Small, specific kitchen gadgets that you love

cowfields

I want to treat-yo-self (my-self) with some kitchen kit but I don't really want to spend £££££ I just want a few little fun things.

We've talked about Thermomixes and sous vide wands and all manner of bigger appliance stuff but i'm talking about smaller specific tools.

I mean there are obvious things. Yes a pair of tongs is good. Sure you need a good frying pan. But what about the less thought of small little things? What about those solutions in search of problems?

Since watching Great British Menu I've become obsessed with 'passing things' but I have a drum sieve that's a bit awkward. so I really want to buy a Chinois. When I do bother it is quite nice getting a silky sauce without grit or bits but a big sieve is awkward when you're trying to get it into a small pot for pouring. 

On a similar vein I really want to get a cheap multi pack of sauce bottles. This kind of thing...

image.png.0caf7f795ba39a4759a79a95f44adf0c.png

Simply because I've been into making quick dressings or sauces with my Vitamix as well as trying to plate-up more artistically. I also think they're quite good at putting oil on top of food because it's a fine stream that you can 'draw on' rather than a huge glug that's hard to distribute. 

Things I actually own though:

I got a microplane grater, I mean everyone has a grater but the fine snow of parmesan is just great, seems to go further but use less which is good because we've been calorie counting. but it is really nice for grating garlic quickly and easily.

More expensive but I'm surprised at how often I use my Thermapen - just because a lot of times you realise things do suggest ideal temperatures. Heating soup in the microwave. Proving bread dough. It's not just for meat! 

Uh, what else...

a wide silicon spatula...seems silly but it's so nice for giving a very thin layer of oil distributed on a cast iron pan to ensure it's coated but not swimming. It's good for flipping a delicate omelette because it's distributing the weight more. Just a surprisingly useful purchase for something like £5

image.thumb.png.40d7568d3c0f47ff604373b0ac204912.png

A bonus mention is we got something similar to this, a mango corer. Such a specific tool but man I fucking hated trying to cut out the mysteriously huge mango centre, but this thing works very nicely, and my cousin found it absolutely hilarious and I'll let you guess why she did.

image.thumb.png.73385247cff5c0e656b59e90dcf2077f.png

I love having this easily accessible, perfect for making a quick egg mayo and goes straight in the dishwasher, less than £20 on Amazon

p6wfaplpkg1qltumgds9_1800x1800.jpg?v=160

Also can never have enough pairs of mini silicone tipped tongs to hand, I don't actually like the bigger ones that much but the little ones are just an extension of my hands for turning things or picking bits up that are too hot to handle.

I cut a lot of onions and find having a good mandoline is a great help. I do actually need to get a new one though, anybody got a recommendation? 

Drug dealer scales for weighing out acids, salt, yeast etc to the .1 of a gram.

I do have normal scales that do half grams but they aren't really that accurate.

Tiny clay pots I bought from someone in the creative folder that are perfect for weighing out little bits of stuff in, or putting dips in.

On 07/04/2022 at 13:48, Gabe said:

I cut a lot of onions and find having a good mandoline is a great help. I do actually need to get a new one though, anybody got a recommendation? 

Benriner. Either the normal one, or the wide one if you need to do bigger things. Industry standard.

I don't use mine much tbh, I mostly just use a knife. It does come out when I want to cut radishes very thinly though.

On 07/04/2022 at 13:48, Gabe said:

I've got the OXO Good Grips one, and it's predictably great like most of their stuff. But I don't find I actually use it much. Like @stephen129, a knife is just usually more part of my routine.

I bought a little utensil holder from instagram that I find really handy. It site beside your cooked and you put spatulas, spoons, tongs in it while you're cooking to save your counter getting messy. You can also stand a pot lid in it. 

Lid.thumb.jpg.36ec421099c6088d25b260d9e1517e6b.jpg

I've also stopped buying tupperware and started buying glass storage jars from Ikea. Makes me feel like a YouTuber when I'm using them. 

23 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I bought a little utensil holder from instagram that I find really handy. It site beside your cooked and you put spatulas, spoons, tongs in it while you're cooking to save your counter getting messy. You can also stand a pot lid in it. 

Lid.thumb.jpg.36ec421099c6088d25b260d9e1517e6b.jpg

I use an old broken mug (smashed the handle off) to put 'in use' utensils in while cooking.  The mug was a gift from years back so did not want to just throw it away after I broke it; took a while for me to think of this alternative use though!

Another cheap insta-buy was this adaptor for my kitchen tap. It has two mode - regular flow and a shower flow. Really handy for rinsing plates before the dishwasher or washing a big sieve of rice. Cost a couple of quid and took about 30 seconds to fit.

558678327_ScreenShot2022-04-14at09_01_31.png.90044ffad3c4b7faddabd15e56e0000b.png

• 4 months later...

Nothing to add but to say what a great thread.  I've ordered a wide spatula, (why was I not aware of such a thing?) and the mini chopper with the pull cord to save getting my trusty electric Bosch mini chopper out for smaller jobs.

Oh since the post I bought a six pack of those sauce bottles from Nisbets and let me tell you it was a great purchase. 

We have a refills shop down the road so I actually use one for showergel I can buy without wasting more single use plastic. 

But I also put different oils in and thryre great for finishing a salad or just going a little easier on oil when cooking. 

It's also great to fill them up with ingredients for dressing and to then add as you like on a salad. 

Or dollop mayo and tomato sauce for a quick Marie Rose sauce to keep in the fridge. 

There is something actually that I bought recently.  I got these as a cheap alternative to buying Frylight, filling these up with olive oil instead.  I haven't used them extensively yet, but they seem pretty good from the couple of squirts that I have tried so far.

14 minutes ago, cowfields said:

We have a refills shop down the road so I actually use one for showergel I can buy without wasting more single use plastic. 

I wish we had somewhere like that near us.  I have been using shampoo bars and body soap more often from the likes of Lush and grüum to cut down, but filling up my own bottles locally would be great.

We're very lucky to have it so locally. It's good for spices and dried things because it's local enough we can pop down to get just what we actually wanted for a recipe, rather than buying a kg. 

Its not particularly cheaper, mind. Because I guess it's also fancy organic stuff but also good quality and less waste for our own bins. 

3 hours ago, Stejay said:

There is something actually that I bought recently.  I got these as a cheap alternative to buying Frylight, filling these up with olive oil instead.  I haven't used them extensively yet, but they seem pretty good from the couple of squirts that I have tried so far.

This seems to be a link to the front page of Rllmuk for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2022 at 09:07, Silent Runner said:

Another cheap insta-buy was this adaptor for my kitchen tap. It has two mode - regular flow and a shower flow. Really handy for rinsing plates before the dishwasher or washing a big sieve of rice. Cost a couple of quid and took about 30 seconds to fit.

558678327_ScreenShot2022-04-14at09_01_31.png.90044ffad3c4b7faddabd15e56e0000b.png

I only recently saw this thread but I ordered one of these (I just went with the cheapest listing I could find on ebay) and it's great, so convenient!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275450496761

• 2 weeks later...