IGNORED

Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)

Benny

How should games be scored?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Dishonored 2

3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

4. Dishonored 

5. Half-Life 2

6. Grand Theft Auto V

7. Halo 3: ODST

8. Halo 3

9. Mark of the Ninja

10. Prey (2017 video game)

11. Halo: Combat Evolved

12. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

13. The Last of Us Part II

14. Portal (video game)

15. Red Dead Redemption

16. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

17. Wave Race 64

18. Portal II

19. Rise of the Tomb Raider

20. Mr. Do!

2. Elden Ring

3. Dark Souls

4. The Last of Us Part II

5. Shadow of the Colossus

6. Super Mario Odyssey

7. Half-Life 2

8. Final Fantasy VII

9. Mario Kart 8

10. The Last of Us

11. Inside (video game)

12. God of War (2018 video game)

13. Return of the Obra Dinn

14. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

15. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

16. Resident Evil 4

17. Hollow Knight

18. Portal 2

19. The Witness (2016 video game)

20. Half-Life: Alyx

---

Feeling cute, might delete later, etc.

Top five are a dead cert, but it's very difficult to rank the others. As ever, I'm caught in a quandary as to whether 'Best' means 'Favourite', 'Most important', 'Most significant to me personally', etc.

And it's tough to separate my feelings about them when I played them compared with how I'd feel about them now. FFVII, for example, was the greatest story ever told in 1997; playing it through again a few years back, it's a tyre fire. Same for SotC - who would want to play the PS2 original now, with that frame rate?

Still, thanks for doing this @Benny! I love a good list. I expect Elden Ring to take first.

---

Comments:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Still the best game I've ever played, five years after it first came out. The essence of adventure distilled.

2. Elden Ring: From Software's magnum opus. A bewildering, sprawling, sublime, epic masterpiece. Mind-meltingly ambitious.

3. Dark Souls: Back when we did the games of the decade, I said that this was the most influential game of the last ten years. Nothing has changed.

4. The Last of Us Part II: The most engaging narrative in a videogame I've ever experienced, and one which could only be told as effectively as it is through a videogame.

5. Shadow of the Colossus: Name me a game with a more evocative atmosphere. I'll wait.

6. Super Mario Odyssey: The best game ever made with 'Mario' in the title. Breathtakingly inventive and rewarding, from moon one to moon nine hundred and ninety-nine.

7. Half-Life 2: My favourite first person shooter. We're coming up on two decades since its release and it remains an absolute banger.

8. Final Fantasy VII: The biggest 'heart pick' in my list, but I couldn't keep it out of the top ten. Instrumental in my love for videogames and my tastes in fiction generally. I first played it when I was seven years old and I've been hooked on this wonderful medium ever since. Cloud coming down the stairs in Shinra HQ on the motorbike is one of the formative moments of my childhood. How could anything else possibly ever be as badass?

9. Mario Kart 8: The best racing game ever made. The fact that it's still a bestseller and that extra content is being added to it eight years later is testament to its enduring brilliance. Even when it drives you insane, it's still some of the best fun you can have with a joypad.

10. The Last of Us: I think the sequel improves on it in more or less every way, and yet it's still good enough to sneak inside my top ten.

11. Inside (video game): Brooding, shuffling, snorting, irrepressible menace that just builds and builds and builds. The ending is positively ejaculatory.

12. God of War (2018 video game): Story, world-building, combat, presentation, exploration and scale coming together beautifully to make a perfectly polished blockbuster experience.

13. Return of the Obra Dinn: An astonishing work of artistic vision. Completely unique and wholly satisfying.

14. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker: My favourite game from the Gamecube era. A masterclass in animation and charm.

15. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: Such drama! Such gravitas! Such campness! Achingly cool and goofy as fuck at the same time. Kojima's best game.

16. Resident Evil 4: Tighter than an El Gigante's boxer shorts. Not an ounce of fat on it. A 15 hour rollercoaster ride comprised almost entirely of one incredible set piece after another.

17. Hollow Knight: The best thing to come out of Dark Souls' and Metroid's combined legacies. Unbelievably ambitious and brilliantly executed.

