IGNORED

Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)

Benny

How should games be scored?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Benny said:

By the way, if anyone is worried they voted for some obscure crap that only they voted for and think it was a wasted vote, don't worry, I have plans for some of you.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo is not obscure crap.

:mad:

I'm actually astonished that nobody else has voted for any of the Thief games.* Clearly that series is now relegated to 'obscure crap' status, which is a bit of a shame** given they're still the best sneak-em-ups around.***

* except for Thief 4

** except for Thief 4

*** except for Thief 4

5 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Dread to think what complex instructions would look like.

Paste the exact game titles from the Wikipedia entries for every game is quite complex instructions to be fair.

If you know what the problem games are, is there a reason you can't let the thread know to give everyone a chance to sort them out? 

Yes, simply because if I reveal what they are, people will then know certain games that are likely to be in the top 100 now.

If anyone is concerned, simply check your entry for errors, and update it, linking to your post, without saying what you changed. Or preferably PM me instead to preserve the mystery, saying what you updated.

Also, there are enough errors that finding them all and listing them would be quite a bit of effort on my part, which I'm not in the mood for with only having the use of one hand.

And because the errors are because people didn't copy from Wikipedia as instructed, it was their responsibility to check. I gave endless repeated warnings, and people took the piss, so I feel like having a booby prize category now anyway. :lol:

Also, the side effect is I'll probably end up mentioning more games, when it gets to awarding those games their prize and showing what they could have won.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

And because the errors are because people didn't copy from Wikipedia as instructed, it was their responsibility to check. I gave endless repeated warnings, and people took the piss, so I feel like having a booby prize category now anyway. :lol:

I'd love to see an unedited ranking afterwards. Like, "Rez was three places higher than Rez Infinite but not as popular as Rez (video game)."

Can someone point out any obvious errors. Ta.

1. Manhunt (video game)

2. Bloodborne

3. Batman: Arkham Asylum

4. Freedom Fighters (video game)

5. Metroid Prime

6. Portal (video game)

7. Return of the Obra Dinn

8. Astro Bot Rescue Mission

9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

11. Demon's Souls

12. Halo: Combat Evolved

13. Cuphead

14. Tetris Effect

15. Dungeon Master (video game)

16. Resident Evil 4

17. Super Mario 64

18. Picross S

19. 1942 (video game)

20. Star Wars Battlefront (2015 video game)

Manhunt

One of those games that was divisive at the time but I played it to completion three times over and it left a lasting impression. Bags of atmosphere, stealth that worked and gunplay that rivaled anything in its day.

Bloodborne

The sort of game that stays with you in your dreams. An aesthetic like no other and lore that compelled you to play on. Better than Elden Ring, in my opinion (which hasn't made it into this list due to me only hitting the half way point).

Batman: Arkham Asylum

This came out of nowhere from a relatively unknown developer and has been influencing videogames ever since. The detective mode is basic by today's standards but it's been copied by everything from Horizon: Zero Dawn to Days Gone. The way areas unlocked was sublime and the combat remains magnificent. Collecting the Joker tapes became an addiction. I can't wait to replay this soon with the Remastered version.

Freedom Fighters

Another game I played three times over. Just when you felt things were becoming stale IO would ramp up the level design and add another layer of complexity. This needs a sequel, but I'd be happy with a remaster.

Metroid Prime

Another game that oozes atmosphere. I struggled with the last couple of bosses but it gave me that punching the air feeling that i've only experienced with the Dark Souls games.

Portal

The sequel may have more depth and complexity but this was the one that pulled at the heartstrings. A genuinely fresh take on the physics/puzzler. Plus that song.

Return of the Obra Dinn

Shows that new ideas are possible in this brilliant art form of ours. I was absorbed and impressed from the first moment to the last. Outstanding music too.

