She-Hulk: Attorney at Law series coming to Disney + 17th August

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Surely the narrative is that she's a lawyer who has to learn to live with being Hulk'd and the trouble and attention that brings. Maybe you want another big CGI fight as narrative?

Maybe you like making things up?

I just find it quite throwaway. It’s enjoyable enough and the runtime definitely helps with that, but I’d much rather have a more meaty storyline than someone trying to steal her brand name to sell beauty products.

I’d rather they be building towards the next Infinity War/Endgame at this point. Up the stakes a bit.

It is fun though and the cast are great, so it’s alright by me.

I enjoyed the recent episode but it did feel like a bit of a dip. I think if I wasn’t shattered post work-week and looking for something easy to watch I may have been more critical. 

The court stuff has always been a bit silly but it felt simplistic to the point of feeling like a cheap 80s sitcom rather than anything else. 

I agree that if there’s a story arc, I don’t know what it is. It doesn’t need to have one but episodes like this will feel very throwaway if not. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Surely the narrative is that she's a lawyer who has to learn to live with being Hulk'd and the trouble and attention that brings. Maybe you want another big CGI fight as narrative?

There’s not really much of an arc, and certainly not a character one. She embraced being a hulk because Abomination told her to own the narrative and now feels attached to the name because she was pissed off at Titania. 

It’s more of “the silly and fun hijinks that come with being a hulk.”

20 minutes ago, JPL said:

I just find it quite throwaway. It’s enjoyable enough and the runtime definitely helps with that, but I’d much rather have a more meaty storyline than someone trying to steal her brand name to sell beauty products.

I’d rather they be building towards the next Infinity War/Endgame at this point. Up the stakes a bit.

I also wish they would change everything about the show that makes it different from the swathe of other Marvel shows.

JPL hardly said change everything about the show. It's just a personal preference on a show he quite likes.

I'm not looking for fight scenes especially in this, we've seen plenty of that...but there does seem to be more of an arc that we haven't seen for a bit - with the wrecking crew etc.

29 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I also wish they would change everything about the show that makes it different from the swathe of other Marvel shows.

And where did I say this? Listen, I enjoy it for the throwaway fun that it is, but personally I’d prefer it if they gave her a bit more to do. Apologies for discussing the show and giving my opinion that oddly seems to be triggering a few of you. I’m glad you’re all enjoying it so much that you feel this way.

"Triggering" :lol:. Alright Ben Shapiro.

Marvel's output is dense with lore, consequences and significant arcs. People who want those things are enormously well catered for. This is just... very intentionally not doing that well-worn stuff.

35 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Marvel's output is dense with lore, consequences and significant arcs. People who want those things are enormously well catered for. This is just... very intentionally not doing that well-worn stuff.

Who’s Ben Shapiro?

Anyway, I know what it is and isn’t doing, but I’ll say it again, I’d prefer it to have a more compelling narrative. Other than that it’s great. Sorry that bothers you so much.

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

I’ve just looked up Ben Shapiro. So, you’re saying I have similar views to him now, is that right? He sees homosexuality as a mental illness, amongst other nonsense. Don’t you think that’s a bit out of order just because I’d like She-Hulk to have a deeper story?

This week's was the weakest so far (how can I be so brave, to say something so controversial?) but I still enjoyed it.

I did spend the first half of the episode yelling "you're a fucking lawyer though!" when Jen didn't seem to have the first clue on how to solve her problem herself.

I like its breezy inconsequential tone. The last thing it needs is a big dramatic punch-up. I do agree that I don't understand if there's going to be some kind of arc. Perhaps it's just a story of the week show. I like those!

It was dragged down by too many convenient references to past episodes. 

In retrospect each felt deliberately placed leading up to this, with a damp squib of a payoff. Especially considering how short the episodes are. The A story this week ends up feeling like a clip show, something I expect was part of the consideration in shifting the origin to the pilot. What if this was only episode 4?

I'm really enjoying this in all its frothiness.  I'm fully expecting a bit more of an arc to turn up at some point, but am also 100% comfortable with it not having any kind of arc.  It'd be a refreshing change, I've seen series after series start off extremely enjoyably before disappointingly getting bogged down in unwanted (by me) overarching high stakes megadrama.

4 hours ago, ilpostino said:

Must you be so willfully obtuse in every single fucking thread you post in?

