IGNORED

Exoprimal - EDF with Dinosaurs?

gossi the dog

Capcom a few months ago announced Exoprimal. Dinosaurs are falling from the sky and only you can save humanity or something. From the brief video below it looks a bit like EDF but with dinosaurs. Looks promising. Due out next year.

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's pretty shameless lol. The four character classes are identical to edf!

Buuuut if this is as fun as EDF then I'm all for it of course:)

I thought EDF was just soldiers shooting guns and rockets? Didn’t realise it had classes. 

EDF but with dinosaurs

I think a more promising pitch for this would be "EDF with talent and a budget".

Looks a little bit formulaic to me, but I trust in Capcom.

14 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I thought EDF was just soldiers shooting guns and rockets? Didn’t realise it had classes. 

EDF is the most fun you can have in videogames. And yes it has the same 4 character classes you see in that trailer. And loads of ridiculous over the top inventive weapons that you can collect and experiment with beyond rifle and rockets.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

EDF is the most fun you can have in videogames.

Truer words have never been spoken. EDF basically IS videogames! Absolutely everything I want from them, and giving this template to Capcom can only lead to something glorious.

Just now, CheekyLee said:

Truer words have never been spoken. EDF basically IS videogames! Absolutely everything I want from them, and giving this template to Capcom can only lead to something glorious.

It certainly is videogames in their purest form. Everything besides the gameplay fun is purely functional. Fun factor is maxed out, all the other aspects are in service to the fun. It's pure videogames. 

Gotta say, I like the idea of a higher budget EDF, but I'm very wary of the trailer's suggestion that they're going to try and throw some sort of plot and characterisation into the mix. I can't see that do anything but hurt the formula.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Capcom

Dinosaurs

But not Dinocrisis

😔

This looks batshit crazy and right up my street…. But, for the love of God,  just give us a new Dinocrisis, Capcom!!! 

I was watching a Dinocrisis retrospective on YouTube the other day and they had the audacity to say 2 was a worse game than 1...well, I just stopped watching the video right there. 1 was good, 2 was superb. And 3?

There was no Dinocrisis 3.

If this doesn't allow you to destroy and collapse every single building then it will never be near the greatness of EDF!

Exoprimal_Logo.png

mv.jpg

The year is 2040...

Sudden dinosaur outbreaks have engulfed the globe in a crisis that threatens humanity's very existence.

Yet all hope is not lost. The corporation Aibius has developed a hyper-advanced AI called Leviathan that can predict the location of future outbreaks.
This technology, along with Aibius's revolutionary powered suits, or exosuits, gives humanity a fighting chance to stem the tide of the saurian swarms.
Exosuit pilots, otherwise known as exofighters, are in high demand.
Take the exofighter aptitude test and join the ranks of Aibius's heroic pilots in their fight to stave off the extinction of the human race.

Exoprimal is an online, team-based action game that pits humanity's cutting-edge exosuit technology against history's most ferocious beasts!

Exosuits are grouped into different roles, and players will pilot these exosuits to hold firm against overwhelming dinosaur swarms in online-only, team-based action game modes. Dino Survival, the main game mode, sees two teams of five players compete in a variety of PvE and PvP missions.
Players will be transported to the scene of the latest dinosaur outbreak and follow Leviathan's guidance to complete objectives.
The team that completes the mission first will emerge victorious. Whether players are engaging the other team directly, or fighting alongside them against a common enemy, the aim is to accomplish objectives as quickly as possible. Missions vary depending on player skill and other factors, meaning no two matches will unfold the same way.

exoprimal-annonce-state-of-play-dinosaur

Cripes; how did I miss this one? Looks really great!

Being directed by a guy heavily involved in MH Generations should make for one sweet action game.

I wonder how smooth it'll run on last-gen consoles though. Expected some time next year.

8P0l7LX.png

On 21/05/2022 at 11:51, Doctor Shark said:

Capcom

Dinosaurs

But not Dinocrisis

No Cadillacs either...

Seriously though, this looks like a MH game for the masses. What with emphasis on squad based combat straight out of TF; huge monsters that have been replaced by vanilla dinosaurs to make it more accessible for everyone and their gran, as opposed to the more outlandish designs in the MH series. 

Combat seems to be a lot less complex as well. But all-out action seems to be the focus of the game, and from the trailer I'd say they might be doing more than a good job.

4 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

No Cadillacs either...

Seriously though, this looks like a MH game for the masses. What with emphasis on squad based combat straight out of TF; huge monsters that have been replaced by vanilla dinosaurs to make it more accessible for everyone and their gran, as opposed to the more outlandish designs in the MH series. 

Combat seems to be a lot less complex as well. But all-out action seems to be the catch of the game, and from the trailer I'd say they might be doing more than a good job.

Well, that's all my hype and interest crushed like Hulk accidentally sitting on Ant-Man :(

I hope it turns out to be an EDF-like instead but now I'm not so sure anymore :(

7 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

No Cadillacs either...

Combat seems to be a lot less complex as well. But all-out action seems to be the catch of the game, and from the trailer I'd say they might be doing more than a good job.

It looks like a pure EDF clone, but with more complex mechanics.

It looks stupid as hell.

I'm in day one.

Love Capcom. They're one of the few developers that still embrace the full understanding that games, are games.

17 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

It looks like a pure EDF clone, but with more complex mechanics.

It looks stupid as hell.

I'm in day one.

Love Capcom. They're one of the few developers that still embrace the full understanding that games, are games.

I'm not so sure anymore. It would totally be a pure Capcom thing to make an "EDF clone but as a Monster Hunter" game. And I can see that working very well - it just wouldn't be for me anymore.

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Well, that's all my hype and interest crushed like Hulk accidentally sitting on Ant-Man :(

I hope it turns out to be an EDF-like instead but now I'm not so sure anymore :(

It doesn’t look or sound anything like Monster Hunter. Literally nothing about it other than there are dinosaurs. Don’t panic. 

8 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

It doesn’t look or sound anything like Monster Hunter. Literally nothing about it other than there are dinosaurs. Don’t panic. 

I didn't mean this is supposed to be a cheap MH surrogate, but more like a stepping stone intended to get more casual gamers interested into hunting big monsters.

I thought Monster Hunter World was already the MH for the masses. ;) 

I don't play hunting games, but I don't mind aspects of hunting gameplay. The older MHs on PSP were offputting to me as they just threw so many systems and tutorials at the player - but when I played the World beta (I never picked up the full game) the learning curve seemed smoother. And there are other things with stripped-down hunting aspects that I've enjoyed a lot (Freedom Wars, or that one season of Destiny 2. :P ) So I wouldn't mind a bit of hunting if it was gentle on casuals like me.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I didn't mean this is supposed to be a cheap MH surrogate, but more like a stepping stone intended to get more casual gamers interested into hunting big monsters.

That's fair - I was mostly trying to calm poor @Mr. Gerbik waily waily doom mongering :lol:

11 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

It also doesn't particularly sound anything like EDF either. I'm imagining something closer to L4D or some more recent co-op online shooters with whatever unique gimmicks this will have to set it apart (Always 5 Vs 5 team online play with evolving PvE or PvP gameplay objectives set by the ingame AI and instant role-changing with a cooldown penalty). It is its own unique beast from the sound of things.