IGNORED

RIP Vangelis

Blunted

Sad news indeed. I think my introduction to Vangelis was around the age of 13, when Pete Tong played Blade Runner End Titles as part of a classics show - soon after that I picked up the CD soundtrack and then probably the film too. He has a vast discography to explore and there's been something wonderful or interesting on everything I've checked out so far. His music was filled with such beauty and emotion. Soil Festivities is a personal favourite - I was listening just yesterday in fact. I also just took receipt of the China album on CD today. May he rest in peace with the shimmering moon for company.

I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it
Among the flowers, we are always three
Counting my shadow and my friend
The shimmering moon
Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking
And my shadow is never thirsty, when I sing
The moon listens to me in silence
When I dance, my shadow dances too
After all festivities the guests must depart
This sadness I do not know
When I go home, the moon goes with me
And my shadow follows me

An absolute master of his art. It's hard to imagine something like Bladerunner without the extraordinary work he put in to the soundtrack. I do think a lot of his work didn't quite fit in with the genres of films he was hired for - the most bizarre one being his score for 1492:Conquest of Paradise. The actual soundtrack is absolutely brilliant, but I thought it was wholly wrong for the film. But, I've always thought that about Chariots of Fire too, so I'm probably wrong really!

But...he (and Jarre) made my 80s a wholly synth decade and it's something I'll always be profoundly grateful for! 

32 minutes ago, JoeK said:

1492:Conquest of Paradise.

That was a fucking strange film in general though. I haven't seen it since its VHS release in 1993 but it has stuck with me for some reason. I just remember being puzzled by its very existence. It was probably the first time I realised that Ridley Scott could be turning out masterpieces one moment then steaming fetid turds the next.

1 hour ago, acidbearboy said:

Sad news indeed. I think my introduction to Vangelis was around the age of 13, when Pete Tong played Blade Runner End Titles as part of a classics show - soon after that I picked up the CD soundtrack and then probably the film too. He has a vast discography to explore and there's been something wonderful or interesting on everything I've checked out so far. His music was filled with such beauty and emotion. Soil Festivities is a personal favourite - I was listening just yesterday in fact. I also just took receipt of the China album on CD today. May he rest in peace with the shimmering moon for company.

I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it
Among the flowers, we are always three
Counting my shadow and my friend
The shimmering moon
Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking
And my shadow is never thirsty, when I sing
The moon listens to me in silence
When I dance, my shadow dances too
After all festivities the guests must depart
This sadness I do not know
When I go home, the moon goes with me
And my shadow follows me

That’s one of the ones I’d picked out for a Vangelis remembrance tomorrow…a lovely album.

F3C587A5-DC17-4A7C-A229-2B12D980EF46.thumb.jpeg.8a5d2765bcb1ae45a8619cce60de2a8c.jpeg

His hometown was Volos, I have a friend who teaches at the University of Athens from Volos. He told me that in the late 2000s Vangelis used to have an open house for cultural types to stay/live in his house for free in exchange for creating. RIP chap, eccentric and living in another world right till the end I imagine.