Astrobot Rescue Mission

The kind of game that makes you grin from ear to ear. Surprised it hasn't made more lists.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The type of game you don't complete, but experience over and over again. Remarkable that it still has a hold over people a decade after release. I'm looking forward to playing it on Switch sometime soon.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

It was a close call between this and Ocarina but while I feel Ocarina has more charm this undeniably has greater depth and breadth. I'm half a century old and getting a bit cynical but this took me right back to being a goggle-eyed, impressionable teenager.

Demon's Souls

Sacrilege but I prefer this to Dark Souls. Fantastic monster design, tough as nails and moody as hell. Became an obsession for a good three months.

Halo: Combat Evolved

I will put it bluntly: this shat on all other FPSs when released. So many good times were had.

Cuphead

I wasnt expecting much from this but I became so addicted it gave me RSI. Wonderful visuals married to an old school design mechanic that was right up my street.

Tetris Effect

Perhaps the purest form of videogame ever created, the VR version helped me through some tough times and is just a sublime and trippy celebration of Pajitnov's original.

Dungeon Master

For a D&D fan this was like going from soundless black and white to audio, colour and 3D in one giant leap. The puzzles were magnificent and it had better jump scares than any horror movie I'd ever seen. I reckon it would still hold up today.

Resident Evil 4

Beautifully constructed, atmospheric and easy on the eye. It was an absolute blast playing this again on Oculus Quest 2.

Super Mario 64

It remains my favourite Mario game. The exploration, the magic, the sense of wonder.

Picross S

Hours I've plunged into this series. Utterly absorbing.

I still play it today. More than nostalgia this is the ultimate 2D shooter with a charm and escalating level design that keeps me  coming back again and again.

Star Wars Battlefront

I had to include a multiplayer shooter and when I really think about it this is the one that I sunk most hours into. Those silly bottlenecks in the Death Star still make me chuckle.

An honourable mention must go to No Man's Sky, Inside and The Witness.

3 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

You've put Manhunt at number 1

Seriously tho, you've pointed out an error on mine, I've not put in Cuphead!

That's why I left my list so late. I'm bound to spot a game I forgot about. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I'd love to see an unedited ranking afterwards. Like, "Rez was three places higher than Rez Infinite but not as popular as Rez (video game)."

I wished I'd thought about it earlier, because I already managed to catch a few errors and correct them during collation, but issues have cropped up since then, now that I'm leaving it to voters to sort themselves out, so the booby prize list will be kind of appropriately incomplete anyway. :lol:

10 hours ago, Wiper said:

I'm actually astonished that nobody else has voted for any of the Thief games.* Clearly that series is now relegated to 'obscure crap' status, which is a bit of a shame** given they're still the best sneak-em-ups around.***

* except for Thief 4****

** except for Thief 4****

*** except for Thief 4****

**** Thief (2014 video game)

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Resident Evil 4

3. Halo: Combat Evolved

4. Super Mario 64

5. Star Fox 64

6. RollerCoaster Tycoon (video game)

7. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010 video game)

8. Grand Theft Auto V

9. Super Mario World

10. Mario Kart 8

11. Super Mario Odyssey

12. Advance Wars

13. Theme Hospital

14. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

15. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

16. Crackdown (video game)

17. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

18. Command & Conquer: Red Alert

19. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

20. Just Cause 3

Honourable Mentions:

The general Far Cry series. Similarly to Call of Duty, game series which are largely iterative can be hard done by lists like these. Far Cry 3 is probably my favourite but 2 had some excellent ideas and 4 and 5 refined the formula further. Hard to really pin point one of the series and say this is the one that deserves to be on the list. It was a toss up between Far Cry 3 and Just Cause 3 for the final entry as both are very much heart choices rather than head choices. 

