IGNORED

The Top 100 TV Series which began since 2000 as voted by TV experts.

13 hours ago, Benny said:

Of course, Twin Peaks: The Return operates on a complete other level to all of these shows.

It is magnificent. It also, unequivocally, does not belong in a list of "TV shows that started since 2000". It's series 3 of a show that started in 1990. 

Of course it's a pretty arbitrary stipulation anyway. Let's face it, it's only there so that the Sopranos couldn't win. 

7 hours ago, Rayn said:

As with any list it's impossible to agree 100% but then again, there are loads of series on that list I've not even heard about and others I'm flat out have no interest for. I think I should use this list to give some new series a chance.

No. 4 on the list, Fleabag, I haven't even heard about until now so I guess I need to check it out. 

No. 67 is a bit puzzling, to me, as it's a rather niche reality show. I haven't watched it so I can't comment on how good it is but in my mind I struggle to believe it's better than, say, Masterchef Australia which I rate among the very best reality shows ever, if not the best. 

Overall a good list and I've decided to give the following a chance over the nest few weeks: 
Fleabag
I May Destroy You
Babylon Berlin
Enlightened
Normal People

6 hours ago, Benny said:

The Guardian love Fleabag so I'm ideologically opposed to it.

We watched Fleabag about a month ago completely blind (well, other than "I think this is meant to be decent") and it's genuinely amazing TV.  I'm not convinced it's #4 on that list TV (it seems like one of those things where something popular at the time affects a poll), but it's well worth a watch.  It's also nice that it has that low budget, well written breakthrough sort of feel to it, rather than a massive production budget thing.  It feels personal and in some ways relatable too.

This Is England should be higher, but I'd split out the first season which, I thought anyway was miles better than the subsequent ones.

I'd have Westworld higher too, and of course Black Mirror should be 2nd only to The Wire.

I enjoyed the Queen's Gambit more than a whole host of stuff above it too.

Stuff that seems higher than I'd expect:

Mad Men - it was great, but - well, someone put it really well above, it was either amazing pitches, or Don drinking dullness.  

Lost even taking into account the mass hysteria it caused, which I'm not sure was any greater than 24 fever was, it dragged on too long.

The Good Wife was decent at best in the early seasons, then became predictable, repetitive and boring as it went on (we stopped watching about halfway through, so perhaps it got better again?)

Hideous crime that it's missing for me:

The Newsroom

Killing Eve

And if you can count cancelled shows that didn't reach a conclusion (and why not, Game Of Thrones is #5 and you might as well ignore most of the last season of that anyway) Firefly, Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles, Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip.

Peaky Blinders even?

I know nothing though, I didn't get on with Breaking Bad, didn't make it through Season 1 before turning it off.

Still, useful as a list of stuff that's worth watching a few episodes of!

Echoing the happiness at seeing Halt and Catch Fire in there. Such a beautiful, bittersweet series. Gordon's storyline still leaves a lump in the throat.

Noticed Louie sneaking in at 94. It's a shame that such a fine programme will forever be tainted with what happened afterwards. I really loved that show.

Not saying it should be as high as it is but there’s some strange takes on Mad Men in here.

Ones I’ve enjoyed of late that I’d have in there are Dopesick, Mr Inbetween, Tales From The Loop.

Glad Bojack was so high, had such an emotional trip through watching the whole show.

How is The X-Files not on there? Or did I miss it? It was mostly fantastic and made household names of its characters. I hated the reboot series a few years ago tho

Buffy Firefly or Angel I can forgive as they are pretty niche but way more dramatic emotional episodes than LoD or some others. At least the Shield was quite high up.

Its good The Simpsons is missing also. It's the best program ever for 6 or 7 series but has been unwatchable for 4 times as long :(

4 minutes ago, McFly said:

How is The X-Files not on there? Or did I miss it? It was mostly fantastic and made household names of its characters. I hated the reboot series a few years ago tho

Buffy Firefly or Angel I can forgive as they are pretty niche but way more dramatic emotional episodes than LoD or some others. At least the Shield was quite high up.

Its good The Simpsons is missing also. It's the best program ever for 6 or 7 series but has been unwatchable for 4 times as long :(

Its TV "since 2000" mate

Why is Big Bang Theory on this list. And how is it higher than Stranger Things, 24, Planet Earth, Rick & Morty, The Killing and Sunny to name a few. 

How is that and HIMYM better than Sunny? 

All of the following are better comedies that Big Bang Theory but missing from this list: Flight of the Conchords, Wellington Paranormal, What We Do In the Shadows, Trailer Park Boys, Malcolm in the Middle, Modern Family, IT Crowd, Inbetweeners, Summer Heights High, Brooklyn 99, Scrubs, My Name Is Earl, Reaper, Bob's Burgers, Archer and Bored to Death.

