 conferences have always been a high point of the gaming calander and I'll miss the energy which surrounded the event, not least the evenings spent with matchsticks under the eyes on this very forum, sharing the highs, lows and cringe of it all.

Of course we'll still have these direct streams straight from the manufacturers, but if this really is it for E3, then I'll miss the pomp, spectacle and spontaneity of a live event.

I always wanted to go to E3. Reading about the expo in all of the various gaming magazines I read growing up (most, if not all of which have ceased being in print) presented the show with such an allure. 

One thing I can say is that it's definitely lost that edge.

57 minutes ago, TomatoConvenienceStore said:

I always wanted to go to E3. Reading about the expo in all of the various gaming magazines I read growing up (most, if not all of which have ceased being in print) presented the show with such an allure. 

Gamescom is bigger, better and cheaper to get to, if you still wanted to do the big gaming convention thing.

Well a lot of people have been catching Covid from in-person events and I don't think they add enough value to justify online so it makes sense.

Hopefully it'll come back next year!

2 hours ago, TomatoConvenienceStore said:

I was fortunate enough to go to E3 many moons ago and it was certainly an experience (this was back when booth babes were still around, which was all very cringe).

Came back with loads of tat that publishers foisted on me, too. But it was a fun few days, always gutted that I went to the Nintendo presentation instead of the Microsoft one though - this was back in 2005 when MS gave every attendee an HDTV as art of their . Nintendo didn't even give out a goodie bag! Cheapskates.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

As they will tell you to please understand, Nintendo gave you the honour of gazing upon their games. 

Well even worse, I dont even like Nintendo! But I wasn't the one driving, so I had no choice :D

7 hours ago, Isaac said:

I wonder what will replace the business side of E3.

Away from the announcements and reveals, it was a huge source of deal making, particularly between developers and publishers.

Wonder where that goes now.

It wasn't really, E3 is a consumer event, and the bizdev opportunities were always fairly limited, everyone was "super busy".

GDC (US) and Gamescom (Europe) are still the daddies of bizdev.