Spider-Man (2018 video game)

F-Zero X

Burnout 2: Point of Impact

Goldeneye

Just Cause 2

Portal 

Control

General observations

Nothing too recent really. Not sure what this says about games today. I've really enjoyed a lot of more recent games but somehow whilst they are on the whole more competent in general they seldom reach the heights of the games on the list. I've tried to avoid pure nostalgia. All the games on the list I would happily play again in their original or where possible latest incarnation. Zelda OOT almost dropped off the list due to that requirement but the 3DS version really is quite wonderful. We've been blessed with modern remasters of a lot of the games on the list which is helpful and perhaps why things like Goldeneye, F-Zero X and Burnout 2 fail to make the grade (more thoughts below on this). 

Remasters: A good remaster definitely helps keep a good game in contention and the ability to easily replay it on modern formats. Out of the 20 games, 10 have had specific remasters released, we have Advance Wars on the way, and things like Super Mario 64, Nuts and Bolts, Just Cause 3, Crackdown have either all benefited from HD releases or simply that they can perform so much better on consoles like Series X than they managed on release. 

Games as services. I've put a lot of time into games like Rocket League, Call of Duty Warzone, PUBG, Fifa, Halo Infinite etc. but hard to really put them on the list. I have had amazing times with these games but only due to the multiplayer element which simply wanes over time. PUBG already seems a shadow of its formal self, it is hard to see anyone playing the current incarnation of Warzone or Halo Infinite in ten years and when Warzone in 2022 has completely different maps than when it was launched in 2020 is it still really the same game? PUBG in its hayday would easily make the list for me if I could play it as it was but would I boot it up now? Probably not. A well crafted single player game is largely timeless even if for classics such as Goldeneye a lack of a HD lick of paint and modern controls can still hold back even the finest retro games. 

Coming back to the age of the games on the list, perhaps this is simply because it takes a few years to really work out if a game is a flash in the plan or something you keep coming back to. I have had months dedicated to a single game and loved every moment but once I'm done I've never loaded up the game again whereas all of the list above I have definitely frequently revisited over the years. I had a month where I loved just mucking about in Just Cause 4 but even then I'd be hard pressed to say it was a great game. A fun game, a fun sandbox perhaps but the actual game itself was very run of the mill. And that's the other thing, broadly most of the games in the list are crafted experiences. For sand box style games it is hard to say itself if the game is itself great or if it has simply given me the tools to make my own fun. 

1. Elden Ring

2. Dark Souls

3. Minecraft

4. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!

5. Super Mario Bros. 3

6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

9. Elite (video game)

10. Super Metroid

11. Metroid Prime

12. Pikmin (video game)

13. EverQuest

14. Dragon Quest XI

15. Yakuza: Like a Dragon

16. Tetris

17. Fallout 3

18. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

19. Red Dead Redemption

20. Advance Wars

OK, had a crack at this, although I can't really meaningfully rank them against each other.  These are all games that have had a massive effect on me. They're all joint number #1 to me, probably weighted a bit towards how fresh in my mind they are.

Twenty isn't nearly enough either.  Couldn't fit in Animal Crossing, Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, Persona 5, Wind Waker, Ocarina of TIme, Portal, Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, and loads more.  Not many of the JRPGs I love quite make it to the list, as few of them stand out individually, even though I love the genre as a whole massively.   I've probably forgot loads of Spectum, NES and SNES games I loved at the time (oh crap, R-Type on PC Engine!).

Also, @Benny, could you possibly check I've got the names right for Dragon Quest XI and Wario Ware?  The Wario Ware one looks like a bit of a mouthful, even though its from the wiki page.  The DQXI wiki page title doesn't have the subtitle, but the first line of the entry does include the subtitle.  Wasn't sure which way to go.  Thanks.

1. Death Stranding
2. Dark Souls
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. The Last of Us
5. Half-Life 2
6. Subnautica
7. Red Dead Redemption 2
8. Inside (video game)
9. P.T. (video game)
10. Halo 3
11. Ico
12. The Last Guardian
13. The Last of Us Part II
14. Demon's Souls
15. Journey (2012 video game)
16. Destiny (video game)
17. PUBG: Battlegrounds
18. Satisfactory
19. Portal (video game)
20. Return of the Obra Dinn

Top 20 games that I instantly think of without dwelling on it too much. 

