She-Hulk: Attorney at Law series coming to Disney + 17th August

Yeah, I wasnt too excited about a 'wedding bottle episode', but drunk Jen was funny and the whole b-story was interesting.

Spoiler

Plus I wonder if that is meant to be another low-key mutant indication.

Like the whole ending setup too, with

Spoiler

the bad guys appearing to literally be a bunch of incel 8channers.

4 hours ago, makkuwata said:

Hmm, another episode of The Nikki and She-Hulk show.

Nikki is fun, but I could do with less of her and more of Jen. Or at least pairing her with Jen.

Nikki looked weirdly like Michael Jackson in todays episode when dealing with the ex’s of Immortal Man.

Spoiler

I mean it did warn me at the start of the episode what it was going to be, but I think I was kind of nonplussed with it anyway. Just warning the audience doesn't work as a get out of jail free card or something.

Anyway, was the guy who was hitting on Jen supposed to seem charming? Because he really came across as a bit creepy.

Spoiler

Maybe I took against it was just because it seemed like they made some sort of side-eye at videogames in a weirdly gendered way.

I get the "joke" is that men will look for any excuse to not help out (in this case ironing), but it's still using videogames as a shorthand as something "men" will try to get out of chores with. It seems like such an outdated gag somehow, putting people in their classical gendered stereotype boxes.

I really enjoyed that episodes. My standards are low, but everyone is so lovely. It’s nice to be around them for 30 mins of nonsense. 

One thing annoyed me though.

Spoiler

No actual wedding. Just the post wedding party.  They needed some outside on some whites chairs and a wicker loop thing bit. 

Which is supposed to mean what exactly?

If you're going to accuse someone of being a sexist or misogynist then just do so, but do fuck off with that kind of "not a good look" moralising. As if all discourse has to be modulated by some unspoken adherence to certain appearances rather than the actual context of discussion.

Because all that language does is perpetuate the kind of petty nonsense that you get all over Twitter with people trying to catch people out with various gotchas all the time for no purpose other than to start arguments.

That line rubbed me the wrong way too. It felt liked the writer held that odd perspective and it overruled the reality of the moment, where a mixed gender group would huddle around the Switch and a mixed gender group would have no interest.

2 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

I think the point was to highlight how 'basic' Jenn's old friend was and the kind of traditional gender roles that she has broken away from. More a case of a certain  metropolitan snobbishness than a statement about masculinity.

Bbbbbbingo. The episode, while more entertaining* than last weeks, was choc-ful of gender stereotypes, almost all of them female, so to zero in on a male stereotype and take umbrage is quite laughable. 

Spoiler

It didn't even register for me that they were having a dig at video games, I took no offence at that, and find it quite bizarre that anyone could think that. I just felt sorry for Jen during that scene. 

*I'd still have preferred Jen/She-Hulk doing all the cool lawyering stuff instead of her friends in this episode. These last couple of episodes are undoing the good work of the earlier ones because they're now making Jennifer Walters out to be a bit of a hapless muppet who is only special when she's She-Hulk. 

My issue was

Spoiler

Specifically the having a pop at videogames, that as I said made me personally take against the episode. I wasn't keen on the reliance on any of the gender stereotypes for the jokes in most of the episode in general, but sure, I must be singling out the male stereotype parts because I'm a horrible sexist or something.

6 hours ago, Benny said:

My issue was

Hide contents

Specifically the having a pop at videogames, that as I said made me personally take against the episode. I wasn't keen on the reliance on any of the gender stereotypes for the jokes in most of the episode in general, but sure, I must be singling out the male stereotype parts because I'm a horrible sexist or something.

I don't think you are horrible or anything. Just probably overthinking it a bit.

I don't think the show is suggesting that most men who play videogames are pricks. But the group that this show likes to poke fun at - people who think the world revolves around them and harass women online - that toxic community have a huge contingent of white male videogame players. That's just an unfortunate fact. And it's good to say that I reckon.

I don't think you mean it like at all but it feels a bit #NotAllMen. 

EDIT: I may have misunderstood the bit you are objecting to. If it's the guys playing Switch... I don't really get why that's so bad, they were just being distracted doing a thing.

6 hours ago, Benny said:

My issue was

Hide contents

I don't think the joke part you're objecting to was especially male-centred or about videogames.

Spoiler

Yes, they're sitting round in their vests playing Switch, but it's the bride/bridesmaids who seemed to me to be the villains of the piece - dumping Jen with a dog for a partner, giving her the ironing like that's a wedding job, being really self-centred and focussed on Twilight and landing a man. I think the posse of men were just background material to generate a need for ironing, not something to be observed or noticed. Certainly not their videogame playing.

1 hour ago, NickC said:

I don't think you mean it like at all but it feels a bit #NotAllMen. 

Even the slightest association with that nonsense gets my hackles up even thinking about it.

I think I just interpreted the scene at the time like a weird dig.

It probably wasn't worth raising the criticism to be honest.

On 22/09/2022 at 14:53, makkuwata said:

Hmm, another episode of The Nikki and She-Hulk show.

Nikki is fun, but I could do with less of her and more of Jen. Or at least pairing her with Jen.

Maybe she'll get kidnapped or something and Madysinn will have to fill in for her. 

I'm actually genuinely disappointed that

Spoiler

The show ostensibly about a lawyer and with lawyers doing lawyer stuff hasn't made anything of the fact Madysinn signed her soul away under duress. You can't just set up such a perfect mini plot device like that and not use it. It just feels like a waste.

I think that could have been a million times more interesting than "imagine how much more of an asshole a man could be if he couldn't even die". Answer: exactly as much, just for longer.

Just going by the immediate social media reaction I’d be astonished if they didn’t have the actress in talks by the morning after the episode aired. One of those Sam Jackson “X many appearances across all projects” type deals.

Also

That makes sense, but woah. 6’5.