Sega go mad, greenlight new Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio

bear

Can't help but wonder if it's possible that Sega could have come to a financial agreement with Bomb Rush Cyberfunk to have the JSR license and that's what the new JSR will be? *edit* never mind read the article they're sighting Fortnite and free to play as what they're aiming for with them. So it still sounds like Bomb Rush will be the JSR game we want :D

42 minutes ago, SeanR said:

two words:

real cities

two more words:

licensed cars

image.gif.c524474b934d30a715c331a296320019.gif

Licensed movie cars maybe. 

Real cities. Good god no. I remember people hyping up the Getaway for being an accurate representation of London which I'm sure was very impressive for people who wanted to do a bit of sightseeing. Miserable place to drive around though. Those Activision True Crimes games had the same issue. LA and New York were no fun. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

People, stop getting excited about Sega leaks or announcements - they've done this to you so many times before.

It'll be announced but coming out or the that small black and white thing with a fishing rod handle on the side.

You mean they're reviving the Get Bass series too? :o

I never get excited about Sega anymore. Other than the Yakuza series, they can't really be relied upon to deliver what old-school fans want. It's kind of a contradiction really because they try and rehash their old IPs and glory days but, at the same time, they aren't important or even known properties to a lot of gamers anymore.

I want proper Saturn emulation and re-releases, a definitive Outrun compilation (including Turbo, Outrunners etc.), and a new Fighters Megamix with all the Virtua Fighter/Fighting Vipers characters + characters from SoR, Golden Axe, Yakuza and the rest Sega's properties - but I know that none of this is ever likely to happen because not enough people would care to make these things financially attractive to the money men.

3 hours ago, merman said:

The fact they are saying these may be live service games or involve NFTs fills me with dread. Sega might as well be dead.

3 hours ago, Haribokart said:

Despite a feint pulse during CPR, Sega died with the Dreamcast to me 😢

Check out these fools missing out in the best game series ever made. Get yourself in the Yakuza thread, fools! And rediscover why you like gaming in the first place.

1 hour ago, megamixer said:

I never get excited about Sega anymore.

Can't agree with this. The past couple of years we've had Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4 and Shenmue III. Each of these completely unimaginable to exist in the manner they do.

I'm okay with accepting a few Banana Mania and Sonic Frontiers in the mix.

21 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's really bizarre how much effort Sega have put into trying to revive their old franchises compared to how little success they've got out of them:

• PS2 Gen - Microsoft funds new releases in a bunch of Sega franchises: JSRF, Crazy Taxi, Panzer Dragoon Orta, presumably to make them part of their future first party slate, but none of them are successful enough for a sequel.
  • PS3 Gen - They re-release a bunch of games as XBLA HD editions: Jet Set Radio, Rez HD, NIGHTS, Sega Bass Fishing, Sonic Adventure DX, etc. Only Sonic makes money.
  • PS4 Gen - Multiple Sega back catalogue services are released and limp through a bunch of Mega Drive titles before being discontinued due to lack of interest, some more HD rereleases that are more miss than hits (Monkey Ball fucked physics edition, that House of the Dead one).
  • PS5 Gen - What if we threw more good money after bad, but with the corpses of franchises to shill NFTs?

I mean if you listen to people on here Sega are sitting on "all this beloved IP and doing nothing with it", when really they've been trying to get it off the ground endlessly but keep running into lack of demand. The thing about reselling nostalgia is, the games kind of have to be widely popular in the first place y'know? You can't have a Crash HD collection level success with games that struggled to break a million the first time around. No one bought a Saturn or a Dreamcast, that's why they stopped making them!

No one under 35 knows about any of these series these days, and they're just alan_partridge_shrug.gif to anyone else. I know when I tried Jet Set Radio HD re-release after hearing everyone bang on about it for the last ten years I was disappointed, I went in expecting Tony Hawks but with a sense of style and tight Japanese gameplay and got a very loose and floaty feeling platformer where the gameplay involved doing QTEs or kiting enemies over to one end of the level so you could do QTEs without being interrupted, all styled after a very dated mid-90s rollerblading boom that no one even remembers.

I can’t say I disagree with this description of JSR but it’s still somehow a brilliant game. I think I might rinse it again soon.

