IGNORED

Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)

Benny

How should games be scored?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think you're mad for wishing this upon yourself again, but it's much appreciated. Drop me a PM if you want a hand with writing or anything.

I'll try and come up with a draft list later...

1. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

2. Bloodborne

3. Mass Effect 2

4. Alundra

5. Resident Evil 2 (2019 video game)

6. Super Mario Sunshine

7. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

8. Resident Evil 4

9. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

10. Elden Ring

11. Super Mario Odyssey

12. Persona 5

13. Metroid Prime

14. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

15. Final Fantasy IX

16. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

17. Resident Evil 2

18. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

19. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

20. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Edit no1: Forgot about Metroid Prime... 

And those who were so close:

Spoiler

Timesplitters 2
Super Meat Boy

Halo 3
Halo ODST

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Fallout 3

Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Super Mario 64

DMC

Resident Evil VII
Final Fantasy VII: Remake

Viewtiful Joe

Rainbow Six: Vegas

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Returnal

Donkey Kong Country

Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts

Contra

Guitar Hero 2

Ocean Hunter (Coin Op)

Tales of Symphonia

1.  Shenmue II

2. The Last of Us

3. Streets of Rage 2

4. Yakuza 0

5. Sonic & Knuckles

6. Streets of Rage 4

7. Powerslave

8. Max Payne 3

9. Resident Evil 2 (2019 video game)

10. Virtua Fighter 5

11. Silent Hill 2

12. The Revenge of Shinobi

13. Rocket Knight Adventures

14. OutRun 2

15. Metal Slug

16. Sega Rally

17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

18. Bloodborne

19. Yakuza: Like a Dragon

20. Cyberpunk 2077

Why Shenmue II is my number 1:

The genius of Shenmue II for me, is it perfectly encapsulates the "fish out of water/stranger in a strange land" feeling when you leave your comfortable home town for places unknown.

The first few hours are so bewildering and seem almost rapid fire, everything is new, nothing is familiar and danger is all around. Ryo is mugged not long after arriving, there's no friendly familiar faces, Hong Kong seems sprawling and impossibly large, especially so back in 2001. The whole tone has changed, the almost cozy wintery streets of the small town of Yokosuka replaced with the blinding sun of a labyrinth Hong Kong.

Even going to sleep in the come over guest house, you miss the coziness of the Hazuki homestead and the goofy friendship of Fuku-San. Theres no allowance from Ine-San either, and you gotta pay for your room now too. Life just got real.

As far as sequels and adventure games go no other game has replicated that feeling and that's why I think it's the absolute gold standard.

16 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I think you're mad for wishing this upon yourself again, but it's much appreciated.

This is why the entry rules are so specific. It means I can collate it easily with a script instead of laboriously adding to a spreadsheet, then I can just do the fun part of the results after.

Posted (edited)

Getting my front page post in now so everyone can see my amazing (awful) taste in games.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Super Mario World

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

4. Final Fantasy XI

5. Super Mario Kart

6. Mass Effect 2

7. Final Fantasy XIV

8. Doom (1993 video game)

9. Super Mario Bros 3

10. Portal 2

11. Tetris (Game Boy video game)

12. Half-Life 2

13. Star Wars: TIE Fighter

14. Halo: Combat Evolved

15. Super Monkey Ball (video game)

16. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec

17. SimCity 2000

18. Street Fighter II

19. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

20. Everybody's Golf 5

No doubt I'll be editing this up until the closing date!

Edited by layten

How will you handle games not on Wikipedia ?

Not sure how many there will be but I've kept my note from last time we did this and New Star Manager on the Switch doesn't have a wiki page, just the developer and other versions of the game.

Aw man, a couple of weeks isn't enough for me to write any detail. Particularly this month. So I guess I'll just be voting. Given that I genuinely fucking hated Disco Elysium you may think that's for the best. 

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

How will you handle games not on Wikipedia ?

Not sure how many there will be but I've kept my note from last time we did this and New Star Manager on the Switch doesn't have a wiki page, just the developer and other versions of the game.

Please read the rules as this is covered:

If no individual Wikipedia entry exists, use the closest full game title there is from looking it up.

2 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Aw man, a couple of weeks isn't enough for me to write any detail.

The deadline is of relative, rather than absolute importance.