How am I being obtuse? I got called Ben Shapiro for saying I’d rather She-Hulk have more of a story. Don’t you think that’s a bit much? Why are you attacking me, when someone’s equating me to a right wing nutter?

Also, can you show me all these other threads where I’m being wilfully obtuse, please? I wouldn’t mind seeing the evidence, if this is how you want to portray me.

I think he referred to you as Ben shapiro for saying your opinion on she hulk was "triggering" him...I dunno loads about him but I assume he mis-uses the term (normally triggering, or at least originally - was used to refer to more serious things, like for example seeing a sexual assault on TV might "trigger' a victim of sexual assault, or ptsd in a soldier) the right then twisted the term so I assume that Ben shapiro would say people are "triggered" when really they weren't.

Schmojo isn't triggered by your opinion on she-hulk because there is nothing for that to "trigger", unless, he has a horrific memory connected to mild arguments about television shows.

I don't think he was saying that you have views similar to him in any way.

I assume you just meant that he was getting mildly defensive over your equally mild views on a series that you generally like. schmojo was being really hyperbolic when he was talking about "changing everying" when you just said you'd prefer a bit more of an arc rather than story of the week.

Feels getting close to a thread derail over here which we should probably avoid. You both like the show just have slightly different personal preferences.

Thanks @Delargey, that makes sense. To be honest, I’m not really into extreme political views and always thought triggering just meant upsetting someone. So apologies for that @schmojo. I’m still a bit confused as to why Ben Shapiro was picked, but I can’t be bothered reading about him any more.

Like you say though, my intention wasn’t to derail the thread. I just wanted to give my opinion on its structure and maybe discuss that with others who felt the same. Never mind, I’ll continue to enjoy it in my own way and I hope everyone else does too.

Delargey's got it nailed there. 'Triggering' used in that context has been entirely weaponised by a specific subculture of dickheads, with Ben Shapiro as their global poster boy. It was a word that vulnerable people used to describe their experiences, and was maliciously and intentionally misused to deny and mock those experiences.

Back on topic, I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't see a Shapiro-inspired character in this very series. They'd make for a good antagonist. Although I suppose the misogynistic lawyer has some of his traits.

That was always something Supergirl did really well. For season 2 they introduced a female President (Lynda Carter) expecting like everyone else on the planet that Hilary would win.

We then got 4 years of constant shade being thrown at MAGA knuckle draggers. Villains calling her a “nasty” woman, an episode called “Nevertheless, she persisted” etc.

Plenty of room for this to take up the mantle. 

74382BEA-DE52-4DF5-9030-9582CA6AF47C.jpeg.d66dbabf1eb1ebbe78bf0cdafee44c5b.jpeg

This is a great show but I have no idea what causes there to be several hundred FX people in the credits. Maybe this means they’re doing brilliant work outside the uncanny valley She-Hulk stuff! It’s the lip movements there that don’t work - they really don’t look right (along with her walking in general) and I’m not sure why CG is even needed for that part of Tatiana’s face. Can’t they just… paste her actual lip movements in? 😅

On 15/09/2022 at 21:35, Lorfarius said:

Really? What at? It's just awful. Trying to give it a chance but when someone mentions the likes of Futarama I'm just reminded of so many better things. These writers are terrible.

On 15/09/2022 at 22:21, cassidy said:

What. 

I just..

Are we watching the same thing? 

I agree with Lorfarius it’s not actually that funny. I’m sticking it out until the end of season one, but if it carries on as it is, I won’t be watching season 2.

Why watch something you don't enjoy very much?? Life's too short for that, especially given the amount of choice you have for media consumption.

(I say as someone who seems incapable of not finishing a book, even if I absolutely hate it).

That old chestnut. If the episodes were longer, I probably would quit watching it. I'm not saying it's out and out crap. It's middle of the road fluff, but a lot of people here seem to like it, and I respect that. So given the short running times, I'm willing to go all the way with season one, to see if I come round to liking it. Episodes that are barely 25 minutes is not much of a waste of a life, tbh.

Yeah, I wasnt too excited about a 'wedding bottle episode', but drunk Jen was funny and the whole b-story was interesting.

Spoiler

Plus I wonder if that is meant to be another low-key mutant indication.

Like the whole ending setup too, with

Spoiler

the bad guys appearing to literally be a bunch of incel 8channers.