IGNORED

Gravel - fantastic arcade racer £2.99

dumpster

A search reveals this game never had its own thread?  It's £2.99 in the sale and a recommendation in another thread made me buy it despite me not liking the demo.  

It's not a megabuget triple A game but it's really good fun and I just blew an hour on it, grinning from ear to ear like when I used to play arcade Sega Rally.

It's got a low budget quality that I can't explain.  For example, when you clear a course fireworks go off and you can't help but think, there should be more fireworks. When you splash through the water it's a nice effect but you feel it should be bigger somehow.  The voice over makes it feel like it's a bit more of a budget game than it is. There are video clips of drivers that will make you chuckle.

But it's really, really good fun to play.  I like it a lot.  Unpretentious, fast slidey driving.  As close to Sega Rally as. I've seen.  A no brainer at this price. For £2.99 you get the whole game and season pass, which is £15 on it's own.  Or you can get the game only for £2.49

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

What sale? What platform?

I see 2.49 on Xbox right now. Gonna look at some footage tomorrow, Sega Rally mention got my attention.

Yup, it’s on sale on Xbox. Go for the special edition or whatever it’s called for 2.99 as that has all the DLC included. 

Bought myself but not had chance to play yet. 

7 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

What sale? What platform?

I see 2.49 on Xbox right now. Gonna look at some footage tomorrow, Sega Rally mention got my attention.

2.49 for the game itself, or £2.99 to get the season pack as well.  

Gravel is absolutely brilliant fun. I'm sure there's a thread.

Edit - Maybe not. I remembered posting about it but all I can see is a comment I made in the Hot Wheels thread about how it's by the same lot.

I bought this yesterday because of the mention in the arcade racer thread, put about half an hour in and I loved it too.

The handling is satisfying somehow in a way I never find the Codemasters games, and it looks quite nice too (for an older game costing £3). You need to turn off some assists to get some feel into the handling, its not a pure Ridge style arcade game, but it's clearly not a sim either or aiming to be.

The £3 includes all the extra DLC content too so appears a lot to do.

Scratching all the right itches for me at the moment and can't believe I'd never even heard of it before yesterday.

I seem to remember playing the demo and it being 30fps on Xbox One and not worth the £30 / £40 price tag. Which is why I think it flew under the radar for most people.

But for £3 and 60fps on Bone, it's worth the pick up.

5 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Just jumped in price, I'll give it a shot next sale.

Bit weird that the Xbox browser site didn't seem to mention the sale was ending within a day.

The consistency across their stores is woeful. The dashboard store tells you how many days/hours there is but nowhere else does.

10 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

The consistency across their stores is woeful. The dashboard store tells you how many days/hours there is but nowhere else does.

For sure. Used to seeing it when viewing via the dash, so assumed there'd be some time left to check out some footage and reviews if there wasn't an ending soon prompt. I've definitely seen a time left counter via the browser as well though...

...looking through the current offers in the browser, seems like it might tell you how long's left on a One X / Series X/S title that's on sale, but not on a BC 360 one?

Looks like it. And yep, that's... just kinda dumb, actually. And doesn't explain Gravel, as it's not a 360 game. Huh.

It was £2.99 this morning. 

“I’ll buy that when I get to work”, I thought. By the time I checked, it had gone back to full price. 

29 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Because it ain't fantastic. But at £3 it's worth a look. 

Thread title literally says “fantastic”. :quote:

33 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Because it ain't fantastic. But at £3 it's worth a look. 

That's what I thought.  It was fun for a while, but very forgettable.  I would probably never had thought of it again had it not been for its recent mentions on here.  But at three quid it's a no-brainer.

On 18/05/2022 at 12:17, Popo said:

Thread title literally says “fantastic”. :quote:

I love it, it's great fun! Very slidey, arcadey, I really like it a lot.  As in the OP the gameplay wins where the presentation lets it down.