IGNORED

Depression and collecting games

On 25/05/2022 at 09:26, zipper said:

I'm in the same position. After commuting for 20 years, I've been exclusively working from home for the past couple of years, with no sign of that changing.

Puzzle and strategy games have always helped settle my mind, but it's taking up ice skating / hockey that has genuinely helped me most. 2 or 3 times a week I take myself to the local rink for and I get myself physically knackered and practice / have a lesson. There's a bunch of other people to catch up with and everyone encourages each other. If I weren't breaking my working week up with this.. replacing the work commute and banter... I'd be finding it hard.

I’ve been WFH since January 2016. I used to live taking my dog out three times a day to break the monotony up. Occasionally I’d spread a single joint out across the entire day. It was lovely. My wife isn’t too keen on another dog, so I started Judo again after my four year old son nearly flipped me down the stairs. It’s been great so far, but I just wish I had the time to fit some weight lifting in between to gain both mass and strength.

I’m not depressed, but the thought of collecting old games certainly sends me that way. I can’t imagine much more fruitless.

I've started running and listening to the Back Page Podcast and that's helped to boost my mood somewhat.

I've been playing some actual games too, having completed Fragile Dreams, Geometry Wars and Beatles Rockband (after borrowing a guitar as the one I bought was busted).

Indiana Jones And The Infernal Machine is up next and so far I'm enjoying it. Seems impossibly ambitious for the N64 and it's proven to be quite the distracting. Going to start watching all the Jurassic Park films this week in preparation for Dominion. I find keeping myself occupied is helping at the moment.

I've also put something up about a Bournemouth meet for later in the year as well.

1 hour ago, strider said:

Fragile Dreams

Great game that was. Amazing atmosphere. Couldn't resist selling my copy though as I ordered it for around £17 from Play.com when it was a new release and it was quite a lot more valuable last time I looked.

4 minutes ago, Hambury said:

Such a good thread topic, thanks for starting it.

I've often wondered if nostalgia itself is a good thing or a bad thing? I love looking back at the past and wearing those rose tinted glasses. All my old Nintendo games are on a shelf next to me right now, just galancing at them brings back great childhood memories. Flicking through old gaming magazines gives me the same sort of buzz too. On the whole I think the nostalgia is a positive thing in my life but I'm somewhat envious of the people who just look forward and don't linger on anything from the past.

I think I've been lucky enough to avoid depression but I certainly buy stuff to feel better. Plus I get a buzz from thinking I'm getting a bargain when I see the silly prices of SNES and N64 games these days (FOMO I guess). I just bought a batch of Wii and Wii U games because they seemed so cheap. I do at least work from a list of games I do want to buy and play ('the list'), rather than just buying for the sake of it.

Time is a thing though. I remember sitting in a pub in Oxford and they had a bunch of books on one wall. I remember thinking in that moment that I would never read that many books in my life (at the rate I read), so pick wisely. That thought has stuck with me but I'm not sure I act on it enough.

I would class myself as a happily introvert but I definitely see the value of being with people (it's not what you like as such, just where you gain energy from right?). As a manager, it's much harder to lead a team and understand people over virtual meetings. I get the benefits and believe in a hyrbid world but there's something to be said for being with people (even if it's just the general noise of the office).

Then there's the value of what you do. When should you have a sense of satisfaction of a job well done (RetroGamer is great by the way)? I do a job that is pretty hard to define what good looks like. We did a team event once that involved doing some manual labour in the local area for charity. It was nothing like my day job but I got a massive sense of satisfaction from it because I could very much see what we had achieved by the end of the day. Not something I get from my usual work.

None of this really helps when your stuck in a bad place though (even having that awareness of knowing where you are), I often find that time simply passing by helps but that's such a passive solution. Hopefully talking it through and bouncing ideas around helps though, there's been some great thoughts and sharing in this thread.

Just wanted to pipe in and say that this is a wonderful post.  Oh, and also that It bears repeating that @strider does great work for RetroGamer each month.

On 26/05/2022 at 23:02, Haribokart said:

@strider I would love to go for casual walks with you along the beach or whatever, my bullshit level is equal to your cousin Matt so if you can tolerate him you can tolerate me except I'm way geekier - my problem is I am super unreliable right now and would feel bad as I can't commit to shit and can't really do shit for more than ten minutes without needing to rest. If I get better I'd totally be up for it though as well as @Protocol Penguin if we can rope him in. Fair few others on the forum from around Bournemouth too, surprisingly. Hopefully @marsh would be up for it too if he's ever working down here again in the future, love that twat.

