IGNORED

Sonic Origins - Old School Sonic in Widescreen - June 23rd 2022 - All Platforms

Down by Law

4 hours ago, Quest said:

I kept hearing that Generations was among the best of the post-Mega Drive Sonic games, so I played it earlier in the year and it was a miserable experience. I genuinely have no idea which bits were meant to be good.

The classic Sonic bits up until Classic Sonic became exactly the same as Modern Sonic. So half of the first third of the game.

Even the classic Sonic bits were crap, with floaty/imprecise jumping and inertia.

Anyway, I think it’s about time these remasters weren’t just stuck on phones, and it’s good to see S3&K getting the treatment it deserves too. Will be looking forward to playing through them again. 

Are we going to get that amazing CRT shader that they used for Sonic Mania? That, and these running natively (i.e. NOT emu/rom dumps), are the deal makers/breakers for me, considering I'm lucky enough to be able to run these through a near-peerless retro setup.

I think these are going to be proper redone versions. Widescreen Sonic 1 & 2 have been on phones for a few years, and Headcannon has worked on doing the same for Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Despite my moaning earlier I'm definitely buying this - already clear a lot of care and attention has been put into this. Plus, I want a Sonic Mania 2 and lots of the same teams are involved in this.

3 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

This seems like a nicely put together compilation, just too pricey.

Yeah that’s where I’m at too.

Will happily add to my eshop wishlist and pick up when it’s in a sale. 

On 20/04/2022 at 12:28, Doctor Shark said:

Sonic Mania was like a fan fiction what if remix of some original sonic levels and some new shit. It was very popular, but I bloody hated it. 

It’s the greatest Sonic game ever made…..and I spent 80 hours on Sonic 2006 because I really like bad Sonic games.

Damn heroes was good. Wish that was included.

There is something just spectacularly Sega-ish about all this. They announced that they are going to give the people what they want with high quality ports of the classics and then manage to mess up any buzz that generated by trying to squeeze an extra couple of quid out of people for bonus tat. Idiots. 

It's something I'll inevitably end up getting at some point as I'll admit to being a sucker for these games but I'm not sure it's an automatic day one purchase now. 

I'm waiting for a physical version, got burned by Mania and SoR4 and had to double dip. As I've played these games before there's no fomo. Hopefully there's a nice edition with the soundtrack eventually like Amazon JP got for Mania Plus. 

11 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

They need to just redo Sonic Jam, no Sonic comp has touched the love that went into that. They even gave each game a tweak, giving them a normal and easy mode beside the original modes. 

Still the best attempt at Sonic in 3D, too. 

55 minutes ago, Popo said:

Still the best attempt at Sonic in 3D, too. 

I’m a big fan of both Sonic Adventure games. Sonic Team just got bled dry of talent after the DC’s death but a lot of what they achieved with Sonic World is visible in the adventure games. But no one’s nailed how to make Sonic’s speed as satisfying in three dimensions as it is in two.  Traditional Sonic is always going to fit better in 2D which makes sense as it’s what the series was designed for. I do think a slower paced Sonic game works well if people accept that they are going to be playing a completely different blue hedgehog. Adventure worked (IMO) but a Sonic games in their teadimal sense should be 2D and I’m still waiting for Sonic Mania 2. 

19 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

They need to just redo Sonic Jam, no Sonic comp has touched the love that went into that. They even gave each game a tweak, giving them a normal and easy mode beside the original modes. 

u mad bro?

Seriously though, Sonic Jam was just a few Mega Drive ROMs with a Game Genie code to add a couple of extra bits. Not sure what’s so great about that. These have been built from the ground up in a new engine.

Although it is pretty expensive, especially considering 1, 2 and CD have previously been released on mobile for a few quid each, there’s no denying it’s a lovingly-crafted compilation. Plus the extra modes and missions/challenges look like they’ll add plenty more replay value.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Seriously though, Sonic Jam was just a few Mega Drive ROMs

Nope!

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Jam

Unlike later compilations, Sonic Jam does not emulate Mega Drive hardware - the games have been re-written for the Saturn, though behave almost identically to their original counterparts. It is especially beneficial to PAL users, as the games have been optimised for 50Hz refresh rates (the original PAL versions perform 17.5% slower than their NTSC counterparts and contain borders, as little optimisation work was done between the two versions).