For me JSR is great to look at, not so much to play. It's everything I dislike about timed missions in open-world games, as a whole game. Learning through failure - around 900 seconds for each failed run - until you find the one optimal route and order for all of the tag locations. What's an amazing and exciting experience the first time quickly gets old when you're trying to find the one part of your run that wasn't perfect. That said, I can accept that *I'm* the problem; the whole point is that it's a time-attack game for those who enjoy perfecting their approach. But it's also why I prefer the leisurely format of Future. (Well, apart from things like that time bomb mission...)

EDIT: also, none of that stopped me from buying JSR again on Vita, because apparently I hate myself, or something. :facepalm:

26 minutes ago, Camel said:

No one under 35 knows about any of these series these days, and they're just alan_partridge_shrug.gif to anyone else.

How do you explain the success of Streets of Rage 4 then?

SEGA have been very savvy recently with their back catalogue- treating them as linceses for others to work out the budget/risk/reward as appropriate and not afraid to work with indie devs.

1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

How do you explain the success of Streets of Rage 4 then?

My whole post was about how they struggle to sell Dreamcast and Saturn nostalgia because not enough people owned those platforms for there to be a modern audience for it. Streets of Rage was a Mega Drive franchise, and the Mega Drive is basically the last Sega console to have actually sort of mass market recognition, it being successful is entirely consistent with what I laid out.

(I apparently "didn't mention" Sonic either, despite me literally highlighting that the Sonic franchise is the one consistent success they've had in that original post, and it also getting it's start on the Mega Drive)

Streets of Rage 4 was a modest hit with a modest budget that suited a relatively niche product catering for a fairly niche audience. They've got Fortnite/Apex/Warzone dollar signs in their eyes for these new projects apparently so I'm not sure a project like SoR4 is really comparable to start with.

Yeah, that's the other thing, these were massive AAA hits in their day, going to small fan-projects with barely any budget is an admission that the audience for these is niche nowadays whichever way you slice it.

Like the equivalent would be I dunno, if Resident Evil or Gran Turismo stopped getting AAA games ten years ago, moved to smaller downloadable games and then into increasingly small indies and fan-projects due to lack of demand. If you were a nostalgiacel desperate for anything with the name of the franchise on it, that you're still getting something would be welcome, I guess, but that path is not actually what anyone would call a franchise in a strong position, is it?

Yeah @Harsin@RubberJohnny - I agree that these rumours on Crazy Taxi/JSR is a different and wholly unrealistic proposition. Not one I see paying dividends.

But there is space for the nostalgic properties to come back in the way I've outlined. Streets of Rage 4 sold around 2.5 million - I haven't checked but I bet it's the best selling in the series - and made the most money. The market has grown massively in the last 20 years so serving this interest in relatively niche way is absolutely worthwhile even if they were relatively larger games in a historical context.

JSR/Fortnite could be cool. Tag as many sites as you can, tag over other players tags all as the police presence slowly close in around you, first the beat cops, then the cars, then the vans, the dogs and finally the gunships. If they make city fun enough with ample opportunity for creative for traversal, it could be incredible.

EDIT: Couldn't you also tag rivals' backs and eliminate them?

Sega absolutely should be doing stuff like SoR 4 and Sonic Mania regularly. They might have gotten some attention initially because of nostalgia but they only sold as well as they did because they were good games. 

This recent news/rumour about their Super Games is just grim. When they first started talking about it I, and I think a lot of other people, thought they were looking at the success Capcom was having with the radical idea of making really good games that could sell well for years after release. Chasing after Fortnite seems daft and way more likely to fail. 

For me the idea of an online JSR just isn't that appealing because I have Splatoon now. JSR was a series I loved far more for tapping into  a certain kind of Japanese streetwear, visual design and music more than its gameplay, and Splatoon shares many of those traits in a world I find more endearing and creatively flexible, with an amount of game design polish that I'm not sure Sega can currently match.

I think they'd be far better off letting a team make something new.

22 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Can't agree with this. The past couple of years we've had Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4 and Shenmue III. Each of these completely unimaginable to exist in the manner they do.

I'm okay with accepting a few Banana Mania and Sonic Frontiers in the mix.

