IGNORED

Melt your PC! It's ray traced Doom.

pulsemyne

Just because you can, doesn't me you should. Reminds me of the early 2000s where developers found the bloom option and put it on everything. They could have done some very subtle stuff, a bit like Quake for the saturn which had fancy 3d lights for the projectiles and things but this is like a complete rewrite in terms of look and tone.

26 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Probably the same reason people try to run it on a pocket calculator.

Hey, the whole first level fits in a PICO-8. Remarkable coding :)

It looks like what you get when someone takes one of those shareware "My First 3D FPS Creator" kits from the 00s, makes a map and then turns all of the effects sliders to maximum.

Looks fucking shit. 

Could be done beautifully, with restraint. Doom could be perfect for the tech but this just looks like sliders to eleven. 

RT has a gamut of uses and scenarios, shadows, lighting, yada yada. This looks like they've pushed them all to max with changes to the engine's artistry to boot.

Nah, lower those sliders please.

Well I'm going to swim upstream here and say I disagree - I think it looks like a big improvement.  The dynamic shadows are especially impressive.  That Cacodemon coming down the corridor has some real dramatic RT lighting that just isnt there in the prebaked original.  Some of the colour/bloom is a bit overdone maybe - but I think its generally really impressive.

4 hours ago, K said:

It seems like the kind of effect that’s transformative if you’ve spent more than £1500 on your computer, but is much less apparent if you’re just watching a >£1500 computer that someone else paid for.

😄 Indeed. Tech confirmation bias is the strongest bias there is.

Seemed to get awfully framey and that's them showing this - chances are that no normal high-end PC will be able to run it well for another generation of Graphics Cards

5 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Its a bit of a shame because it'll probably sell better then the total FUCKTON of doom clones currently making a comeback.

This is an account with four uploaded videos, all ray traced classic FPS games from different studios.

This is not an upcoming release, at least not in this form.

46 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

This is an account with four uploaded videos, all ray traced classic FPS games from different studios.

This is not an upcoming release, at least not in this form.

Ah fair enough.

Still. Have you seen the number of Doom clones? I bought about 8 on that Humble Bundle.

Anyway I thought many PC's could run RT Minecraft? Thats more intensive then Doom?

Mores the case we need a new graphical excuse to spend 1000's on those 4080TI's! 

Aint gonna get it from Resolution because that would require many more 1000's and even new rooms or houses to hold the 80+" screens. 

Suddenly that 1000£ graphics card doesn't seem so bad 🤪

Well I gave it a try and… it’s actually really cool. Even though for some reason it says DLSS is not supported (RTX 3070 and I put all the files in the correct place) it runs well at 1440p Ultrawide. 
It’s “different”, but it’s a cool experience! Reminds me of Doom 64 turned up to 11. In most games, raytracing adds subtle lighting, reflections and shadows that you probably wouldn’t miss if it was turned off, but occasionally I like it to be all in my face waving glow-sticks! Minecraft RT is another example of this.

2 hours ago, Treble said:

It prominently states "APRIL 1ST" at the end of the clip, so I'm choosing to believe it's an April Fool. 

Files are on GitHub, they link to a Google drive that’s being hit pretty hard, so it takes a few attempts to access it.

So far the only Ray Tracing I've actually thought was worth it was what they added to Doom Eternal. This is because a) it already fits in with the shiny surface aesthetic of the game so really adds to the atmosphere when fireballs are going off everywhere glinting off the metal, and b) ID are programming gods so it doesn't impact performance when using DLSS literally at all, and maybe even runs better because of it.

Everything else? Nah. Pre-baked art-directed scenes all the way.