Derry Girls

Smoothy

Haven't watched the last season yet, but the first two were terrific. Sister Michael is one of the sitcom GOATs for definite. My daughter (11) actually went for it in a big way the last month or two.

4 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Keep meaning to watch this. How rude is it? Wondering if it’s something my 12 year old daughter would like.

It holds very little back with the language and its more mature than most shows focussed on 'teens' so hard one to judge. I imagine she would really enjoy it, but then you would be fighting against the imprint the show leaves on her for several months afterwards :) 

The wife and I watched the final episodes last night. Admittedly this final season hasn't been as consistently great as the first 2 seasons but its still fantastic stuff. The way it balances the emotional and very real, historical elements of it alongside the humour is done so well. I was hoping for one last moment between Joe and Gerry like the end of Season 1 but what we got was a well rounded and nicely tied up finale. Sister Michael needs her own show!

Oh and a mention has to go to the soundtrack. Never an opportunity missed on the use of absolute classics!

8 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Keep meaning to watch this. How rude is it? Wondering if it’s something my 12 year old daughter would like.

I'm ok with my 11 year old watching it, but YMMV. Lots of swearing and bad behaviour, teenage drinking, sex talk (but no sex iirc). It's also slightly useful as a bit of education on Northern Ireland. I would imagine for some viewers living in England, it's the only bit of education they'll get on Northern Ireland, so that's a positive. 

18 minutes ago, Festoon said:

It's got pretty strong language, even though it's a fairly gentle comedy. Lots of 'fucks'.

Mainly from Michelle :lol:

11 minutes ago, Don Rosco said:

I'm ok with my 11 year old watching it, but YMMV. Lots of swearing and bad behaviour, teenage drinking, sex talk (but no sex iirc). It's also slightly useful as a bit of education on Northern Ireland. I would imagine for some viewers living in England, it's the only bit of education they'll get on Northern Ireland, so that's a positive. 

Yeah especially from this man:

Spoiler

It's a crying shame, no scandalous, that this (and Irish history in general) isn't more prominently taught in schools more in the UK.

1 hour ago, Smoothy said:

It's a crying shame, no scandalous, that this (and Irish history in general) isn't more prominently taught in schools more in the UK.

It is though. My daughter got two lots of homework (one from History, one from Drama) just this week about it. Across the Barricades is still a core text for GCSE. The conflict is dealt with in PSHE-type subjects (different schools call it stuff like Social Studies, Citizenship, etc.). The border "issues" are part of the Geography curriculum. The divide is a major part of RE lessons covering Catholic/Protestant differences and clashes. Irish War of Independence is a topic in GCSE History.

Perhaps some schools don't do this, but I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

This series was my first proper go at it, and I really enoyed. I will have to go back and watch the others, especially if this is considered the weakest. 

I loved the first two seasons of this. I think LG have fallen out with Channel 4, though, so I haven't watched the latest season. Which is stupid because I keep forgetting that I can get the app for PS5 or Xbox.

Series 3 was really uneven, and suffered quite a bit I think from having two of the cast members fading into the background (Siobhán McSweeney being on crutches throughout, and Nicola Coughlan being in Bridgerton). But - damn, that finale was really good.

Every Irish Catholic family has a Colm :lol:

Just watched the finale and, sadly, it's still a nosedive for me. The Protestant/Catholic blackboard in series 2 was a standout gag in a show full of good ones, but for large portions of this series I found it hard to raise a smirk. Whether it's the pandemic-induced three-year gap, the difficulty in getting all the cast together which relegated Claire somewhat, deliberate changes, or even just me - it didn't feel quite like the show it once was.

That said, it wasn't without merit.

Spoiler

"You can be British, you can be Irish, or you can be bi" is a cracking line.

11 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Mainly from Michelle :lol:

Yeah especially from this man:

Reveal hidden contents

Long time ago now but we read this in school. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0140311327/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_0PDHFJMRVKDWZ7D54PKB

It's fiction but tells a good story. I read it again a few months ago to see what it thought. Got quite emotional about it. 

Didn't hugely enjoy the last series but the special last episode was excellent, I thought.

Some good laughs and good points.

Edit: Also, take the last ep and shove it up Truss, Davis and Johnson's holes.

It’s alright, in the same way most C4 comedy is alright, but hardly compelling watching. It’s as good as Hullraisers for sure, but less interesting than We Are Lady Parts, say, and not even in the same universe as the great original C4 stuff like Drifters, Phoneshop, Pulling, Spaced et al.

We watch an episode every now and again, but find if you watch more than two in a row the gags feel exactly the same. The sit elevates it plenty but you can’t get past the samey writing if you binge it, you need to stretch it out so it feels a bit fresher.

It’s no better than Dead Pixels, and that’s basically all over the shop in terms of the writing. But you do seem to get a bit more variety with that show. 

I was wondering what you were all on about with the last episode - I thought Halloween was the last one, being episode 6, and didn't realise there was another, so I thought the whole thing had ended rather abruptly.

I, too, had thought series 3 was a lot weaker - the first 2 series were great because it managed to juxtapose the everyday lives of teenage girls with the situation in Northern Ireland, and whilst I've never been a teenage girl or Northern Irish, I feel it managed to portray both really well. The third series, whilst still funny, has just descended into stupid characters doing silly things, and unless the final episode does anything with them, there are a lot of plot threads that got started and went nowhere, Mary going to uni being an example.

Anyway, even if three is a dip for the series, the whole thing is superb - it should be considered essential viewing for anyone that hasn't watched it yet. 

33 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Where are you meant to be able to watch this? Netflix were meant to have bought it but they're only showing the first season, had to yarr the second and I can't find the third at all.

Are you in the UK? It's all on More4 which is free.