The Back Page Podcast - Big Patreon Energy is go.

Sarlaccfood

On 17/08/2022 at 11:37, Sarlaccfood said:

I love the interview eps but for a live show yeah, it needs to be wall to wall bullshit. 

I assume J.C’s Kitchen do events too? God there’d be so much explaining to do. That phone call itself could be a XXL tier podcast. 

Live show with JC Kitchen cooking demonstrations and on-site food truck confirmed.

As someone who isn’t a huge fan of Lucasarts adventure games (I’ve played a few of the remasters, and did enjoy them, but they largely passed me by in my youth and I don’t think I’ve ever finished one), I thought the latest episode was wonderful, and it’s made me want to get a bunch of them on my Steam Deck.

Just a lovely conversation about them all, and an absolute treat hearing from someone so passionate about the series. Also, the ending to Monkey Island 2 sounds incredible :wub:

42 minutes ago, Paulando said:

As someone who isn’t a huge fan of Lucasarts adventure games (I’ve played a few of the remasters, and did enjoy them, but they largely passed me by in my youth and I don’t think I’ve ever finished one), I thought the latest episode was wonderful, and it’s made me want to get a bunch of them on my Steam Deck.

Just a lovely conversation about them all, and an absolute treat hearing from someone so passionate about the series. Also, the ending to Monkey Island 2 sounds incredible :wub:

The ending to MI2 (which I re-experienced this morning in prep for the new game) is easily one of the best endings to any game. It's a proper left field twist that has never been matched.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Gambit said:

An absolute all timer this week folks.

The Doom story will go down in history. :lol:

Was trying to remember the Doom story from this week. Then realised I only finished listening to the "latest" episode this morning and that it's already Friday again. 🤦‍♂️

Given all the praise in here and looking for a new podcast I gave this a go, and have been going through the back catalogue cherry picking topics that interest me. What makes this stand out from some other gaming podcasts is the writers background of the crew, the easy chemistry and their depth of knowledge. Although I feel like there's an overreliance on old games and nostalgia for content, as well as games mag chat, it makes up for it with insightful commentary and unearthing games in the nostalgia bits that you've either forgotten or never heard of.

In terms of newer games Sam and Matt play a lot, so you get plenty of impressions through the lens of professional reviewers eyes. I appreciate that they're able to chat about games critically and enthusiastically, being a good writer does not necessarily translate to being able to talk about the same things with ease but the Back Page guys are good at it. The banter is also good and I like that things aren't po-faced and are a bit silly at times.

Whilst saying that they talk about games mag stuff a bit too much (which is understandable given their backgrounds), I have found some of the games mag chat very interesting, like how reviews were done, what it was like to work with certain devs and the funny look at mag quotes from the horny era. I also appreciated the deep dives, the first episode I listened to was the Xenoblade one and even as a Xenoblade fan myself I learned a bunch of interesting tidbits about development.

So yeah, this is a good recommendation for a gaming podcast and congrats to the guys for continuing to grow an audience. One thing I'd really like to see (hear) is some chats or interviews with developers maybe in a deep dive format on a particular title or series, I'm sure Sam and Matt would have a ton of interesting things to ask about.

Okay, the doom story really is one for the ages. Had to stop making dinner to initially laugh and Matthew breaking down trying to tell the story and then my own reaction to it.

My journey bouncing around the back catalogue finally reached the first episode today (not that I've listened to them all, just finally caved and starting from the beginning).

And it's lucky I didn't start at the beginning. I'd have simply turned it off and never come back at the moment they seemingly lament the lack of an aggressive console war culture. Playground stuff.

But fortunately I guess other opinions have given them the benefit of the doubt.

Although.. I'd love an update to the Series X vs PS5 topic now. See how their opinion has evolved.

I've tried giving this Podcast a go over the last few weeks due to this thread but I just can't listen to it I'm afraid. I tend to listen to Podcasts when I'm in bed but the high pitched laugh that one of the presenters has just goes right through me and stops me nodding off. It's a shame because it's quite interesting otherwise.

Haha I love his laugh, it’s really infectious.

53 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I'd love an update to the Series X vs PS5 topic now. See how their opinion has evolved

I do have a vague memory of Sam saying they’ll do a kind of check-in on this gen when he was doing a rundown for the rest of the year, but maybe I’m mis-remembering.

Loved the latest Game Court. The pube story had me shaking, ha.

I rarely buy games from eBay myself so have posted a list of some GameCube games I've sold recently on eBay with the prices I got for them. I'm not sure if they'll go for it or not 😅

15 hours ago, SuperFamiTom said:

I've tried giving this Podcast a go over the last few weeks due to this thread but I just can't listen to it I'm afraid. I tend to listen to Podcasts when I'm in bed but the high pitched laugh that one of the presenters has just goes right through me and stops me nodding off. It's a shame because it's quite interesting otherwise.