18. Portal 2: Valve took the deliciously tantalising feeling of looking behind the curtain from Portal 1 and then made a feature-length game out of it. Plus, they added Stephen Merchant. How could it not be one of the best games ever made?

19. The Witness (2016 video game): "Hey, this pattern on the pavement here looks pretty familiar. I wonder what happens if I take the cursor and --. Oh. Ohhhhhh."

20. Half-Life: Alyx: Sheltering behind a crumbling pillar, ejecting your gun's magazine with one hand while grabbing another from your backpack with the other, jamming it home, pulling back the chamber, taking a breath, jumping out from cover and shooting three combine soldiers in the head in quick succession, all from the comfort of your own living room, in your pants, will be the coolest thing you'll ever do in a videogame.

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

As ever, I'm caught in a quandary as to whether 'Best' means 'Favourite', 'Most important', 'Most significant to me personally', etc.

I will personally come to the house of anybody who chooses "most important" over "favourite" as their driving criterion and shout at them.

1. Iridis Alpha

2. Persona 4

3. Rhythm Tengoku

4. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!

5. TxK

6. OutRun 2

7. Elden Ring

8. Superbeat: Xonic

9. Chrono Trigger

10. Bloodborne

11. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

12. Final Fantasy VI

13. Hotline Miami

14. Vanquish

15. Yakuza: Like A Dragon

16. Half-Life 2

17. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

18. DJ Hero 2

19. Tetris

20. Super Mario World

Spoiler

Iridis Alpha: still one of the most unique shooters I've played, although it's not just unique for the sake of being gimmicky - the initially-confusing set of rules creates a brand new feeling of tension and satisfaction that elevates it above so many other games. There are some annoying and frustrating moments, from figuring out said rules to slamming into the "licky face" enemies, but when everything is going according to plan it's a proper "zone" experience. Unless something equally bonkers emerges, I don't see this changing for a while.

Persona 4: technically this nomination would go to Persona 4 Golden, but the original game still has a lot worth recommending. It works with the unique template established in P3 but throws in more dungeon variety, a new and interesting murder-mystery angle to the story, added tweaks such as the part-time jobs... and the dungeon-crawling may be simpler than in 5, but it also benefits from feeling less bloated. The best version to get right now is probably Persona 4 Golden on Steam, but if portability is a key factor and you can't afford a Deck, the Vita version of Golden is still excellent.

Rhythm Tengoku: this nomination goes to the GBA release - it didn't get localised over here, but we did get the "Rhythm Heaven" or "Rhythm Paradise" follow-ups later on. Taking the variety and fun of WarioWare and recontextualising it as a rhythm game ends up creating a feeling of awe and wonder not unlike what you felt when you first played WarioWare, and it's packed with creative and unique details. It is one of the more "inaccessible" games on my list, and I was always disappointed that it didn't even get a half-hearted, untranslated release over here, but you can acclimatise to the interactions pretty quickly just by playing around.

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!: my top three games up there have certain design decisions that appeal to me personally, but I feel like WarioWare is something I can recommend to all sorts of people who want to know why I remain interested in videogames. By consolidating the objective and win conditions of gaming into a matter of seconds, it's always surprising and satisfying - not to mention genuinely funny (even if its humour does lean towards the juvenile and slapstick.) One of the rare times I bothered to "buy back" a game after I had regrets over trading it in so many years ago.

TxK: my favourite Jeff Minter game that isn't Iridis Alpha, I guess. I know that if you strip away all of the bells and whistles there isn't much to differentiate this from classic Tempest... but it's not like classic Tempest was really a bad game in the first place. Unfortunately it exists as a delisted Vita downloadable now, but I've got it installed on my OLED and don't plan on removing it. (I also understand that Tempest 4000 was a thing in 2018 but that came and went without me finding the time to check it out, so I still don't know if that's a worthwhile alternative.)

OutRun 2: again, the naming is in accordance with the voting rules but this vote is really for Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast. These games - OR2, 2006, Online Arcade - have been bought by me more times than nearly anything else. I ended up with 1 copy of OutRun 2, about three of 2006, and Online Arcade. No matter the host platform, you can enjoy some of the most satisfying arcade drifting action around, and it still puts the new pretenders (Drift Stage, Slipstream) to shame. The whole thing with the Ferrari licence kind of killed any hopes for remasters, but if you can track it down you won't regret it.