Is Matt supposed to be me?

On 26/05/2022 at 23:02, Haribokart said:

@strider I would love to go for casual walks with you along the beach or whatever, my bullshit level is equal to your cousin Matt so if you can tolerate him you can tolerate me except I'm way geekier - my problem is I am super unreliable right now and would feel bad as I can't commit to shit and can't really do shit for more than ten minutes without needing to rest. If I get better I'd totally be up for it though as well as @Protocol Penguin if we can rope him in. Fair few others on the forum from around Bournemouth too, surprisingly. Hopefully @marsh would be up for it too if he's ever working down here again in the future, love that twat.

Is Matt supposed to be me?

I’ve been very fortunate to mostly always have good mental health. However I do have my moments, and retro gaming is one of the things that can nip at it. I absolutely love buying games, every pay day is excitement. I build up to it a few days before looking at what I might want etc. Where it falls down for me is when I see a bargain, even if that bargain is a well priced copy of a bloody expensive game. It happened to me today, I’d pretty much spent my fun money for the month, but looking at Yahoo Auctions for a cheap Mega Drive game or two I see Elevator Action Returns for way below normal price, only 13 minutes to go. I put in a bid I’d be delighted to win it at, and 13 minutes later I’d won and that money is being removed from my account. This is something I often do, overspend a little. It’s not exactly destructive to my finances, but it does bother me. It’s a catch 22 though, I’d be kicking myself if didn’t bid, and now I’m annoyed at myself for bidding. As long as it stays where it is now it’s fine, I will just stop looking at stuff. If I didn’t stop looking though I might see something else I really want and then it could become an issue.

As for WFH, I’m starting to miss working from the office. I do like WFH but I could do with going in once a week really. The problem for me is organising it so anyone else is there. I’ve been in a couple of times and nobody else from my team has been there and that’s worse than being at home for me. What I miss is just chatting with others, whether it’s about work or anything else.

Kudos to @strider for bringing up such a topic. It’s certainly something I can relate to.

I’ve suffered from anxiety and interim bouts of depression most of my life and I find myself ‘collecting’ retro when I’m at my lowest. For me It’s a simple coping mechanism and I know exactly why I end up doing it which is quite simple………back in the days of the Saturn/PS1/N64 life was much simpler. Gaming was enjoyable and one of my main sources of ‘happiness’ back then. Whether it was pizza nights with friends and 4 player goldeneye or getting excited with the latest import Saturn games. No cares or worries in the world!!

Then you grow up and life hits with you everything. Friends die, family pass away, money, mortgages, relationship, work, all of which cause stress, anxiety and low moods. So the body’s natural reaction is to try to ‘flee’ and return to times when life was happy. Sadly it’s only a short term release and it doesn’t really help in the long run.

For @strider and anyone else who’s struggling just reach out. I for one am more than happy to spend an hour or so having a chat/catch-up/meet up with anyone who’s struggling with life.

PS, hope the Saturn skeleton is still doing well :)

1 hour ago, phillv85 said:

It happened to me today, I’d pretty much spent my fun money for the month, but looking at Yahoo Auctions for a cheap Mega Drive game or two I see Elevator Action Returns for way below normal price, only 13 minutes to go. I put in a bid I’d be delighted to win it at, and 13 minutes later I’d won and that money is being removed from my account. This is something I often do, overspend a little. It’s not exactly destructive to my finances, but it does bother me. It’s a catch 22 though, I’d be kicking myself if didn’t bid, and now I’m annoyed at myself for bidding. As long as it stays where it is now it’s fine, I will just stop looking at stuff. If I didn’t stop looking though I might see something else I really want and then it could become an issue.

This is what I do. I have found that when I do go over budget I can ease any regret I have by actually playing the game in question. I tend to stop looking at ebay as well because it leads to further spending which mires me further. Indy looks like it will take most of June to complete. It’s massive 😂😂😂

It all falls down for me there. I buy the games one month through a proxy in Japan then shop them and pay the fees and duty the next. I won’t be playing these games until the end of June 🤕.

Sounds like Indy is a blast at least. I doubt I’ll ever try it out due it having such a weird release.

1 hour ago, phillv85 said:

It all falls down for me there. I buy the games one month through a proxy in Japan then shop them and pay the fees and duty the next. I won’t be playing these games until the end of June 🤕.

