IGNORED

Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)

Benny

How should games be scored?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

OutRun 2 👍

4 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I think most people have settled on "Outrun 2" for the naming convention, if you'd prefer to edit this. Everyone will know you're talking about 2006. :) 

done - thank you both.

Existing entries and today's new ones are already collated. So as mentioned, if anyone edits then they must link to their entry and show what changed.

1. Super Mario 64

2. Fez (video game)

3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

4. Rez (video game)

5. World of Warcraft

6. The Witness (2016 video game)

7. Portal 2

8. Bowser's Fury

9. Gran Turismo (1997 video game)

10. Day of the Tentacle

11. Mario Kart 64

12. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

13. Civilization IV

14. Super Monkey Ball (video game)

15. Braid (video game)

16. Viva Piñata

17. Forza Horizon 3

18. SimCity 2000

19. Shadow Complex

20. Flower (video game)

Close but no cigar for these:

Wave Race 64
Minecraft
Firewatch
Trials HD
Pokemon Go
Tunic

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 

1. Donkey Kong (1994 video game)
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Pokémon Black and White
4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. Wii Sports 
6. Super Mario Odyssey 
7.  Resident Evil 4 
8. Splatoon 
9. The World Ends With You 
10. Minecraft 
11. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
12. Paper Mario The Origami King
13. Super Monkey Ball 
14. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 
15. Shadow of the Colossus 

16. Portal 
17. The Sims 
18. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty 
19. Ring Fit Adventure

20. Alien Isolation 

This was a right bastard to get down to 20. Had to cut way too many games out for this. *grumble*

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Existing entries and today's new ones are already collated. So as mentioned, if anyone edits then they must link to their entry and show what changed.

How many people have voted so far?

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

It's easy to forget how good season 1 of the Walking Dead was at the time. Coincidentally I ran into this playthrough on Youtube last night and the end of season 1 is absolutely heartwrenching, one of the best emotional scenes in all of gaming!

Reveal hidden contents

I’m sure it was my game of 2012. A decade on, all I remember is how furious I was at the guy who looks like the guy from My Name is Earl, as he wouldn’t help me save Clementine’s life in the finale, as although we’d had many adventures and survived many perils together, for some reason he decided to sulk about something I said to him 4 episodes before. If he can hold a grudge that long, I can hold mine for a decade. Graham will remember that. 

1 hour ago, HarMGM said:

1. Donkey Kong (1994 video game)
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Pokémon Black and White
4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. Wii Sports 
6. Super Mario Odyssey 
7.  Resident Evil 4 
8. Splatoon 
9. The World Ends With You 
10. Minecraft 
11. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
12. Paper Mario The Origami King
13. Super Monkey Ball 
14. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 
15. Shadow of the Colossus 

16. Portal 
17. The Sims 
18. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty 
19. Ring Fit Adventure

20. Alien Isolation 

This was a right bastard to get down to 20. Had to cut way too many games out for this. *grumble*

Excellent choices there, especially your number one :)

Alas, much as I love TIE Fighter it doesn't get high enough up my list to hit the top 20 :(

Speaking of games with limited votes — @Mr. Gerbik, are you planning to vote and give the Thief series a chance of a second voter (even if it splits the vote to TMA rather than adding to TDP)? My vote is feeling awful lonely :D

15 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Speaking of games with limited votes — @Mr. Gerbik, are you planning to vote and give the Thief series a chance of a second voter (even if it splits the vote to TMA rather than adding to TDP)? My vote is feeling awful lonely :D

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED

To be honest I have so many real life distractions right now, I was planning on skipping this vote. But I will. For Garrett!

@Wiper I'm now having serious doubts on how to proceed. The Dark Age is absolutely brilliant and certainly worthy of being on this list. But my personal preference goes towards The Metal Age. But then I won't help Garrett as much as I should. Hmmm.

1. Yakuza 0

2. Disco Elysium

3. Dark Souls

4. Halo: Combat Evolved

5. Thief: The Dark Project

6. Street Fighter II

7. Sniper Elite 4

8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

9. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

10. Planescape: Torment

11. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

12. Super Mario World

13. Portal (video game)

14. Shadow of the Colossus

15. System Shock 2

16. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

17. Suikoden II

18. Prey (2017 video game)

19. Outrun 2

20. Hitman 3

@Wiper for Garrett!! Also, I'm surprised by the lack of Sniper Elite 4 on your list. Thought that would be right up your emergent sandbox stealth alley.