4 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Yes! Love this series, recommend it to anyone that'll listen.

Me too. Great show. Touching but funny as hell with some great actors like Connie Britton, Kyle Chandler, Zach Gilford, Taylor Kitsch, Jesse Pelmons, Adrienne Paleki and, er, um Minka Kelly and Aimee Teegarden.

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

All of the following are better comedies that Big Bang Theory but missing from this list: Flight of the Conchords, Wellington Paranormal, What We Do In the Shadows, Trailer Park Boys, Malcolm in the Middle, Modern Family, IT Crowd, Inbetweeners, Summer Heights High, Brooklyn 99, Scrubs, My Name Is Earl, Reaper, Bob's Burgers, Archer and Bored to Death.

I'd thought Malcolm in the Middle may have been earlier, but yeah - that should definitely be in there (and high up too). And the IT Crowd is another great shout.

Look there's a show we all know should be on this list that's missing.  There's hardly a negative post in its thread. 

No it's not Doctor Who.

Where the fuck is Mr Inbetween? 

I think when you’re trying to weigh up whether Planet Earth is better than Rick & Morty, you’re approaching the realms of ridiculousness. 

That said, I’d definitely have included Peaky Blinders, and if Twin Peaks: The Return counts as a new show, then so does the 2005 Doctor Who reboot. 

I’d probably include In The Night Garden, too…

The absolute scandal here is that It's A Sin didn't even make the top 100. It should be top 10.

Also the first season of Killing Eve is fucking amazing. Yes it goes into free fall thereafter, but that first season should make the list.

4 hours ago, MarkN said:

I'd thought Malcolm in the Middle may have been earlier, but yeah - that should definitely be in there (and high up too). And the IT Crowd is another great shout.

Malcolm in the Middle is among the greatest comedies of all time, if not the greatest really, we're going to have to assume they just forgot about it or that if they find The Big Bang Theory funny they can't be trusted anyway. 

2 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Malcolm in the Middle is among the greatest comedies of all time, if not the greatest really, we're going to have to assume they just forgot about it or that if they find The Big Bang Theory funny they can't be trusted anyway. 

Having rewatched an awful lot of MITM recently, it really is. It's so very good. The odd thing is it doesn't spring to mind when I try to think of my favourite comedies, and I've no idea why. It's absolutely up there. I'm not a big fan of American comedies generally - they tend to go on too long, and you can usually feel the group-think behind the jokes etc. but MITM defies that - it's consistently wonderful. It's probably the one American show I wish there was more of.

As previously stated I haven't watched all the series on the list and while looking up some of those I haven't seen I was surprised that some of them had less than stellar IMDB ratings. I know, I know, IMDB isn't very reliable and a lot of entries are victims of review bombing. 

Series I have seen, though, which isn't on the list but should be, according to me because my taste in entertainment is, of course, applicable to the general viewer* includes Severance (actually in my personal Top 10 but possibly it's too fresh to be included in this list) and Banshee. The latter will most likely be very niche and it's not a very clever story being told but I found it very entertaining. It also has a really high IMDB rating which indicates that the niche that bothered with it really liked it. 

*Might be a lie

The anticipation just before the release of Twin Peaks: The Return (especially after the confirmation that Lynch would direct it all), those first two glorious episodes finally dropping simultaneously and the realization when you watched The Chromatics play Shadow over the credits of the second one that there were 16 more of those coming, is still the single best tv-related "happening" I've ever experienced.

Also, where the FUCK is Too Old to Die Young?!?

On 15/05/2022 at 18:47, Bazjam said:

Probably time to update the rllmuk list, as it must be a fair few years back now, and there’s so much good telly these days.

If there's interest and no one else wants to run with it I am willing to do it. See who the real TV experts are, us lot or the BBC and their Big Bang Theory loving chumps. 

On 16/05/2022 at 12:55, Alex W. said:

I think seeing a few people’s top 10 lists would’ve been more interesting.

If you want to know what 3 of the voters chose when asked by the BBC, listen to this episode of the Pilot TV magazine podcast where they discuss what they personally submitted, not much overlap, even for 3 British people whose job is to get paid to write about and watch TV and films:

https://planetradio.co.uk/podcasts/pilot-tv-podcast/listen/2059305/

It's where I first heard of this list.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2022 at 11:27, Jolly said:

There doesn't seem to be a single quiz show on there which is quite surprising. Can't see any reason they'd be excluded. 

You have to take into account the voting criteria, you only have 10 spots to fill and very few people are ever going to use one of them for a quiz show, as the current rllmuk voting demonstrates with very few people even choosing to allocate a precious vote to that genre of television even when they have 20 spots to fill. Documentaries also don't make most people's Top 10 when push comes to shove.

This list also demonstrates the dominance of English-language and predominately American culture when it comes to appealing TV globally, much like films, but more so.