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

2. Final Fantasy IX

3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

4. Chrono Trigger

5. Mass Effect 2

6. Dragon Quest XI

7. Fire Emblem Awakening

8. The Last of Us

9. Pokémon Red and Blue

10. Golden Sun

11. Shining Force 

12. Fable II

13. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 

14. Final Fantasy VII

15. Fallout 4

16. Stardew Valley

17. Kingdom Hearts

18. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

19. Suikoden

20. Dragon Age: Origins

EDIT: I have swapped pokemon yellow for the original blue / red games as they are pretty much the same and that appears to be the variant that everyone has gone with :) 

1. Elden Ring

2. After Burner: Climax

3. Star Wars: Squadrons

4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

5. The Last Guardian

6. Tetris Effect

7. Demon’s Souls

8. Superhot VR
9. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

10. Final Fantasy VII

11. Chaos: The Battle of Wizards

12. Soulcalibur

13. Wipeout HD

14. Bumpy

15. Lemmings

16. Bubble Bobble

17. No Man’s Sky
18. Um Jammer Lammy

19. Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe

20. Rez (video game)

Edit - finished the full list now, interesting that NMS has dropped way down my list after it has had so many updates - basically I feel like I have lost touch and don’t know it well anymore. Also I bumped off FFXI which was on my 2017 list, because when I read my text from last vote I had just as much negative stuff to say about it as positive. Also I have grudgingly swapped Elden Ring and Demon’s Souls positions - I was giving Demon’s extra kudos for it all being the first time as opposed to following a formula, plus I haven’t finished ER yet. Last night’s session on ER was a wake up call though. It’s surely going to end up as my favourite.

Are there any restrictions on nominating multi-game compilations? (e.g. The Orange Box; Halo: The Master Chief Collection; Mass Effect Legendary Edition; Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2)

Also, how are you going to handle games with multiple revisions? e.g. if one person votes for Street Fighter IV, another for Super SFIV Arcade Edition, and another for Ultra Street Fighter IV, would those be counted as votes for three separate games (splitting the vote!), or would you combine them together?

(EDIT: Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening vs Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition is another good example of this!)

I assume we make one and only one results post, then edit that to update that single list before the close. Am I correct?

Edit: so Darwock would edit his post above to add four more games as he thinks of them.

A nice side effect of my rules is I'd forgotten Chaos actually had a subtitle and that Soulcalibur is all one word.

1 minute ago, smac said:

I assume we make one and only one results post, then edit that to update that single list before the close. Am I correct?

Correct

22 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Are there any restrictions on nominating multi-game compilations? (e.g. The Orange Box; Halo: The Master Chief Collection; Mass Effect Legendary Edition; Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2)

Compilations are forbidden. They contain multiple games and this is one vote per game. If you can't pick out of a trilogy or whatever then you'll just have to go with your gut.

Also, how are you going to handle games with multiple revisions? e.g. if one person votes for Street Fighter IV, another for Super SFIV Arcade Edition, and another for Ultra Street Fighter IV, would those be counted as votes for three separate games (splitting the vote!), or would you combine them together?

(EDIT: Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening vs Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition is another good example of this!)

Unique names will count as their own separate vote, so if you all vote for different versions of SF4 then it will mean the vote is split. I advise you all pick the original entry in an update series.

Wipeout Omega Collection is technically a compilation, but the reason I put that and not Wipeout HD is because of the VR mode, which was new to the compilation version. Seems tricksy. Reading the above clarification again, seems like I should just vote for Wipeout? But that’s not really right as I didn’t play the original at all.

1. Rez (video game)

2. Deus Ex (video game)

3. Halo: Combat Evolved

4. Day of the Tentacle

5. Rock Band 3

6. Shenmue II 

7. Gone Home

8. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

9. Thief: The Dark Project

10. Persona 4

11. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

12. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Trials and Tribulations

13. Valkyria Chronicles (video game)

14. Fallout 2 

15. Portal (video game)

16. Planescape: Torment

17. System Shock 2

18. Elden Ring

19. Little Big Adventure 2

20. Full Throttle (1995 video game)

Votes plus comments:

Spoiler

1. Rez (video game)

As someone who loves story-based games, games which offer me deep characterisation, choices and consequences, deep contemplation of heavy subjects, it's no surprise that my number 1 game of all time is... Rez?

Rez is a highly constrained, focussed work of videoaural delight. No game more easily puts me in the zone, giving me an almost meditative experience without the need for drugs, offering me ultimate immersion without the need for VR. That said — add those two to Rez and, well, you've got quite the thing.

Rez is the ultimate album game; 40 minutes from start to finish, I've completed it countless times over the decades, and I hope to return to it consistently for the rest of my life. A delight.