@Benny is this okay? Not my taste, I know that's impeccable, but rather because it didn't copy smoothly on my Android phone.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@Wiper I'm now having serious doubts on how to proceed. The Dark Age is absolutely brilliant and certainly worthy of being on this list. But my personal preference goes towards The Metal Age. But then I won't help Garrett as much as I should. Hmmm.

Vote for the one you prefer! The Metal Age is definitely the tighter of the two games, and on its merits is a stronger stealth game. In the end I prefer The Dark Project's weirder, gnarlier setting; it feels more 'right' for its ambiance that it's filled with gribblies and horrific mazes to get lost in — but that's just me! 

(also, you don't have to be as committed to the "one game per series life as I — you could vote for three Thief games! You know, all three of them. The only three ever made)

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@Wiper for Garrett!! Also, I'm surprised by the lack of Sniper Elite 4 on your list. Thought that would be right up your emergent sandbox stealth alley.

Oh, I love it, it just doesn't make it to my top 20 :(

4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Oh, I love it, it just doesn't make it to my top 20 :(

I understand. I have many like those too. And I quickly thought up this list just now so no doubt I'm going to remember solid top 20 titles in the coming weeks that I forgot to include.

But even weirder than the lack of SE4 - no Disco Elysium? I thought you were one of them there Planescape lovers :)

Edit: yes there are only three Thief games. Of course, don't be absurd. 

That's number 26 on my list!

image.png.7deaeacabb43d82579e7ad260f2df900.png

So glad to see Deadfire on yours, by the way — it feels criminal that that game has slipped under so many people's radars. Much more traditional an RPG than Disco Elysium, but just as brilliantly written in its own way.

I think the first game didn't help. It wasn't bad but felt very by the numbers. Lacking that certain spark that makes the very best CRPGs so amazing and memorable - anecdotally a lot of people bounced off it despite liking the *idea* behind the game and the nostalgia for classic CRPG goodness driving the hype behind the Kickstarter campaign. Many probably didn't even consider giving Deadfire a chance after that, despite it being brilliant in every way that Pillars 1 was not. One of the best in its genre.

Disco Elysium really clicked with me though. It's everything I ever wanted out of an RPG and I love it so much :wub:

1. Halo: Combat Evolved

2. Resident Evil 4

3. Metroid Prime

4. Bloodborne

5. Demon's Souls

6. Dark Souls

7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

8. Summer Games 2

9. The Eidolon

10. Green Beret

11. Paradroid

12. Metal Gear Solid

13. Mass Effect

14. Half Life 2

15. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

16. Resident Evil 2

17. Resident Evil Village

18. Super Mario Galaxy 2

19. Nintendoland

20. Bioshock

It took a while, but I'm finally settled on where I feel my taste lies at this point of my life. Weirdly, I found numbers 11-20 a lot harder to figure out, as that's where a bunch of honourable mentions slipped in and out:

1. VVVVVV

2. Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf

3. Nidhogg (video game)

4. Ring Fit Adventure

5. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

6. The World Ends with You

7. Pokémon Gold and Silver

8. Super Smash Bros. Melee

9. Super Hexagon

10. Panic Park

11. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

12. Streets of Rage 2

13. Ōkami

14. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

15. Return of the Obra Dinn

16. Asura's Wrath

17. Time Crisis II

18. God Hand

19. Spider-Man (2000 video game)

20. Alleyway (video game)

@Benny, will 11 be a problem? The full wiki page is just for Dragon's Dogma, but I specifically mean to include the Dark Arisen content, it's transformative.

Quickie thoughts, as the deadline looms:

1-5

Spoiler

VVVVVV - I first played this in early 2016 and upon finishing I took my headphones out and said to my girlfriend at the time that I may have just completed one of the best games I've ever played. Basically, all the praise everyone gives Portal is what I give to VVVVVV: Short, compact, dazzles with ideas and variety without overstaying its welcome and is genuinely funny. An utter masterclass of pure game design, executed to perfection. It's perfect.

Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf - It still holds up brilliantly. Fantastic implementation of comic logic, breadth of variety in its puzzles, arguably the best unlockables I have ever seen in a videogame. I'm arguing that this is the greatest licensed game ever made, and (almost) the actual greatest game.

Nidhogg - Purity. Nidhogg is so intuitive to grasp, and immediately exciting. The single best multiplayer experience I have ever had was playing with a room full of people, veteran gamers and newbies alike, and having everyone passing the controller around for some intense 1v1's. Matches can be as short as 30 seconds to 20 minute+ battles of attrition. The sequel is good, but sometimes less is indeed more.

