Perfect pairs - which games really complement each other?

Hewson

I've been playing and loving Elden Ring solidly recently but there's no doubt it can get a bit relentless and grim. Normally I stick to one game at a time, but I picked up Switch Sports 'for the kids' this week and it struck me what a brilliant pair of games they are to play alternately. The simplicity and sunny vibe make it such a brilliant tonic for those moments when I'm stuck or frustrated in ER and I just need something to break it all up a bit.

So do you guys have similar pairs of games that work really well together?

Currently anything that’s serious and depressing is being mixed with OlliOlli World, which seems to be a lovely tonic for all the world’s ills at the moment.

My general rule is to switch between one "epic single-player timesink" and one "more immediate game that I can play forever". So the epic timesink is something like Elden Ring, Persona 5, Yakuza LaD; the more immediate game is your Tetris Effect, Outrun 2006, Street Fighter.

To answer the question, I think I was alternating Deltarune Chapter 2 and Rhythm Doctor last year - one is an engrossing story-led game I can sink into when I'm in the mood; the other is something more arcadey and fun to throw on when I just want to enjoy playing.

A bit like Qazimod, I normally have a “big game” and an “arcade” or more casual game on the go at once. Plus Animal Crossing of course.

Previous big games have been the likes of Pokémon, Assassins Creed and Yakuza, with others usually being Picross or old Mega Drive games or a 2D Metroidvania.

However, at the moment I’m juggling Animal Crossing, Atomicrops, Sega Picross, Reventure, Bloons TD6, Outer Wilds and the C64 Mini so it’s not going well right now.

Currently bouncing between a Cyberpunk 2077 replay, and Slay the Spire on PS5, from PS+. Nice contrasts in play and atmosphere.

Over the past few years, Splatoon 2 has been my in-fill game of choice.

4 hours ago, danbot said:

I'm rubbish at every part of life and this is no exception. I'm playing Cyberpunk and Control. 

I'm actually quite jealous of people who are able to do this. Especially with big, chunky control schemes my muscle memory nowadays makes it really hard for me to juggle two games like this