Elden Ring: yeah, okay, this is probably my new favourite "Dark Fantasy Action RPG by From Software Because Fuck Calling Everything Souls" game now. It doesn't have the sharp focus of aggressive combat and cosmic horror theming that Bloodborne (my old favourite) had, but it finds room to include a lot of that in one of the most engrossing and breathtaking action RPGs around. The possibilities open to the player at any moment are awesome, and I genuinely think it's a great place to start if you're new to From's action RPGs.

Superbeat: Xonic: Beatmania. Jubeat. DJ Max Portable. Games from an era of abstraction and frenzy, of weird J-Pop and frantic techno. These kind of games have always fascinated me but been just out of reach - Superbeat Xonic, however, retains the spirit of those classics whilst bringing its own unique format. Touchscreen play on Vita may not seem groundbreaking, but the smart placement of the notes (they emerge from the centre of the screen and go out to the edge) make this easy to play, and the unique actions (tapping, tracing, flicking) bring a whole new sense of challenge and satisfaction.

Chrono Trigger: I still feel like a bit of a fraud talking about this because I haven't gone back for the multiple endings, but having only played it in 2021 I was really impressed with the format. JRPGs can be hard to recommend because they're always a big investment of time, but CT's "chapter"-based format and diverse settings make a 32hr (for me) epic feel like 20 or so smaller adventures. Fatigue never sets in because soon enough you're doing something else, and so you don't even notice how much time you've invested...

Bloodborne: when I was thinking of things to do before Elden Ring came out, I decided to start a new character in Bloodborne and go through the game again (although I didn't have time to revisit The Old Hunters.) And it's still got it. Whilst Elden Ring is so much more ambitious and offers more to a wider audience, Bloodborne still benefits from being dedicated to the eldritch fantasy vibe and having such distinctive and memorable locations, characters... even weapons. I think it's still my only Platinum trophy, and it was the game that made me more curious about what From would do next.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: I dropped off V when I felt ashamed of my internet connection, and whilst I poured hundreds of hours into the SFIV games, they lacked the raw energy that comes from a good game of 3rd Strike. A few newer 2D fighters came awfully close to replacing this for me - in particular Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, and DragonBall FighterZ - but I kind of found them a bit overwhelming and I didn't really click with a community when compared to the 3S rllmuk folk and the streamers I follow. Play 3rd Strike; it's a good game.

Final Fantasy VI: my new favourite Final Fantasy game. I had this and Chrono Trigger on my bucket list for ages, and my CT playthrough came a year after I checked out FFVI in 2020. A stirring soundtrack, some gorgeous "pixel art" (in my day we just called them sprites), some massively-satisfying gameplay that emerges from the unique character skills, and a world packed with secrets and sidequests. Not to mention an engrossing and entertaining story that fleshes out a party of awesome characters. There may be a few difficulty-spikes, and the party-split moments mean that you can't pick favourite characters to stick with, but you won't want to.

Hotline Miami: perhaps looking back at some of it now it feels a bit try-hard and edgy, but this was one of the first games that lit the touch paper before we saw a resurgence in try-hard and edgy indie games (many of which got picked up by Devolver) so I think it can be forgiven. One-shot kills, mouse-and-keyboard precision (well, on PC), a glorious soundtrack and a grimy lo-fi aesthetic help to give this the kind of timeless appeal that the pretenders wish they could achieve. (The sequel was good too but also a bit up its own arse and without such a balanced challenge.)

Vanquish: I'm ashamed to say that this didn't even make the honourable mentions in my 2017 vote (and I know that @Benny wasn't too pleased about the result of that poll); hopefully I can make amends here. It's been a while since I properly played Vanquish and last time I checked I wasn't amazing at it, but I still admire what it stands for. It's every cool firefight you see happening in the skyboxes and behind the invisible walls of other shooters, and it regularly feels cinematic in a way that doesn't involve removing player participation. So many games could learn from this one.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon: It's still hard to believe that it works. I know that Yakuza games have always had combat that followed a certain rhythm of blocking, attacking and - yes - taking turns... but such a bold shift in genre had no right to be this satisfying. When you find your groove and have your next few party actions planned in your head already, your thumbs dance through the menus as quickly as they would when performing combos in the older games. Meanwhile, it introduces a new main protagonist after so much Kiryu, and yet Ichiban wins your heart by the end of the game; big goofy himbo that he is.