Ring Fit Adventure - It's the best RPG. Way funnier than it has any right to be, weirdly hornier than it has any right to be (Abdonis and Allegra...), deeper than it... you get the point. The real beauty of this game is how it (perhaps unintentionally) engages with the player physically to create adaptive difficulty based on your own physique and traits. Compared to a friend, I relished any opportunity to use fitness based skills (basically an active rest for me) while for him leg work came easier. When it all synergises you're playing a game that truly gets you to think about your bodily composition, and is just a damn fun game in its own right. I do love me a good gimmick.

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - Something of a bittersweet one, this. As well as it being the farewell (well, not really...) to series mainstay Uncle Kaz, it's also served as my personal farewell to what was once my favourite series. I've made no secret of how much I've been disappointed by latter entries in the franchise, most notably forum (and wider internet) darling 0, and Yakuza 6 was this rare shining moment of all that I once loved about the adventures of Kazuma and pals taking their ride into the sunset. Onomichi is one of the best realised locales they've had, the coming to grips with the new Dragon Engine meant that the 'lack' of content in relation to other recent titles means it feels far less bloated, the focus on a single playable character helps keep the story on rails and engaging (despite 4 being my second favourite) and I'm probably an enormous outlier in finding the combat the best of the series. I always liked the dirty, rough style of the first few games, and the gradual shift towards more standardised character action gameplay (though it is admittedly done verrrrrry well in 0) just took away from the... character... of what I enjoyed so much. Kazuma is a street punk come good, seeing him doing all these crazy technical moves never sat right with me, so seeing him ragdolling chumps around in 6 put the biggest smile on my face. Running dropkick into a crowd of ten, scattering them like bowling pins. That's my Yakuza, baby.

6-10

Spoiler

The World Ends with You - If not for Ring Fit, the best RPG. What makes it exemplary are too numerous to list in a biref summary, so let it be known by this: It actually manages to overcome the horrid Nomura-ness of it all with the greatest of ease. Creativity oozing out of every single pore, unlike any other game out there. Also a standout example of using the DS hardware to maximum effect, no port comes close to the original for impact and execution. Banger soundtrack.

Pokemon Gold and Silver - Everything a sequel could hope to be. Expanding on everything that made the originals so era defining, tweaking and adjusting things to balance out (two whole new types being introduced), a functioning real time night and day cycle, fun extras like Mystery Gift. The real thing that puts it so high up the list above all of its kin is the still never bettered postgame. It still dazzles me that we got to explore the first game's world once again, with changes that really made it feel like a passing of time, culminating in an iconic final showdown that also felt quite melancholy. I still love mainline Pokemon games, but Generation 2 is a peak that is difficult to reach.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Ultimate is better. Just is. More EVERYTHING, better balanced, less broken. But. BUT. The impact of Melee, and how it defined multiplayer experiences for years to come for me. First playing it over a friend's, it convinced me that I needed a Gamecube. Just the one game, and I do not regret it. Sakurai just GETS IT, and the game is still a delight to play to this day, even if it has been technically bettered.

Super Hexagon - I still have Dicey Dungeons to play, and if tracks alongside this and VVVVVV, then Terry Cavanagh may just be my favourite game designer. Even more so than VVVVVV and Nidhogg, Super Hexagon is distilled purity, the game I would put in the position that many people put Tetris in. What makes it better than Tetris are those slamming beats, and the brutal difficulty it can ascend to. I set a record on my mate's profile that stood for 6 years until he messaged me a month back showing off that he finally beat it. Better get back to it...

Panic Park - I said I love a controller gimmick. Panic Park's is one that everyone should try out at some point. Cumulatively, I've probably not played more than 90 minutes of this over the years, but those 90 minutes have been more rewarding and filled with joy than what I've derived from some 100+ hour epics. Just look it up, and see if there's any kind of arcade or museum near you that has a cabinet. Bring a pal and have the best fucking time. There's one in the Krakow arcade museum, if anyone happens to visit. You owe it to yourself.

11-15

Spoiler

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - I remember when it was the big back and forth between either Skyrim or Dark Souls. Both sides are wrong, Dragon's Dogma is the best one.

Streets of Rage 2 - Akin to Yakuza 6, while it may have been technically bettered by 4, I have my preference for the rougher edges and grimyness of 2. Has aged magnificently.

Okami - It's the real best Zelda game. People complain about the long opening and how overlong the game is. Well duh, that's because it's actually Okami 1, 2 and 3 one disc. We were blessed with the whole damn trilogy straight out of the gates, you ungrateful swine.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - The next best Zelda game comes just behind it. Link To The Past is wonderful, Ocarina is as damn good as everyone says, Breath of the Wild felt revelatory etc. Majora's Mask is better than all of them simply due to its atmosphere, for pushing into this darker, weirder side that I hope to god we can see return in BOTW2. Games can be weirder. let them be weirder.

