Jump to content

Record Store Day 2022 - 23rd April


Qazimod
 Share

Recommended Posts

There’s absolutely nothing that interests me this year, and judging by how quickly previous years’ releases end up in Rough Trade’s discount section, not much of it is of much interest to anyone any more.

 

I can see the whole event being wound up soon, there’s a shortage of pressing plants making a backlog for the records that people do want to buy, without clogging them up churning out overpriced landfill picture discs and reissues. Surely it’s mission accomplished anyway - record stores and sales are in rude health compared to twenty years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s just an event for scalpers these days and needs putting out of its misery. Some record shops have even said it’s become counter productive. 
 

My main problem with it is that it has massively contributed to huge backlogs at pressing plants so smaller artists can’t press vinyl because they’re jammed up making coloured vinyl Deacon Blue reissues and yet another Bowie cash cow picture disc that will likely only ever be traded but never actually played. 
 

Do “real vinyl fans” need a special day anymore when record shops are open all year round?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I mean if I wasn't self-isolating then maybe Handsome Boy Modeling School... but yeah.

I looked at that one, also the Everlast album. They're both almost 40 quid! I might be interested in Hefner as that's normally priced, but I'm not making a special trip. I bet there are people queueing up now, not going to look for the photos on Twitter because it would be too depressing.

 

Er, happy record store day everybody! I hope Vinyl Santa brings everything you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was actually in a proper record shop on Record Store Day, namely Red House Records in Swindon. Having said that there was no action, didn't see anything worth the bother, in fact I was more interested in the second-hand games at the back. 

 

Thinking about it this was the first time I'd been in a record shop that sold new records in years, and it wasn't that inspiring largely because "cheap" vinyl is £18, average price was £25-35. It wasn't the fun quick-flick-and-bag-an-interesting-looking-album-for-a-tenner like it was in the 2000s. So much has changed since I started buying vinyl again. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vimster said:

It wasn't the fun quick-flick-and-bag-an-interesting-looking-album-for-a-tenner like it was in the 2000s. So much has changed since I started buying vinyl again. 


I was in my local on RSD, and ended up buying seven used CDs for the price of one new vinyl RSD release.

 

CDs are where it’s at if you used to like digging for cheap vinyl in the 90s/00s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Vimster said:

I was actually in a proper record shop on Record Store Day, namely Red House Records in Swindon. Having said that there was no action, didn't see anything worth the bother, in fact I was more interested in the second-hand games at the back. 

 

Thinking about it this was the first time I'd been in a record shop that sold new records in years, and it wasn't that inspiring largely because "cheap" vinyl is £18, average price was £25-35. It wasn't the fun quick-flick-and-bag-an-interesting-looking-album-for-a-tenner like it was in the 2000s. So much has changed since I started buying vinyl again. 

 

 


Records are definitely a luxury item now. Back when I started buying about 2010 new records used to cost a tenner and enjoyed finding obscure artists and picking them up on the strength of the vibe I got from just holding the record. Discovered so much that way. Now you really have to know that you love an album before picking up the record. 
 

On the other hand the quality control of new presses have definitely improved since then. Back when I started buying records I’d come across issues such as those caused by the record being sleeved while still hot, as well as bumps on the surface, warps and substandard sound quality. And neither were these problems infrequent. Haven’t had a problem with a new record in years.
 

The prices of records have got me buying more cassettes. Modern cassettes sound great, they are very cheap, between £5-£10, and lots of independent artists have been putting out their music on the format as vinyl has become harder and more expensive to put music out on. Might start a thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the vinyl I've bought in the last 18 months since buying a new record deck has been stuff I know already, and I wouldn't spend £20+ on a vinyl album now without listening to it on Spotify or wherever first. As you say there was a time when you'd buy stuff on spec because the cover looked good, or you'd been told this artist was great, and hey it was £8.99. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a look in the list linked above and there was a Bobbie Humphrey 12” I would have been interested in, but the list didn’t give a y indication of price or how you actually buy it. Are you supposed to go to a shop on the off chance they have it? I’ve never been involved so I don’t know what goes on.

 

Thinking about it I was at the Rovers on Saturday so I wouldn’t have gone anyway. Can you buy this stuff online?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I had a look in the list linked above and there was a Bobbie Humphrey 12” I would have been interested in, but the list didn’t give a y indication of price or how you actually buy it. Are you supposed to go to a shop on the off chance they have it? I’ve never been involved so I don’t know what goes on.

