Return to Monkey Island (2022) - Ron Gilbert onboard!

kiroquai

My pixel/ classic/ retro version of the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7d3phC9cwU&ab_channel=EdgarPartida

I really love the pixel art (and I really expected that Ron and the rest of the team could be used the retro style). That was a little disappointed for me, but also we must remember that Ron Gilbert as god, and Return to Monkey Island ad the best news of the century. I really want to buy and play it! I was dreaming thin moment for 30 years…

Don’t worry about the pixels style. I’ll make a Demake/old school/classic version, totally free (if no one put charge on me… I offer to do this free for everybody, just for passion)

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Thor said:

Looks great, can't wait! 

I would trade in all the video games I have worked on just for the chance to have worked on this and had a joke in there that goes like:

Guybrush: 'Haha, now you die LeChuck!'

LeChuck: 'Who?'

Guybrush: 'LeChuck!'

LeChuck: 'I don't know who that is. I am Thor!'

Guybrush: '...'

Thor?: '...'

Just now, kiroquai said:

I would trade in all the video games I have worked on just for the chance to have worked on this and had a joke in there that goes like:

Guybrush: 'Haha, now you die LeChuck!'

LeChuck: 'Who?'

Guybrush: 'LeChuck!'

LeChuck: 'I don't know who that is. I am Thor!'

Guybrush: '...'

Thor?: '...'

:hug:

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I just wish I could reach through the screen and bitch slap every nerd complaining about that wonderful art style underneath that tweet :angry:

A couple of genuine utter cretins there.

19 minutes ago, R0b said:

Any room here for not loving the art style on its own merits without being lumped in with the weirdo angry internet boys, or do I have to take a side and champion the aesthetic to support my creative principles on RG being free to make his own thing how he wants to? 

I've never been fond of the segmented Broken Age-esque style in games. :(

Nope, I hate the art style too. Nothing wrong with that. I wish Ron Gilbert had gone the pixel direction (ala Turtles Shredders Revenge) I feel it would have got universal acclaim, but he didn't so hey ho. I'm really glad he's getting to do it though! Maybe some enterprising kids will patch in some pixel art some day. 

I really don't like the animation style, I have to say - I'm not a fan of the flappy-limbed, paper-doll, Flash look. In fact, I'm not a massive fan of the aesthetic at all - the more I've seen of the game, the less I'm into it.

Yeah, the paper doll look is definitely a distinctive art style, so its naturally going to be divisive even before you consider that it's following up a beloved series* (oddly I don't really associate it with Flash, even though the animation system is common to it; partially because in my head Flash graphics are always barebones vector sharpness, partially because I watched a fair bit of paper doll animation as a child. Yes, I've always been cool).

Obviously it's easy to say this when I happen to really like the aesthetic, but I'm glad they've gone for something non-generic — it at least shows character and a desire to have the game at least somewhat art-driven approch, something that a surprising number of point and clicks seem to pass on. I dramatically prefer this to e.g. the aggressively bland look of the most recent Broken Sword game.

* though, obviously, given the series had six distinct art styles over its course to date,** there's no single one that would have pleased everyone

** for those keeping track, that's: original Secret's pixel-art,*** Revenge's crunchy painterly style, Curse's cartoon style, Escape's "oh god why" style, Tales' "ehh" style, and the Special Editions' "not quite right" painterly style

*** arguably two art styles here, as the EGA original is somewhat distinct from [and superior to] the VGA version