Return to Monkey Island (2022) - Ron Gilbert onboard!

kiroquai

There are no 'major' point and clicks any more in the way they were recognised in the 90s, because the market for video games is dramatically larger than it was then, and adventure games just don't make up near as much a proportion of said market as they used to. 100,000 copies sold would be seen as a catastrophic flop now for a 'major' game, but it was the target sales figure for Lucasfilm/arts adventures into the mid-90s!

(that being said, and assuming we exclude the Telltale-style adventures which focus on branching narrative over puzzling (so, no Life is Strange: True Colors, no Tell Me Why), I guess Beyond a Steel Sky is in with a shout as the most recent 'major' point and click, as the 2020 sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky)

I am reallllllly excited about this.

1&2 are absolute classics and I have a proper soft spot for 3 too. I know the ending tailed off and I know Ron was gone at that point but as a kid who didn't know better, 3 was a wonderful follow up.

4 I remember waiting to get for the PS2 and not getting on with it and the Telltale ones I couldn't stand - at least, I never finished the first "episode" - maybe it got better?

But yeh, a true sequel for MI2 is.... Wow, never thought I'd see the day. And Dominic Armato coming back is wonderful aswell. He has apparently given up all VO work and is a food critic these days so it was a nice surprise. I doubt it but does anyone know if Tim Schaefer is involved at all too?

Gosh, yeh.... I am so so so so so ready for this.

I think also MI 2 is with Prime Gaming this month if anyone wants to give it another run through.

Oh my god, I'm so happy about this.

adore the first two games, struggle to put into words what they mean to me, huge part of my childhood.

Got a lump in my throat as soon as I heard the music in that clip.

Probably would have chosen an art style similar to thimbleweed park, but the chosen one does seem to suit the world.

Cannot wait.

41 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

This is excellent news, but needs to lead to these guys returning in 2023

image.thumb.png.d9884243942fa492dfb29acc5dcb1c75.png

Yes!

MI1+2 hold a very dear place in my heart (and I like 3 too) but it's Day of the Tentacle I will rave about for all time. Such a stupid and amazing concept. The three characters and their interaction is brilliant.

From the man himself a few years back:

"It would be called Monkey Island 3a," he wrote. "All the games after Monkey Island 2 don't exist in my Monkey Island universe. My apologies to the all talented people who worked on them and the people who loved them, but I'd want to pick up where I left off. Free of baggage. In a carnival. That doesn't mean I won't steal some good ideas or characters from other games. I'm not above that."

I think I might cry manly tears if there is somehow a return to Mêlée Island. I always dreamt about taking a night-time wander around that place as a kid down by the pier or over at the circus or the Scumm Bar or over to the Governers Mansion.

For the 4 or 5 floppy disks on the Amiga for that game it sure created one hell of an atmosphere.

And what I didn't know was that in the PC version there was a sunset to start the game and then it moved to nighttime. Kinda cool

sunset.png

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

Do people hate Curse and Escape, then? Escape was the first I played and I loved it, only playing 1-3 when they were remastered a few years ago (and loved them, too!)

Did 3 get a remaster? If so, I need to play that again.

For me 1-3 are equally great despite the mismatch between 1&2 with 3. The 4th... It was fine. I could tell you beat for beat what happens in the first 3 but can barely remember anything about the 4th.

For the 4th I remember a catapult outside the mansion, throwing a dart at a balloon I think in the Scumm Bar and... A Planet Hollywood I think? And of course the Monkey Kombat but everyone remembers that part for the wrong reasons. I can't remember anything else though :( 

Actually.... Maybe it's time to give the 4th another go.

The art style looks pretty cool, more like Curse than the remakes. I would like a VGA mode though! 

I struggled to get into Thimbleweed Park, but I’m really excited for this. MI2 along with DotT and Fate of Atlantis (and even Curse of MI) are some of my favourite games ever.

3 minutes ago, PikaStu said:

I struggled to get into Thimbleweed Park, but I’m really excited for this. MI2 along with DotT and Fate of Atlantis (and even Curse of MI) are some of my favourite games ever.

I was the same, just don't like the team style point n clicks. I ended up rinsing the rest on Youtube to see the story at least.

I didn't enjoy Escape on first play. Got it when it came out for the PS2 back in the day and bounced off it pretty hard.

Went back last year when I played through the series sequentially with my wife and we both really enjoyed it, much to my surprise. Guess back in 2001 I had just gotten more into other genres and was leaving point-and-click/adventures behind for a while.

My wife didn't get into Curse at all. I quite liked it (especially the jaunty song with the barbershop trio!) but of the non-Telltale games think it's probably my least favourite. Would still happily play it again though!

13 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

From the man himself a few years back:

"It would be called Monkey Island 3a," he wrote. "All the games after Monkey Island 2 don't exist in my Monkey Island universe. My apologies to the all talented people who worked on them and the people who loved them, but I'd want to pick up where I left off. Free of baggage. In a carnival. That doesn't mean I won't steal some good ideas or characters from other games. I'm not above that."

7 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Did 3 get a remaster? If so, I need to play that again.

It was re-eleased, but not remastered.

It's been so long since I played Curse of Monkey Island, but I remember not liking it anywhere near as much as the first two games. I seem to recall that it all seemed quite random, in a Family Guy sort of way, although it obviously came out long beforehand. The first two games had loads of fourth wall-breaking jokes, but still somehow managed to make everything feel quite coherent and consistent, whereas Curse seemed happy to chuck stuff in because it was funny.

10 minutes ago, K said:

It's been so long since I played Curse of Monkey Island, but I remember not liking it anywhere near as much as the first two games. I seem to recall that it all seemed quite random, in a Family Guy sort of way, although it obviously came out long beforehand. The first two games had loads of fourth wall-breaking jokes, but still somehow managed to make everything feel quite coherent and consistent, whereas Curse seemed happy to chuck stuff in because it was funny.

It can be forgiven for a lot because it had the duelling banjos in 🤣

3's puzzles really aren't quite "right" without going into a very long post though but it does have some good bits and some cracking characters.

I played all three of them back to back over lockdown and the structure and how the puzzles play out is quite different in the 3rd

If we can't agree on the quality of 3, can we at least agree that the locations & music were stunning? Arguably better than 1 & 2 for me.

The Goodsoup Hotel, that entire area, the atmosphere it evokes - I remember it truly feeling like things were coming to an end.

Also the first island was joyous! The barber shop, the chicken (??) restaurant (ask me bout Grim Fandango) the big snake the dude sunbathing the orchestra playing in the backstage theatre. The atmosphere in 3 was suuuuuuperb.

Yeah there's lots of good stuff in 3 but the actual puzzles are what I was talking about. It's really evident if you play them after each other. 

Some of it is probably due to the interface change as well but things like the wet towels on the beach, or even how high you can crank the barber shop chair, the construction and type of puzzles aren't the same.

But yeah, some of the characters and locations are great. El pollo diablo alone is a great idea :)