IGNORED

What is your favorite game?

Nipe

If you ask me now it's Elden Ring. But really I think I need the dust to settle before I truly know if it's replaced this motherfucker. 

rez.jpg.651277b9be0ff734b818047fa974abe6.jpg

On 19/05/2022 at 17:43, sbrandon111 said:

Enslaved : odyssey to the west

Fantastic story and great gameplay (for the time). Streamlined just enough to stop it from being boring or too complicated. 

Its a bloody great game.

Never going to trouble my GOAT list but I did love it at the time and it did Uncharted meets a 3d melee brawler exceptionally well.

I bought it for buttons on PC a while back…probably should replay it

Too many. Rather than favourite game I'm going for most memorable experience and that would be Shadow Of The Colossus. Loved the abstractness of the world the feeling of solitude as you exploded this strange empty land. The feeling of sorrow as I progressed through the experience growing after slaying each colossus. 

Magnificent experience. If you have yet to play make sure you do on the Bluepoint remaster it's a work of art and this game deserves a stable frame rate to do it justice.

10 hours ago, Jolly said:

If you ask me now it's Elden Ring. But really I think I need the dust to settle before I truly know if it's replaced this motherfucker. 

rez.jpg.651277b9be0ff734b818047fa974abe6.jpg

I mean, this looks like Rez. But I can’t place it. Have you changed the colours or something?

38 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

I mean, this looks like Rez. But I can’t place it. Have you changed the colours or something?

It's a bit from Area X in Rez Infinte. 

Impossible but off the top of my head I can probably narrow it down to:

SFIV

Bomb Jack

Galaga

Shaolin’s Road

Puyo Puyo

On another day I would probably swap some of those with H.E.R.O, Turmoil, Pac-Man, Juno First, Dragon’s Fury or Flicky.

I don't know what my answer to this would be, but I wanted to say that @SuperCapes and @Rayn have made my day by highlighting Alundra. I played it pretty much by chance too (my grandad bought me a stack of randomly-selected burnt discs from the local Playstation chipper guy as a birthday present), and I could tell within a couple of hours that it was going to stay with me for a long time. I think, apart from just looking and sounding extremely polished and comfy, it has a lot of unique qualities for an action RPG which really elevate it far above being a simple 'Zelda clone' (I'd argue it isn't interested in Zelda, tbh).

The writing is a cut above most of its contemporaries', with a localisation that largely ditches the usual Working Designs-isms in terms of its sense of humour (although there's still a weed joke in there IIRC), and allows the unusually poignant and sombre stories of its characters to exist on their own terms. It also isn't structured like a Zelda game, never railroading you to the next major objective or dungeon but encouraging your inquisitiveness and desire to poke around. It has a compact map that's incredibly satisfying to navigate and piece together, and which you're never led by the nose through in a gamey manner. Every location has a strong sense of place and history, and there's a rewarding sense of adventure in simply finding and existing in them; the areas aren't just places you traverse to get from one point to the next. The road between each area is always meaningfully obstructed, too, forcing you to engage with the geography and think laterally about how to reach your next goal. This obstruction extends to the puzzles you encounter in the dungeons, which are often far clunkier and more opaque than the puzzles you'd find in a similar game, but all the more conducive to meaningful engagement and thinking - the feeling of achievement on getting through a given dungeon is immense, because you've always had to slow down and think creatively, unable to rely on the semiotics of a typical 'Zelda puzzle' to pull you through.

I had to walk away from this post for an hour and forgot what where I was going with it, so excuse these poorly-linked points, but please play Alundra.

@Klatrymadon This was awesome to read! I had a similar experience obtaining it, and because I was a wee bairn it took me too long to even get off the ship! But when I did we were flying! 

Games to me as a kid (Alundra, FFVII etc) felt like true good Vs evil stories to me, and I was just loving it. As an adult the nuances are even better and give me a similar but more mature view of the content. 

I think another important thing to point out is just the quality of the art in Alundra. It is absolutely a step above 99.9% games in the pixel space, with staggering water animations and just the life in the world. 

I hope it comes to the classic collection on PS Plus, and trophies would be a nice touch, as the game as you said is pretty nails! 

Good times. 

I think for entertaining me for over a decade. Easy to take for granted but it's a humongous effort to create a game that's challenging but has an infinite amount of options.

Edit: Binding of Isaac

tboi-isaac.gif.adb45e720ebd909cae7def786e66fb3a.gif

Hard to say. The best game I have played and my favourite game are totally different. 

Going by hours played my favourite has to be PES 4 or 5.

Then again I can go back to one series and play it every week, every year, for decades and never be bored or annoyed by it. Tetris. 

4 hours ago, Retroid said:

I think for entertaining me for over a decade. Easy to take for granted but it's a humongous effort to create a game that's challenging but has an infinite amount of options.

tboi-isaac.gif.adb45e720ebd909cae7def786e66fb3a.gif

No idea what this is - would be good to include the title.

Phantasy Star Online

Starting with the original on the Dreamcast, then v2, followed by Episode I&II on GameCube and later on Xbox Live or Blue Burst on private servers (in a much more casual manner). I played PSO pretty much every night for several years. It was like nothing I had played before and nothing has been as engrossing since. I took time off work to play PSO. It’s the reason I joined edge forums and then rllmuk. Memories of playing PSO pop into my head at random points in my day just like memories of real life events. The music instantly takes me back to a point in my life when I was young and life was simple.  

Breath of the Wild has given it a real run for its money over the past five years and it’s possible it will surpass PSO in years to come when I can look back on it, as my kids have all grown up watching or playing it with me. Time will tell. 

-edit-

and Phantasy Star Universe was probably my biggest gaming disappointment.