Half-Life 2: the original Half-Life set a standard for scripted, set-piece-led action that provided a blueprint for generations of first-person shooters, and over time Valve tried to harness the lessons picked up from any successes and failures that followed the blueprint. With those lessons, they then set out to try and create something worthy of sequel status. The AI may not have aged well and the engine is old hat, but I still enjoy the adventure through City 17 - the antlions, the airboat, the gravity gun... (Maybe next time I'll have a nomination for Alyx, but right now I don't have the hardware.)

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective: I shouldn't really enjoy this game as much as I do. A hybrid of puzzling and storytelling, Ghost Trick should be the worst kind of game for a player as hopeless at cause-and-effect puzzling as me. That said, the game often gives the player just enough to get them going, but doesn't rob them of the satisfaction that comes from figuring something out. And just when you think you've seen every puzzle variation, it will surprise you again. Outside of the gameplay, the catchy tunes and "rotoscoped" animation style are ace, and the story is equal parts nonsense (in a good way) and compelling.

DJ Hero 2: yeah, okay, I'm a big dumb casual gamer who quietly amassed a bunch of plastic instruments when the plastic instrument genre was in its stride. However, the DJ Hero games were by far some of the cleverer takes on the genre. Acknowledging that the process of beatmatching is often dull and tedious, they instead replicate the satisfaction of flamboyant scratching and crossfading across a mix that's already been prepared for the player. Either game is a fun experience, but 2 is pretty much "1 but more", so go for that.

Tetris: the obligatory inclusion. Right now my variation of choice is Tetris Effect: Connected but most of the (decent) variations will be fine. It's a game that's easy to understand with a level of challenge that anyone can find satisfying, as the speed increases and you find yourself tested to the peak of your twitch-reflex abilities. I can't recall how well I did on Game A in the GB release, but I have cleared Level 9 High 5 in the past. I haven't played Tetris 99, but I did enjoy my brief tetr.io phase where I got destroyed by way better players from the forum.

Super Mario World: my knowledge of Mario platformers kind of stops at 64 and New Super Mario Bros (although I've played a bit of 3D World and Odyssey via my nephew's Switch) so I can't vote for anything very recent. I think last time I played Super Mario World I did find it a little "slippery" and fell off a number of things, but when you lock into the control and momentum you can take on everything. Like WarioWare, I still have the GBA cart of Super Mario Advance 2, and I guess I can't throw it out because all of the emulator sites are going to be crushed and eventually the Virtual Consoles will go offline and GODDAMNIT WHY NINTY?

10 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

@Benny I guess OR2006 is an "update", but it has its own Wikipedia page and... well, who the hell is going to vote for Outrun 2?

It's clear in the rules: if it's part of a series of updates rather than sequels, then just use the original in the series as the voting pick, and the write-up later will pick either the best version or potentially mention differences. I'm not going to get hung up on versions of games in the data any more than I am over differences in multiplatform 8-bit home computer games. Just pick the very first release before the "updates" as the Wikipedia title for the vote, like Ry did.

If there are discrepancies the vote will simply be split. I will only be counting names as unique, no consolidation from my end.

1. Hitman 3

2. The Beatles: Rock Band

3. Yakuza 0

4. Monster Train

5. Final Fantasy XI

6. Slay the Spire

7. Hyrule Warriors

8. Anno 1800

9. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

10. Civilization IV

11. Monster Hunter: World

12. Metroid Prime

13. Rez (video game)

14. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

15. Assassin's Creed Odyssey

16. Outrun 2

17. Shenmue II

18. The Lord of the Rings Online

19. Dead Rising (video game)

20. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

2. Mario Kart 8

3. Goldeneye 007 (1997 video game)

4. Metroid Prime

5. International Superstar Soccer 64

6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

7. Super Mario Odyssey

8. Super Mario Galaxy

9. Super Mario 64

10. Super Metroid

11. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

12. Super Mario World

13. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

14. Sensible World of Soccer

15. Splatoon 2

16. Yoshi’s Island

17. F-Zero X

18. Super Mario Bros. 3

19. Street Fighter II 

20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Super Monkey Ball and Wii Sports unlucky to miss out. 