I'm not slighting Sega as a business. I fully expect them to go where the money is. But there are a lot of people who have a mental list of IPs and series' in their heads that Sega are just sitting on, and they know that there is very little chance of them coming back as they won't be financially viable.

I give them credit for not cocking up the amazing Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku series over its super-long run. Streets of Rage 4 was indeed an immense game (I bought it on both PS4 and Switch and it's one of my most-played games of the last few years without doubt) but all they did was allow somebody else to produce the goods. I'm perfectly fine with that sort of thing happening if it means we get more classic franchises back in circulation

So yeah, they have certainly done some good things, but I'm just too wary of fan-favourite franchises coming back until I know for sure that it isn't a freemium, F2P, or mobile game. Look at Shining Force: a new game finally announced and it was a mobile thing...then it got cancelled anyway.

Could be worse though: could be Konami.

On 19/04/2022 at 17:15, megamixer said:

I never get excited about Sega anymore.

This was defintely me five years ago, but since then we've had a ton of outstanding Yakuza games, Shenmue I & II HD, Shenmue III, Streets of Rage 4, the Judgment games, the Mega Drive and Astro City mini consoles with a bunch of excellent peripherals, Virtua Fighter Final Showdown, even Sonic has been well represented with Mania (lets forget about Forces 🥴) this upcoming collection and Sonic Frontiers that looks like it might actually be decent. I haven't played the House of the Dead or Panzer Dragoon remakes but they look good for what they are. Also there's 2 against all odds decent Sonic movies, a Streets of Rage one on the way and a rather good Shenmue animated series.

They are definetely mining the well far more than they did in the last 10 years. Definetely a better time to be a Sega fan than Konami or Namco at this point.

It would be nice anyway, to expand a remake beyond being just an Arcade Port. 

That's why the Dreamcast was such a good/bad games console depending on the outlook.

A lot of conversions were literally just the Arcade version with minor additions.

Lovely if you liked "Arcade Perfect" ports, but crippled by longevity.

So yes I would welcome a full fat mission based ( open world?? )  Crazy Taxi. 

As for Jet Set Radio, that was/is great as it stands.  I'm not sure how that could be bettered?

unless it just becomes  "  Jet Set Sunset Overdrive "

Open world Crazy Taxi, sponsored by Uber:

Drop off passengers to earn Crazy Bucks - spend them on upgrades, like an improved Sat-nav, or choose to feed your family

Drive fast to keep the passengers happy! Don’t lose your 5-star rating! (Get a 1-star rating and you’ll be banned from the platform for life)

Perform Crazy Take-downs to capture Taxi Ranks around the world, and open new areas to discover

Day/night system with risk/reward structure - more jobs at night, but the passengers are drunk and violent (optional fighting mini-game)

2 new radio tracks! LBC or Five Live Extra

Hey hey hey! Let’s go make some modest money!

7 hours ago, Quest said:

For me the idea of an online JSR just isn't that appealing because I have Splatoon now. JSR was a series I loved far more for tapping into  a certain kind of Japanese streetwear, visual design and music more than its gameplay, and Splatoon shares many of those traits in a world I find more endearing and creatively flexible, with an amount of game design polish that I'm not sure Sega can currently match.

I think they'd be far better off letting a team make something new.

Whenever there is a rumour of a company reviving an IP that has been dormant for years I can't help but wonder what came first, the idea for the game or the idea to revive an IP? Perfect Dark is the big one for me, I'd love to know if a reboot was always the plan or if someone higher up at Microsoft looked at what The Initative were making and said that it'd work as a Perfect Dark game, something they already own the rights to. Were Sega prototyping something original that just happened to fit the Crazy Taxi and JSR names or has the process been driven by the desire to bring back the brand? The people who have nostalgia for the brands also seem like the people most likely to reject the business models the games are supposedly going to be built around. 

Given the amount of unique IPs/characters they have (and the fact they already had a stab at racing and tennis,) I'm amazed Sega haven't tried to do their own Smash Bros style game yet. 

Heck Microsoft should offer to co- develop it since Nintendo didn't care to include anything of theirs (outside Minecraft) in Smash. 

.. Plus it's the perfect genre for adding any number of pop culture characters too.