IGNORED

Max Payne 1 and 2 remake - Remedy developing

Majora

• Majora changed the title to Max Payne 1 and 2 remake - Remedy developing

Something about Control that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention is the fantastic environmental destruction and debris. I often found myself wishing there was some kind of slow-mo mechanic to fully appreciate everything that was happening on screen, so I'm guessing this game will look pretty spectacular in motion.

I'm not fussed about them being faithful recreations, so long as the Remedy tone is there. Rockstar's clear desire to make Max Payne 3 a Michael Mann game didn't do much for me, as well realised as it was in many respects.

This is great news. I played through all the Max Payne games when they were made backwards compatible last year, and they really hold up. You have a pretty limited set of moves, but the different scenarios still throw up unique little action movie moments. The prospect of Remedy remaking the games with the physics, detail, and environmental destruction of Control is very enticing. 

The only thing is whether the game can really match up to the scope and variety of the original games. Remedy designed Control so that it took place in a very limited number of environments that were intended to be mostly enclosed, just to limit the scale and size of the game to avoid the usual Remedy thing of taking the best part of a decade to make a game. It’ll be interesting to see whether they can remake two Max Payne games to modern levels of quality without having to reduce the scope of the final product. I guess it depends on how much money Rockstar gives them; hopefully, they’ve learned their lesson about doing things on the cheap after the GTA trilogy remaster. 

The first one was pretty awesome at the time, except for the dream sequences. It hasn’t aged well though so they’ll have to make a fair few changes. If they’re using the Control engine it could be pretty spectacular. 

1 minute ago, Girth Certificate said:

I hope they keep the baddies faces and awesome voice acting. It wouldn't be the same without them

Yeah, standing around a corner listening to them have a conversation and interrupting them mid sentence was my favourite bit of the first two, really contributed to the humour and atmosphere.

I'd be curious to see if they are able to match the slo-mo action from Stranglehold on a  consistent basis. The restaurant from the first level of that game is still the peak of slo-mo shooters as far as I'm concerned. 

I'm not overly excited about going back to Max Payne though. I played the first a bit on PC and beat the second game on the Xbox and they were fine but I never had the urge to go back to them. 

Will you still be able to throw grenades ahead of you to try and break in-engine cutscenes?

Will MP1 Max still look like he’s chewing a shard of glass?

12 hours ago, Thor said:

I never finished the first game due to the stupid as fuck blood trail bullshit. I don't think I bothered with 2 at all.

The blood trail was easy when I realised you could see parts of it way below you and jump down to different sections if you ran and leapt at the right spot. Saved loads of frustration, skipping the worst parts 🤣

I would imagine they would rework the Blood trail bits to make them less painful than in the original. They know people hated those elements so you would hope they would address them in a remake.

On board for this either way. I assume Rockstar are also testing the water for a potential full blown reboot of the series based on how well these perform.

There is no way in a million years the original blood trails are going be in any remake. It would be perverse of them to include something they know everyone hates.

I hope they generally smooth out the rough edges of the original games, which were designed with quick save/quick load in mind. But yes, I haven’t played those games since release, so it’ll be fun to revisit them as it was Alan Wake. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I hope they generally smooth out the rough edges of the original games, which were designed with quick save/quick load in mind. But yes, I haven’t played those games since release, so it’ll be fun to revisit them as it was Alan Wake. 

It sounds like a remake in the vein of the recent Resident Evils, in other words whole new modern game.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Looking forward to the Control easter eggs making Max Payne an official part of the Remedy connected universe :)

Yes, this needs to happen (and I'm sure it will). Don't think Rockstar ownership of the ip will cause issues on this front.

4 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Yes, this needs to happen (and I'm sure it will). Don't think Rockstar ownership of the ip will cause issues on this front.

The Alan Wake remaster was farmed out to another developer, so that was never going to have additional Easter Eggs - but these games are being made by Remedy themselves who have emphasized that they have full creative control and R* is only concerned with the funding and publishing parts. And it's known that Remedy always wanted to include outright Max Payne references in both Quantum Break and especially Control, but couldn't due to selling the license. Hence we had to make due with a wink to the elevator manufacturer in Control and a subtle book based reference in Alan Wake. I can't imagine that they wouldn't have hashed this out with R* as part of the deal 

I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS

The best bit about the Max Payne games on the PC was the modding scene.

I doubt they will bother to remake the mod tools but some of the original PC mods were fantastic at the time.

Recently played Max Payne 2 due to the Xbox One BC and man, that's still a great game. The comic book stylings will be out I fear, though they are one of the things that have helped the originals age well. 

I'm really interested how Remedy will handle this one. Got every faith they will do it justice , mind. Dick justice. 

It's been a great turnaround for Remedy though hasn't it? I was genuinely worried they might fold after Quantum Break flopped, now they have projects flooding out. With Alan Wake 2 in full swing this must be years away though. 

Speaking of Stranglehold, I'd completely forgotten I'd played through it until recently. I seem to be recalling all sorts of mediocre to good games of late.

16 hours ago, Benny said:

Speaking of Stranglehold, I'd completely forgotten I'd played through it until recently. I seem to be recalling all sorts of mediocre to good games of late.

It peaks super early so that's understandable. The restaurant is the highlight of the game. Running up the bannister of the staircase, diving onto a serving trolley, the sheer amount of stuff that broke as the fight went on. It's a genuinely fantastic sequence. The rest of the game is just fine with a few neat set pieces but no more "wow" moments. 

16 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Recently played Max Payne 2 due to the Xbox One BC and man, that's still a great game. The comic book stylings will be out I fear, though they are one of the things that have helped the originals age well. 

I would have thought they'd include the comic book sequences - they're such a prominent part of the original that it would be strange to change them to conventional cutscenes. Not to mention a lot more expensive - I read somewhere that they made the development of the original game a lot cheaper, because they were quicker to make and could easily be used to cover up for dropped or rearranged levels. Plus, they'd look really nice on modern displays. Hopefully they'll retain the gurning-programmers-in-fancy-dress vibe of the original.

Looking forward to these - hopefully the gameplay/controls  will be vastly improved as I went back to no 2 on the series x and it was verging on the unplayable. Really has not aged well.

I've never played them. I did pick them up cheap on Steam last year after playing through the third game, but just 'cos something's in my library doesn't mean I'm going to actually play it. That way madness lies.