Edited: for wiki names 

2. Dark Souls

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

4. Super Mario 64

5. Metroid Prime

6. Half-Life 2

7. Halo: Combat Evolved

8. Portal (video game)

9. The Witness (2016 video game)

10. Advance Wars

11. Hollow Knight

12. Braid (video game)

13. Hitman: Blood Money

14. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

15. Splatoon (video game)

16. Resident Evil 4

17. Journey (2012 video game)

18. Tomb Raider (1996 video game)

19. Dishonored

20. Solomon's Key

runners-uppers:
Baba is You
F-Zero GX

Goldeneye 007

Half-Life

Lylat Wars
Metroid Fusion
Pokemon Red/Blue
Return of the Obra Dinn
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Maker

@Wiper given your reaction to some of my GotYs before, I get the impression we have a similar opinion when reading each other's lists.

Namely, veering wildly from 'man, what excellent taste' to 'man, what the fuck are they thinking'. 

I mean, until you've posted your list anything is possible. But yes, I anticipate my response will be something along the lines of this:

image.png.56823f12f8d33fe86d6306eae96f20df.png

ten times in a row.

2. Perfect Dark

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

4. Super Mario 64

5. Bayonetta

6. Super Mario World

7. World of Warcraft

8. Nights into Dreams

9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

10. Final Fantasy XI

11. Final Fantasy VII

12. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

13. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

14. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

15. F-Zero GX

16. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

17. Mario Kart 8

18. The King of Fighters '98

19. Outrun 2

20. Resident Evil 2

+ about 200 honourable mentions. The following are for copy&paste mind-changery:

Half-Life 2, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario 3D World, Bloodborne, Castlevania, Super Castlevania IV, Gradius V, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Ridge Racers, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Sonic Mania, Super Mario Odyssey, Final Fantasy VI, Cyberpunk 2077, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Doom II, Quake, Quake III Arena, StarCraft II, Streets of Rage 4, R-Type, Pac-Man, Galaga.

I'd like to add that if modded versions of both Skyrim and CP2077 were allowed they'd both be top 5. Easily. Anyone who's never sampled these forms is missing out big time.

1.    Halo: Combat Evolved
    2.    Defender
    3.    Dark Souls
    4.    Manhunt
    5.    Burnout: Takedown
    6.    Elden Ring
    7.    Unreal Tournament
    8.    Crazy Taxi
    9.    Gradius V
    10.    Silent Bomber
    11.    Resident Evil 4
    12.    Mr Do!
    13.    Thunderforce IV
    14.    Sniper Elite 4
    15.    The Hobbit
    16.    Choplifter!
    17.    Wipeout 2097
    18.    Split/Second
    19.    Sheep In Space
    20.    Bloodborne

Might edit but pretty much this.

4 minutes ago, Benny said:

With reference to the above but a note to everyone:

PLEASE USE THE TEMPLATE PROVIDED AND DO NOT ADD FURTHER FORMATTING OR DOUBLE SPACES

Thanks

Can we not use the rich text format numbered list? Re-ordering without it is complete bollocks.

9 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Can we not use the rich text numbered list? Re-ordering without it is complete bollocks.

No, it must be the same formatting as from the OP as per the rules. You can always make your numbered list somewhere else then paste the names back in to the plain template if you have to. I need to keep the formatting simple so it's easier for me to pull it all together in a script without problems.

Put simply: anyone who has not copied and used the template from the OP as instructed by the deadline will not have their entry recorded. That appears to only be a couple of people so far but this is non negotiable or collating the data will not work properly.

In fact I'm going to insist on it. If you had copied from the template as instructed and filled it in directly it should look like this on inspection:

image.png.9a2438646d6c782f718c6c6a7c21ff3d.png 

If it does not look like this and you filled it in by making your own line breaks, lists, formatting etc then it will not accept the entry.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)
  • BadgerFarmer pinned this topic
  • BadgerFarmer unpinned this topic