IGNORED

Melt your PC! It's ray traced Doom.

pulsemyne

56 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The best thing about ray tracing is that you can turn it off for a massive performance boost.

Hadn't even thought of that. For consoles, companies targeting 30fps with ray-tracing means that having a 60fps performance mode is more likely. Excellent.

19 hours ago, Ketchup said:

They could have done some very subtle stuff, a bit like Quake for the saturn which had fancy 3d lights for the projectiles and things but this is like a complete rewrite in terms of look and tone.

When the cacodemon fired my first thought was 'blue fireballs in Exhumed still looks better'

18 hours ago, K said:

Ray tracing is one of those things that people bang on about, but having watched the Digital Foundry videos and played a few  ray-traced games on Series X, the impact seems pretty minimal. It feels like something you have to turn up to the absolute maximum to even notice, as in that Doom video. Like, I’ve seen it by on Control and Doom Eternal, and the only time I ever notice it’s on is when I see my character reflected in some windows; I’ve flicked it on and off in both games, and while they look different, I would honestly be hard-pressed to say one looked better. It’s like the end of an eye exam, when the guy is putting the final few lenses in, and you feel obliged to say one is better than the other because this is a test and you want to get the right answer, but you can’t actually perceive any qualitative improvement. Even on Digital Foundry, when they’re showing games with full ray tracing on very expensive PCs, it just looks a bit different. It seems like the kind of effect that’s transformative if you’ve spent more than £1500 on your computer, but is much less apparent if you’re just watching a >£1500 computer that someone else paid for. 

That Doom vid reminds me of when coloured lighting first started being introduced into 3D games, and suddenly all games looked like they took place inside a traffic light. 

Inclined to agree. So far I have used it in Metro Exodus, which has all kinds of gamma issues, am currently a few hours into Control and am mainly using it as the non-rtx lighting settings seem a bit broken and cause a very grainy effect for any reflective surface, and have ignored it entirely in Doom Eternal as the new nvidia drivers had broken it at the time when used alongside dlss. And it's so fast-paced I wouldnt notice the difference anyway.

So it isnt a great hitrate so far.

Maybe newer games will fare better where rtx has been part of the plan from day one of development, and if nothing else it'll save them a lot of time manually setting all the lighting. Just so long as they dont start to release demanding 'rtx-only' games just for the sake of saving dev hours.....maybe they can 'bake in' a static lighting system using their rtx'd build though so the player always has an old-school non-dynamic option to choose from though, and the devs still save the time. Win win?

Now dlss? If they could improve the time needed to train the algorithm to the point that you can pretty much dlss anything? That'd be huge.

Frankly with the increasing gpu demands coming down the pipeline they need every trick they can come up with to keep games accessible, and not blow the national grid because someone overclocked their 4090.

So the mod files for this have had an update already - now at version 1.01   

https://github.com/sultim-t/prboom-plus-rt/releases

One of the changes is "reduced bloom" 😊

@Dimahoo re: path tracing.  There are a few fully path traced games already; Quake II RTX,  Minecraft RTX, and Serious Sam: The First Encounter all use path tracing rather than just ray tracing.

Ray tracing should be on everything. Console Virgins be damned. *Evil laughter in 240Hz*.

I'm interested in trying this out as Quake II RTX is so special. Even if it does make me even more rabid for an RTX version of Perfect Dark.

IMO, the most useless implementation so far has to be Minecraft RTX, with CP2077 being the absolute killer app.

I think it's a very tricky thing as us gaming nerds are used to clever programming and pre baked stuff hiding the tricks. Even the pre rendered backgrounds of yore looked waaaaaay better than full polygons that we got with the first glut of 3d stuff.

Even then, as @Bennyquite rightly said, art direction made the biggest difference. Mario 64 still holds up so much more than the umpteen games that had a face or clothing texture stretched over a bad poly model. Buuuuuut, in defence of ray tracing, I really do genuinely find the screen space reflections so much more immersion breaking these days. The whole 'looking down at the floor and then up' making reflections appear, or through walls etc just looks really bad in comparison to actual global illumination. 

As we've got so used to the trickery though, the actual huge cost of doing it in real time isn't really worth the pay off yet. Especially in games going for photo realism.

The ray traced Mario 64 mod does show some nice and more subtle effects you can get when used "properly" though. But again, that's also related to the existing stylisation and art direction. It will be a thing in the next gen (or maybe a few years) that will be in everything but we won't really notice it until we go back to this and previous period and realise the smoke and mirrors we're used to (and happy with) just didn't look as good. 

Much like thinking back on older games, in my mind the first tomb raider had an amazing lifelike 3d rendition of a t-rex and a sphinx but in actuality it looks like a blocky mess :D

39 minutes ago, Fallows said:

IMO, the most useless implementation so far has to be Minecraft RTX, with CP2077 being the absolute killer app.

What specifically is useless about Minecraft RTX? It's the most modern game so far to feature the most advanced form of rendering commercially available and the implementation itself is well done.

Nvidia should have remade every classic game by now with modern path traced lighting, starting with the original Quake. Their internal studio has been silent for over a year now, but sadly seems to have been given the job of porting ancient games to the Nintendo Switch.

2 hours ago, mushashi said:

What specifically is useless about Minecraft RTX? It's the most modern game so far to feature the most advanced form of rendering commercially available and the implementation itself is well done.

Nvidia should have remade every classic game by now with modern path traced lighting, starting with the original Quake. Their internal studio has been silent for over a year now, but sadly seems to have been given the job of porting ancient games to the Nintendo Switch.

You say the last part like it's a bad thing! Give more old games on switch!

16 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

You say the last part like it's a bad thing! Give more old games on switch!

Nvidia's Lightspeed studios were the only professionally funded team doing this sort of thing, so having them loaned out to Valve is very disappointing as it indicates Nvidia have given up on their RT remake efforts. Both of the projects they worked on were excellent demonstrations for the transformative nature of a fully realtime total lighting solution.

Now, it's left to a single individual doing it for the heck of it to carry on.

The Half-Life port is looking interesting.