 

Thinking about it I was at the Rovers on Saturday so I wouldn’t have gone anyway. Can you buy this stuff online?


This Friday the remaining stock will be available to buy online.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mr Do 71 said:


This Friday the remaining stock will be available to buy online.


Ah sweet - is it specific shops or will it all be on Juno, say?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:


All record shops who have their own website.

@ZOK All independent record shops with a physical store who have their own website. The RSD bureaucrats seem to be quite strict about this kind of thing, I know Norman Records made a fuss about getting offered some unsold dregs a few weeks after everybody else has picked at the bones. You might want to check the Twitter feeds of a few shops near you, I've just checked my local shops and it looks like they sold out of Bobbi Humphrey quite early on the Saturday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, mr twig said:

@ZOK All independent record shops with a physical store who have their own website. The RSD bureaucrats seem to be quite strict about this kind of thing, I know Norman Records made a fuss about getting offered some unsold dregs a few weeks after everybody else has picked at the bones. You might want to check the Twitter feeds of a few shops near you, I've just checked my local shops and it looks like they sold out of Bobbi Humphrey quite early on the Saturday!


Ah I see - I’ll have a look, cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A heads up for anyone who is interested and couldn't get to a record shop over the last week, the remaining RSD stock goes on sale online at most stores at 8pm tonight.

There seems to be a reasonable amount of stuff left in stock which would indicate that it's either been less successful this year or the "limited editions" are much less limited than previous years.

 

If you haven't already looked, brace yourself for the pricing. Ouch.

Some of the worst examples include £16 for a 7" single, £20+ for 12"s, £32 for single disc LPs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to my local record store last Tuesday to see what they had left. I went home with:

- Both Bill Evans concerts 

- Chet Baker Trio Live in Paris 

- Art Pepper meets the rhythm section 

- Patti Smith compilation 

- Lou Reed I'm so free 

 

It was great just being able to browse without having to queue or anything redicilous like that. And I hadn't had that feeling when I got home with my haul for a long time, these days I buy most of my records online. 

 

What's less great is the price. I'm used to buying expensive releases but this still hurt. Especially the Chet Baker is eye wateringly expensive. I love the album but it's definitely not worth that much (80 euro). Fomo hit me hard though, guess that's what they try to achieve with these limited releases. 

 

So yeah, happy/sad. Staying home next time probably :lol:

 

Edit: both Bill Evans's are amazing btw, his playing is excellent and he pressings are great. Also not cheap at 45 euro but if you like Bill Evans I'd definitely recommend picking them up if you see them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

There’s no doubt this is a wonderful bit of vinyl…

 

2EF8A963-2F90-442B-8337-45F45D22C978.thumb.jpeg.96702c49122c0ed0dedd2877e084905a.jpeg

 

…it has made me laugh though that my first ever bit of RSD wax is clearly a mispress. It’s marked as 33, and it plays at 45. :hmm:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

There’s no doubt this is a wonderful bit of vinyl…

 

2EF8A963-2F90-442B-8337-45F45D22C978.thumb.jpeg.96702c49122c0ed0dedd2877e084905a.jpeg

 

…it has made me laugh though that my first ever bit of RSD wax is clearly a mispress. It’s marked as 33, and it plays at 45. :hmm:

 

Most new vinyl doesn't bother to list speed or what side it is, seems too difficult to achieve as it would involve some sort of quality control 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, englishbob said:

 

Most new vinyl doesn't bother to list speed or what side it is, seems too difficult to achieve as it would involve some sort of quality control 


Is that right? I must admit I’ve only bought a few bits and pieces that are new - not come across this before, but it makes sense I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

I’m still happy to buy records but the way that RSD has evolved can piss right off. Queue up in the rain for the privilege of paying stupid money for albums I’ve got? No thanks.  

 

Whilst a few releases do become instantly collectible and manage to demand high resale prices, it’s amazing how many end up in the sales and bargain bin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RSD by rights should technically be a thing for anyone that wants to be mugged off on a regular basis

 

My problem with it is mostly the rest of the industries problem with it - it backs up all the pressing plants for a long time while they churn out this crap

 

I find RSD a bit absurd though the way it is managed - I did it one year and tried to get a Pink Floyd mono album - one shop didn't get any, another shop didn't order any. Fucking pointless exercise really - waited a week and bought it from Juno.

 

If I was allowed to pre-order/reserve something - might be a different story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.