IGNORED

BAFTA Game Awards 2022

42 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Narrative - Unpacking

Yes.

In a world of sub-B Movie nonsense, this told a beautiful little story through inanimate objects. Loved it.

The categories do have some odd overlaps. Why is best game design a separate category to best game? Returnal is the best game and is an original property, so why did something else win the best original property category?

I guess this applies to film and TV awards as well - how do people know which film has the best script? Does everyone who votes read the scripts of all the films nominated? How do they know whether the structure and dialogue of the final film was in the script, or was introduced in editing or improvised by the actors?

51 minutes ago, K said:

Returnal is the best game and is an original property, so why did something else win the best original property category?

My favourite of this nature was when Eden Hazard finished second in the PFA Young Player of the Year award, but then went on to win Player of the Year in the same awards ceremony, suggesting that his problem was he just wasn't good enough at being young.

Stuff like the above is usually just done to share the love isn't it? It's a bit daft but probably preferable to seeing Returnal's name next to every single viable award when it already got the most important one anyway.

I think it’s a real shame the voice actor for the main character in Forza Horizon 5 did not win anything. They absolutely nail that up themselves influencer vibe that the game seems to be going for. 

In all seriousness though hats off to Housemarque. Absolute beasts!!!

K: Because the categories are determined by separate juries. They don't compare notes which I guess makes sense to avoid horse trading.

I think the BAFTA games awards are stuck in a terminal decline at this point. Even taking into account the challenges of having had to move the ceremony online during lockdown, and fewer games coming out over the last year. The last few have struggled to attract sponsors (unsurprising when it's no longer televised), and have steadily moved to smaller venues with lower profile (cheaper) hosts, fewer international hosts/guests/honorees, and fewer games being submitted for consideration (not helped by them increasing the fees every year - the initiative of letting studios submit their first game free has long gone). They didn't even give out a fellowship award this year.

I sometimes see stuff from continental European games awards shows, where they get proper arts funding, actually have meaningful links to academia and serious art criticism, awareness of their history, and do proper outreach. The BAFTAs look like a sad retail industry dinner by comparison.

Now that the BGI and NVM exist, I think the games sector in the UK should run it's own 'prestige' awards programme. It's only ever been one money spinner among several for BAFTA, and they care more about 1.) games as a secondary job market for actors, screenwriters and composers and 2.) presenting the industry as a safe, commercial, family friendly production line for Sony-style blockbusters, than honouring developers and exceptional artistry and craft in the medium.

You're never going to see really out there arty indie games at BAFTA, or see the main awards go to a game without voice acting/mocap, or the music award go to something that doesn't sound like a movie score.