IGNORED

EA ditches the FIFA licence

Isaac

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/sports/soccer/fifa-ea-sports.html

After almost three decades, one of the most successful commercial relationships in sports is over.

Months of tense negotiations between the video-game maker Electronic Arts and FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, ended without an agreement to extend a partnership that had created not so much a wildly popular game as a cultural phenomenon.

The current deal, which was to end after this year’s World Cup in Qatar, has been adjusted to run through to the Women’s World Cup next summer. Once that tournament is over, the company said, 150 million FIFA video game players will have to get used to a new name for the series: EA Sports FC.

Isn't it the case that FIFA overvalued the license? It will make no difference at all to the fortunes of the EA game. Hopefully it leads to someone else making an official world cup game but it'll probably end up being some half arsed dlc by Konami in their latest shit show. 

EA will just rename the game their game and spend a small fortune launching their new football brand (something ultimate team, probably). FIFA will lose out on a lot of money as they got a bit too greedy and got their bluff called.

It’s a bit of a lose-lose really.

Edit: Just saw they are calling it EA Sports FC which is an awful awful name.

Are all the team names and player names a separate deal? So they'd lose the ability to have The Official FIFA World Cup 20XXtm in their games but all the other stuff could stay? If so I doubt it'll hurt them much, indeed.

Just now, milko said:

Are all the team names and player names a separate deal? So they'd lose the ability to have The Official FIFA World Cup 20XXtm in their games but all the other stuff could stay? If so I doubt it'll hurt them much, indeed.

That’s about the crux of it.

14 minutes ago, milko said:

Exactly this. People will just call it FIFA anyways.

I hope Konami buy the license just for the lols.

5 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Exactly this. People will just call it FIFA anyways.

I hope Konami buy the license just for the lols.

LOL Konami. End up as a Pachinko machine.

12 minutes ago, milko said:

I believe every league and players association is a separate deal. And some clubs also require their own license. The FIFA name is basically way overvalued by FIFA themselves. This will sell just as many copies as before. Plus people will still call it FIFA. I've got friends who still refer to football manager as 'champ'. 

1 hour ago, PaB said:

This has been on the cards for ages . It won’t change anything other than the name of the game. 

"EA Sports. It's in the (slightly differently named) game!"

31 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I believe every league and players association is a separate deal. And some clubs also require their own license. The FIFA name is basically way overvalued by FIFA themselves. This will sell just as many copies as before. Plus people will still call it FIFA. I've got friends who still refer to football manager as 'champ'. 

Aye you already have the official Brazil team missing from current FIFA due to licensing,  and a host of clubs - Juventus for example. 

EA could save a lot of money on ditching more licences for official names and whatever they release will still sell millions. I'm part of the problem tbh.

FIFA were trying to double their money and lose exclusivity with EA - I think they’ve misjudged this one as sure the name will change but it’s solely the world cups the game loses as content.

We arent entering an age of Manchester Blue v Nth London Red and player name puns

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Can’t believe they didn’t go with “Ultimate Team”

Yeah, that's the real shocker out of this - Even if the game mode is gross microtransaction gambling hell, it's absolutely synonymous with EA's football games at this point and would have been a slam dunk to just rebrand it as that overall. I guess they want to expand the mode to their other sports games (even if that in itself is, well, disconcerting to consider)

Not only have Fifa lost out on the $150m a year from EA they intend to launch their own game in 2024. 

It’ll sell a few copies at xmas to unsuspecting grandparents but it’s a tough space to compete

Konami to buy the license and re-release PES 4,5 or 6 in HD with full fifa license.

One can dream. 

Still playing PES 5 to this day. It's still light years ahead of any other football game. 

3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Not only have Fifa lost out on the $150m a year from EA they intend to launch their own game in 2024. 

It’ll sell a few copies at xmas to unsuspecting grandparents but it’s a tough space to compete

I'm guessing they have to be going into a partnership with someone to make that happen. I'm sure Take 2 would love to have a big football game each year but I can't see them agreeing to FIFAs terms. 

• Isaac changed the title to EA ditches the FIFA licence