The laugh’s fun, it’s its much higher volume compared to normal speech on the podcast that’s a bit of an issue at times. Need some compression and EQ on that audio track! Love the podcast, though.

I feel a little twatty and self-conscious criticising given that The Back Page is still one of my favourite podcasts and Samuel occasionally pops in here, but I am a little disappointed they seem to be ramping up the guests recently. I find the people they get in either have to be entertaining in and of themselves (Dan Dawkins, Nathan Brown, Jen Simpkins) or slot in effortlessly in the friendship dynamic (Rich Stanton, Catherine Castle) otherwise Samuel and Matthew tone themselves down a bit. The core partnership - and the chummy bullshit it produces - is one the main strengths of the show for me. 

I dunno. I might be on my own here, but there's been a couple of times where it feels like the guest is sucking the air out of the room a bit. 

Yeah, thing is, you don’t need to listen to every episode of a podcast, as much as the creators would understandably prefer that. I listened to an eBay games court episode once, it wasn’t for me, so I tend to skip it these days. Still love the podcast, and I appreciate the variety.

Any guest should be comfortable, so Matthew and Samuel toning down their style to fit the situation is perfectly understandable. Not really sure there’s a way around that, so probably best skipping those episodes if they’re not working for you.

I do think the guests work best when the episode has a specific topic they have more expertise on that might not have happened otherwise, like the Dreamcast episode and the more recent Lucasarts one, and learning about their history and what they do is a bonus.

1 hour ago, samuelwroberts said:

I think the lesson I take from the discussion here (other than that my laugh holds back the podcast's ability to be a sleeping aid) is that no one exactly agrees on what a variety podcast's strengths are. 

yeah it’s impossible to please everyone, so best not to even try to!

Yeah, I mean that's fair - and simply skipping them is the simplest solution should it really bother me - but it was more a comment that the frequency of them is going up a bit.

The previous two episodes to the current one had guests and I think they mentioned the next two are due to have guests as well. That seems like a high proportion to me. I wouldn't want it to be wall-to-wall Games Court either. 

I do seem to be totally on my own here, mind 😅

Yes follow the tcgs way…please yourselves and the audience will find you. 

Although I do agree that the guests have been somewhat on the dry side but I also imagine they haven’t done many podcasts before. I also think game court is done as a concept really as it feel a bit pointless when the submitters are taking the piss. 

24 minutes ago, DualSense said:

Yes follow the tcgs way…please yourselves and the audience will find you. 

Although I do agree that the guests have been somewhat on the dry side but I also imagine they haven’t done many podcasts before. I also think game court is done as a concept really as it feel a bit pointless when the submitters are taking the piss. 

But then, is it done when every other bit of feedback is positive for this week's episode? I would like more peril, but people seem to enjoy the bullshit around it. 

Might log out and wipe my internet history so you can discuss the pod in peace 😂

5 minutes ago, samuelwroberts said:

But then, is it done when every other bit of feedback is positive for this week's episode? I would like more peril, but people seem to enjoy the bullshit around it. 

Might log out and wipe my internet history so you can discuss the pod in peace 😂

Don't do that! I think it's lovely to hear from creators occasionally.

And I couldn't agree with Paulando more about not needing to love every episode or opinion to love the work overall. It's form the backdrop of most of my time out of the house at the moment and that says more than any of my half arsed opinions about specific topics or comments.

I think my only criticism of the show at the moment is that there's just so much of it with all the Patreon stuff, and it's all unmissable. :D

I think I'd be happy with it as my only podcast at this point, not that I could ditch TCGS. I've not had any issues with the amount of guests, Games Courts or anything else. The guests have been a great way to address games the hosts aren't quite so familiar with when necessary, and it's been fun to see them start to get involved with the "bullshit" too.

Oh I love games court! It's a nice to chance to hear about games that wouldn't come up otherwise, and has some genuine laughs (Michael Caine and the water tanks still raises a smile).

As with any podcast there's the occasional episode that doesn't do it for me, but I've found it's not the ones I was expecting. When the Lucasarts adventure game episode dropped I was a bit meh, but it turned into one of my favourite episodes.

I am pleased with literally all of the output from the Backpage, including the increasingly ludicrous Games Court lore. 

Samuel could shoot someone on Pulteney Bridge and it wouldn’t affect my enjoyment of the podcast. 

I find the increasing disdain for people not entering into the true spirit of Games Court to be really funny. 

The only episode I skipped was the Destiny one, because I find Destiny chat is like listening to someone talking interminably about the dream they had last night. Almost every games podcast these days seems to have a semi-regular guest that loves talking about that game, but that's what the skip function is for, right? The problem is mine, really.