2. Deus Ex (video game)

It may be all 1990s conspiracy theories and sunglasses at midnight, but for all its tropes Deus Ex remains a masterpiece. Over two decades on, this still better shows off the potential that games have to meld story and gameplay, to offer freedom of choice in mechanical as well as narrative terms, and to imbue the player's actions (and inaction) with consequence, than just about any other game out there.

Deus Ex is a game which rewards exploration with more than just perks or 'achievements', a game which respects the player enough to allow them freedom of action, does its best not to restrict their choices in service to a 'cinematic experience'. The graphics are shonky, the voice acting off kilter, but by allowing the player to express themselves, mechanically and narratively, Deus Ex continues to be a delight.

There's no other game quite like it: the sequels sought to control things too much, reduced the game down to something more manageable, less interesting, and nobody else seemed to want to make the effort to make such a complex, cross-genre game. So it goes.

3. Halo: Combat Evolved

Still the best pure shooter ever made. Still the most satisfying enemy AI in an action game. Still the most enjoyable local multiplayer FPS.

Halo was a revelation at release - Goldeney had shown that console FPS's were viable; Halo showed that they could be incredible. Enjoyable on Normal, the game opened up into something altogether more satisfying on Heroic, and Legendary formed the basis for the greatest co-op adventure ever played. The enemy AI, though essentially simple, has yet to be bettered (in combination with the levels, carefully designed around it) in allowing you to enjoy dynamic battles that are not only different every time, but feel like you could honestly be playing against human opponents - opponents who work together, panic, can predict your actions, be tricked, lose track of you, and generally make all of the mistakes, and all of the brilliant leaps of logic, that a human would.

4. Day of the Tentacle

The absolute best adventure game ever made. Bar none. Day of the Tentacle manages that incredibly rare combination: it manages to be both brilliantly written, and filled with mind-bending but fair puzzles.

The characters are pitch-perfect; the comedy always hits its mark; the graphics haven't aged a day - a genuinely astonishing feat for a game now going on thirty years old; the voice-acting puts most modern games to shame (did I mention the game is approaching its third decade?); the time-bending, character-swapping puzzles have yet to be bested. I only wish that Day of the Tentacle - a sequel itself - had received a follow-up. How I yearn to explore maniac mansion on a new adventure one more time!

5. Rock Band 3

The ultimate party game. There's really not much else to say. Just brilliant with large groups, with players passing the mic/guitar/drums/keyboard in a constant flow of merriment and noise, perfect to dip into and out of for as long as you liked, allowing for casual conversation and serious gaming as the audience wants. Ideal.

6. Shenmue II

Ah, man, a game filled with regret over things that will never be. For most it's the lack of closure, the fact that we never got to find out the full story behind Lan Di, never got to avenge Ryo's father, never managed to get Ryo to realise just how deep in the closet he was. But for me, that was a sideshow: the story was pretty generic, if well told, but what made Shenmue II (and its predecessor) so special were the incredible worlds they built to explore; towns that were alive in ways that no open-world games since have even begun to approach; small and deep, rather than the wide and shallow template that all others have followed.

In this respect, despite the massive differences in genre and ambitions, the Shenmues most remind me of the original Deus Ex - both filled with landscapes that feel real, and where your actions feel accordingly real too: no cartoonish crime sprees, no acts of unbelievable violence, rather these are worlds where you find yourself roleplaying an actual character - partly through built in limitations (there's a reason you aren't given the option to start fights as Ryo), and partly through the coercion of the world around you.

I doubt I'll ever explore a virtual townscape as well realised as the Shenmues' Yokosuka or Hong Kong, and that's a crying shame. But at least, when the urge takes me, I can go back to my Dreamcast and explore them once again.

7. Gone Home

I can't express how deeply this game made me feel, and certainly not without spoiling it for anyone who has yet to play it. So I won't even try. Simply the best walking sim yet made, with the most appropriate use of that genre's mechanics, most focussed application of its narrative possibilities, and most affecting of narratives.

8. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Pillars of Eternity was a great throwback to the late '90s CRPG. Pillars of Eternity 2 is, by contrast, a masterwork of the genre.

For all the games that have tried to tackle complex, 'dark' subjects, none have come close to Pillars of Eternity 2's handling of colonialism, touching on themes of racism, slavery, civilisation, imperialism and class, all while somehow managing to be an enjoyable RPG at the same time. I remain incredulous that such a feat was achieved.

9. Thief: The Dark Project

The greatest stealth game ever made.

I'm not sure what else to say.

Okay, I guess I'll give it a go.