1. Bloodborne
2. Mass Effect 2
4. City of Heroes
5. Tetris
6. Super Mario Kart
7. Horizon Zero Dawn
8. Fallout 2 (1998)
9. Planescape: Torment
10. Kirby's Epic Yarn
11. It Takes Two (video game)
12. Laser Squad
13. Civilization IV
14. Street Fighter II
15. Dead Space
16. SimCity 2000
17. Excite Truck
18. Star Wars: TIE Fighter
19. Thunder Force III
20. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Rationale for a few:

Bloodborne is the greatest game of all time and it's not even close, it even makes Elden Ring look rubbish.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is the best game ever for playing with children. It's cute. It's fun. They can't die. They can't cause you to get stuck on the level causing endless frustration. It's perfect. Also the art style is the best, it's so far the only Kirby game I have ever enjoyed.

Laser Squad got picked ahead of XCom because it was amazing for it's time, far more so than XCom.

Excite Truck an outside pick but it was great. I love racing games where the terrain deforms and launches you into a massive jump while you're driving a truck and there's not many games that fit that category.

City of Heroes ahead of any other MMO because there was brief period where the balance was ridiculous. Some archetypes were godlike and others abysmal, everything was a confusing mess and it was amazing. My regular group had a tank called Mr Amazing, that's how amazing everything was. Amaze.

ET because it was the only online shooter I ever really got into. I loved it though, kill a dude. Knick his uniform, sneak in through the backdoor and blow up a base. Fantastic!

1 hour ago, Alask said:

Top 20 games that I instantly think of without dwelling on it too much. 

1. Bloodborne
2. Mass Effect 2
4. City of Heroes
5. Tetris
6. Super Mario Kart
7. Horizon Zero Dawn
8. Fallout 2 (1998)
9. Planescape: Torment
10. Kirby's Epic Yarn
11. It Takes Two (video game)
12. Laser Squad
13. Civilization IV
14. Street Fighter II
15. Dead Space
16. SimCity 2000
17. Excite Truck
18. Star Wars: TIE Fighter
19. Thunder Force III
20. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Rationale for a few:

Bloodborne is the greatest game of all time and it's not even close, it even makes Elden Ring look rubbish.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is the best game ever for playing with children. It's cute. It's fun. They can't die. They can't cause you to get stuck on the level causing endless frustration. It's perfect. Also the art style is the best, it's so far the only Kirby game I have ever enjoyed.

Laser Squad got picked ahead of XCom because it was amazing for it's time, far more so than XCom.

Excite Truck an outside pick but it was great. I love racing games where the terrain deforms and launches you into a massive jump while you're driving a truck and there's not many games that fit that category.

City of Heroes ahead of any other MMO because there was brief period where the balance was ridiculous. Some archetypes were godlike and others abysmal, everything was a confusing mess and it was amazing. My regular group had a tank called Mr Amazing, that's how amazing everything was. Amaze.

ET because it was the only online shooter I ever really got into. I loved it though, kill a dude. Knick his uniform, sneak in through the backdoor and blow up a base. Fantastic!

Lovely to see Excite Truck make someone's list. It was on my 'maybes'.

1. Fallout 3

2. Day of the Tentacle

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

4. Ultima VII: The Black Gate

5. WWF Wrestlefest

6. Chaos: The Battle of Wizards

7. Super Mario Odyssey

8. Super Mario Kart

9. Dream Quest (video game)

10. Red Dead Redemption 2

11. Championship Manager: Season 97/98

12. Portal (video game)

13. Half-Life 2

14. Hitman: Blood Money

15. Final Fight (video game)

16. Syndicate (1993 video game)

17. NHLPA Hockey '93

18. Pang (video game)

19. Bubble Bobble

20. Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)
  • BadgerFarmer unpinned this topic