Return of the Obra Dinn - Up there with VVVVVV for the immediate impact it left on me. Unlike aything I have ever played, a true delight from start to finish, I hope that the memory loss that runs in my family can hit me a bit sooner so I can experience this fresh again within this decade.

16-20

Spoiler

Asura's Wrath - BUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRSSSSTTTTTT. Hype has never been bettered than in this game. I don't care if it's mostly glorified QTE's, when they're so goddamn enthralling! A shame about the scummy DLC ending, as that ending really needs to be experienced. Utterly transcendent.

Time Crisis II - I needed some kind of shooting game, and nothing fit the bill better than the game that still makes me reflexively duck out of the way of the screen of incoming bullets. Namco lightgun games in the 90's were a delight, it was either going to be this or Point Blank.

God Hand - This one honestly feel the most likely to slip in future, very much a legacy choice. Still unparalleled combat, though I get the feeling that further replays of Astral Chain could unseat it. A shame that a whole lot of the content has aged poorly (well it was never really in good taste to begin with) but I'm still someone who holds up the Crank films as modern masterpieces, so trashman accepts it.

Spider-Man - Still the best Spidey game. What If? mode still makes me laugh. Content rich, special shout out to the character profiles all being read out by Stan Lee. Sadly it's not a patch of Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf.

Alleyway - Childhood memories. Watching my Dad have a bunch of his pals and their sons around to play Tekken 2 (then 3) and in between rounds those not playing would ask for a go on my Game Boy to try and nail some high scores. Tekken 3 was almost here, but I go back to Alleyway more often. I now have the current joy of giving my old Game Boy Colour to my girlfriend and watching her play it periodically. Timeless gaming.

1. Elden Ring

2. Hollow Knight

3. Guilty Gear Strive

4. Slay the Spire

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

6. Disco Elysium

7. Rhythm Tengoku

8. Doom (2016 video game)

9. Civilization V

10. The Last of Us

11. Super Mario Odyssey

12. Kentucky Route Zero

13. Ultrakill

14. Control (video game)

15. Tokimeki Memorial (video game)

16. Mushihimesama Futari

17. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

18. Chrono Trigger

19. Final Fantasy Tactics

20. Celeste (video game)

Only 20 choices is hard! I will do some explanations at some point if work eases up. Feel a bit weird about putting so many new games in there, but I think that's what's feels right at the moment. Strive was a bit of a difficult choice for me, considering the amount of love I have for SFIV, but think Strive deserves as much recognition as possible for the superb rollback netcode implementation. Also fuck it, I made my way out of pools in Evo last year, I'm allowed to like this game best!

The other big difficult choice was Ultrakill as it isn't even finished yet but my god I just love it so much. I've never felt so fucking cool playing a shooter and I reckon the scope you have for player expression likely eclipses even DMC and Bayonetta, which is why neither of those series made my list, though I dearly love entries from both.

Longlisted games:

Spoiler

Street Fighter IV

Monkey Island 3

Deathloop

God of War 2018

Uncharted 4

Downwell

Metal Slug 3

Nuclear Throne

Return of the Obra Dinn

Super Hexagon

Dragon Quest XI

Bayonetta

Devil May Cry V

Portal

Resident Evil 4

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Gunstar Heroes

Final Fantasy 7

Prey 2017

Granblue Fantasy VS

Titanfall 2

Until Dawn

Borderlands 2

Cave Story

Samurai Gunn

The Stanley Parable

1. Fallout 3
2. Bloodborne
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
5. Spelunky
6. Enter the Gungeon
7. Solomon's Key
8. Halo: Combat Evolved
9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
10. Portal (video game)
11. What Remains of Edith Finch
12. Super Mario Galaxy
13. Super Mario Galaxy 2
14. Mario Kart 64
15. Astro Bot Rescue Mission
16. Batman: Arkham City
17. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
18. BioShock 2
19. Inside (video game)
20. Slay the Spire

I don't think anyone has put Resident Evil 4 as their favourite game but at this rate it has a chance of getting top spot, certainly top 3.

This is almost as exciting as Eurovision.

Edit: it'll be BotW.

Just now, ChewMagma said:

Fuuuuuck, I forgot about God Hand. And Disco Elysium to a lesser extent. Oh well not mucking about with the list now.

I'm listening.