Incredible, expansive, believable level design. A game where sound matters as sight. A stealth game that believes in letting the player choose their approach. A game whose difficulty settings don't just make guards 'cleverer', but rather changes your objectives - at the highest levels not allowing you to kill while also forcing you to go out of your way to clear every level of virtually all its valuables.

Many would pick Thief II over its predecessor, and it's easy to understand why: it's a more balanced game, with fewer 'unfun' enemies; fewer unpleasant difficulty spikes caused by inhuman logic or wildly esoteric levels. But at the same time, the heavier gothic horror overtures of The Dark Project give it a more memorable feel, a maddening, oppressive atmosphere that lets it linger more in the player's memory. The friction and fiction of the original remain peerless in its series, and so it makes my list ahead of its sequel. Just.

10. Persona 4

The little* JRPG that could. A genre I thought I would never truly love — some games had come close (Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star, Lost Odyssey) but even the best writing, most enjoyable stories, most enticing worlds to explore were ruined by the random battles, the grinding seemingly essential to the genre.

And then Persona 4: Golden appears, and blows those issues out of the water. Instead of grinding mindlessly between dungeons, here you get to drive your character's social life, affecting both their home life and their performance in battle as their social ties influence their world. Here we have a story that isn't about saving the world, or uncovering conspiracies, or other Big Significant Events, but instead about protecting a small town from a murderer, while helping your friends to get over their personal demons. And let's focus on that last part a little more: here's a game whose main moral message isn't that Might Makes Right, or that Tyrants Must Fall, or any variants on the typical Hero Saves The World fare, but rather that nobody is perfect, and that acknowledging the parts of ourselves that we don't like and learning to work with them is crucial to help us move on and improve as people. When was the last time you played a game that tried to touch on a theme like that?

Just an incredibly impressive game. The yellow colour scheme and snazzy music are pretty neat too.

*not so little

11 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Wipeout Omega Collection is technically a compilation, but the reason I put that and not Wipeout HD is because of the VR mode, which was new to the compilation version. Seems tricksy. Reading the above clarification again, seems like I should just vote for Wipeout? But that’s not really right as I didn’t play the original at all.

Please just vote for Wipeout HD, as the mention of Omega Collection being the best version to play would come up in the write-up and possibly be listed as that at my discretion in the results if it features. I just need consistent data from this stage and votes to not get split with ambiguity.

1. Final Fantasy VII

2. Metal Gear Solid

3. Super Mario Galaxy

4. Halo: Combat Evolved

5. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

6. Super Metroid

7. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

8. Pro Evolution Soccer 5

9. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

10. Super Mario World

11. Project Gotham Racing 4

12. Red Dead Redemption 2

13. Metroid Prime

14. Burnout 3: Takedown

15. Street Fighter 2

16. Championship Manager: Season 97/98

17. Tetris

18. The Last of Us

19. Fantasy World Dizzy

20. Outrun 2

I will probably change this. I find it funny my favourite game is a JRPG and I can't stand that genre now. I'm also finding it tough to include a Resi game even though I love the series and they are the only games I return to often. 

Just now, MW_Jimmy said:

@Benny

What about half sequels? ie: Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP and the various console versions

I just went for Outrun 2 to avoid any confusion.

1 minute ago, MW_Jimmy said:

@Benny

What about half sequels? ie: Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP and the various console versions

You're going to have to police yourselves to not split votes. Do what Ry did.

Unique names will count as their own separate vote, so if you all vote for different versions of Street Fighter IV then it will mean the vote is split. I advise you pick the ORIGINAL entry in a series if there are multiple updates etc, but not fully fledged sequels. The versions discussion can come later. So for Street Fighter IV, just pick Street Fighter IV. Don't pick Wipeout Omega Collection, pick Wipeout HD. I will work the rest out later.

I've added some new clarifications to the rules now. That should be enough I think.

1. Persona 4

2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

3. Mega Man X

4. Mass Effect 2

5. Project Gotham Racing 2

6. Super Mario World

7. Pokemon Red and Blue

8. Persona 5: Royal

9. Yakuza 0

10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

11. Animal Crossing (Gamecube)

12. Street Fighter IV

13. F-Zero X

14. Halo 2

15. Apex Legends

16. Tetris

17. Perfect Dark

18. Super Mario Odyysey

19. Banjo-Kazooie

20. Guitar Hero 2

Ah, run in the year I was absent from the forum. Hopefully this year's results will show marked improvement thanks to my involvement ;)

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)
  • BadgerFarmer pinned this topic
  • BadgerFarmer unpinned this topic