13 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Nope!

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Jam

Unlike later compilations, Sonic Jam does not emulate Mega Drive hardware - the games have been re-written for the Saturn, though behave almost identically to their original counterparts. It is especially beneficial to PAL users, as the games have been optimised for 50Hz refresh rates (the original PAL versions perform 17.5% slower than their NTSC counterparts and contain borders, as little optimisation work was done between the two versions).

Interesting! I stand corrected.

But still, how is that any better than what we have in this new compilation?

14 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I don't think it is - but at the time (and for a very long time forward) these have been the best versions of these titles. I think this compilation is finally going to supersede it (although there is talk that Sonic 3 + Knuckles can't be played separately in Sonic Origins so purists are still going to go back to the originals)

26 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Interesting!

In Jam you could dock any of the Sonic carts into S&K, as you could with real hardware, to play as Knuckles in Sonic 2, or more blue sphere special stages than you could ever possibly want, in the case of Sonic 1; you then have the option to play Sonic 3 stand-alone, S&K stand-alone, or docked as the complete package where you play both games back to back. As this has never been the case in any other compilation that I’m aware of, it seems unlikely that it’ll be the case this time either. 

Most likely it’s just Sonic 3 & Knuckles that’ll be given the special treatment, with a menu option letting you decide how you want to play. 

It remains to be seen what the equivalent will be in the new collection, but given that it’s not emulated, it certainly has all the potential to be the best one since Jam; and whether you actually value the above features is a matter of opinion, of course, especially given the inclusion of widescreen support in the new one, which is great. 

I guess the real test will be - does it have the spinning barrel of doom in Sonic 3 or not?

Edit - it also bears repeating how much affection I have for the 3D Sonic World section of Sonic Jam. I’m sure it hasn’t aged well, but it’s hard to deny that it’s creation and inclusion represents the most loving treatment Sega gave any of their compilations. 

36 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

(the original PAL versions perform 17.5% slower than their NTSC counterparts and contain borders, as little optimisation work was done between the two versions).

16.666...%. 17.5% is how much VAT was before the Tories got elected.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

In Jam you could dock any of the Sonic carts into S&K, as you could with real hardware, to play as Knuckles in Sonic 2, or more blue sphere special stages than you could ever possibly want, in the case of Sonic 1; you then have the option to play Sonic 3 stand-alone, S&K stand-alone, or docked as the complete package where you play both games back to back. As this has never been the case in any other compilation that I’m aware of, it seems unlikely that it’ll be the case this time either. 

There’s a clip of Sonic 1 being played with Knuckles (with an option for Tails), and obviously Knuckles was always playable in the updated version of Sonic 2, so it looks like they’ve gone above and beyond the standard lock-on features for the new versions. You could definitely use lock-on in Sonic Mega Collection (or play them separately), and even the standalone Xbox 360 releases if you owned them all.

I do wonder if the new S3&K can be played separately, it wouldn’t be a big deal but there are obviously a couple of bosses that wouldn’t appear, unless they’re in the boss rush mode perhaps.

11 hours ago, Paulando said:

I do wonder if the new S3&K can be played separately, it wouldn’t be a big deal but there are obviously a couple of bosses that wouldn’t appear, unless they’re in the boss rush mode perhaps.

I hope so. The Sonic 3 Complete ROM hack lets you play the missing Launch Base Zone boss instead of skipping it. Actually, there are so many cool features of Sonic 3 Complete that it will be a hell of thing if Sonic Origins matches it!

I must have a dozen different versions of the originals throughout the years.

For me the real value that catches my eye is the bonuses that're locked away. Because it's a cheap DLC too - gives the impression that there's not much to it.

They've kind of unsold themselves, greed has just done nothing but made the product less appetising as a whole.

Even ignoring my hatred for this style of nickel and diming, separating the extras has taken away the Illusion that this is a definitive edition and instead shows it to be what it is; some nice little additions.

Would have been more sold if they just had the top tier version.

• 1 month later...