Sounds like Indy is a blast at least. I doubt I’ll ever try it out due it having such a weird release.

I've often thought of trying that. Seems like a good way to save money in the long term and you have something to look forward to, which is a nice distraction in itself.

7 hours ago, strider said:

I've often thought of trying that. Seems like a good way to save money in the long term and you have something to look forward to, which is a nice distraction in itself.

I must admit the anticipation of getting the games is a great distraction. It's probably worth doing once in a while, you can get some bargains, but really you need to ship quite a few things back in one go to really take advantage of the savings, otherwise the shipping just kills any discount. It's fun though and you get access to a lot more stuff, often in far better condition than we see over here. It definitely keeps the purchase buzz going quite a bit longer as well if it's that you enjoy (it is for me).

14 hours ago, Jei said:

Then you grow up and life hits with you everything. Friends die, family pass away, money, mortgages, relationship, work, all of which cause stress, anxiety and low moods. So the body’s natural reaction is to try to ‘flee’ and return to times when life was happy. Sadly it’s only a short term release and it doesn’t really help in the long run.

This is the point where nostalgia becomes damaging - when it becomes an escape that stops you from dealing with the now. As you get older it becomes clear why so many older people yearn for the past - 'simpler' just means 'I was paying attention so understood it'; 'better' means 'I've cherry picked the best bits and these cannot ever change, no mistakes can be made'; and 'what is retro' means a decades-long, multi-forum argument.

tl;dr - Old is easy cos you know what happened. New is hard cos you don't know what's coming.

23 hours ago, phillv85 said:

I’ve been very fortunate to mostly always have good mental health. However I do have my moments, and retro gaming is one of the things that can nip at it. I absolutely love buying games, every pay day is excitement. I build up to it a few days before looking at what I might want etc. Where it falls down for me is when I see a bargain, even if that bargain is a well priced copy of a bloody expensive game. It happened to me today, I’d pretty much spent my fun money for the month, but looking at Yahoo Auctions for a cheap Mega Drive game or two I see Elevator Action Returns for way below normal price, only 13 minutes to go. I put in a bid I’d be delighted to win it at, and 13 minutes later I’d won and that money is being removed from my account. This is something I often do, overspend a little. It’s not exactly destructive to my finances, but it does bother me. It’s a catch 22 though, I’d be kicking myself if didn’t bid, and now I’m annoyed at myself for bidding. As long as it stays where it is now it’s fine, I will just stop looking at stuff. If I didn’t stop looking though I might see something else I really want and then it could become an issue.

This happens to me with my trading card collecting. I simply have to not hit up that search bar on ebay, and absolutely not have saved search alerts switched on (I just run them manually when I know I have money to buy whatever I may find, if anything).

I had another wobble over the weekend and stress bought another expensive N64 game. I've really been enjoying Indy and I'd been chatting about it with a friend who completed a ROM of it a while back. That's certainly been a nice distraction lately.

Im trying to be constructive:

sure I bought a 1TB SSD for an old

ps4 I’ve got laying around, which will probably NEVER be used,  but the 500GB from that is going into a Dell 6220 with a knackered drive.

3 hours ago, strider said:

I had another wobble over the weekend and stress bought another expensive N64 game. I've really been enjoying Indy and I'd been chatting about it with a friend who completed a ROM of it a while back. That's certainly been a nice distraction lately.

Don't worry, you aren't alone...I bought a £50 Pokemon card from a set I don't even collect over the weekend. Saw somebody post a picture of it on their IG, absolutely adored the art, and stupidly searched it out on ebay. Do we ever learn.

Good thread, strider.

I’ve had some horrific periods in my life. I’ve suffered from quite severe depression since the age of 14 and it’s sent to some pretty dark places. I’m quite obsessive as a person and I have been known to attempt to ‘buy’ my way out of those dark places by going on a mini collection spree. Like many say, it’s pretty fruitless. 

I took up pottery about 7 years ago when I was going through a very bleak period and it really helped me out a lot. Going somewhere at designated times. Being covered in clay meant the phone was off limits and I met a lot of different people I would never ordinarily have spoken to. Plus, the act of making something with your hands and slowly progressing your skill levels and accomplishment of using the thing you made and realising you did all that. That’s cool. It’s also quite inline with why I like games. 

on a similar note, I also have an allotment that I’ve had for around 10 years. It’s a similar kind of vibe I guess. That place has saved me a lot of times. The cyclical nature of it sowing the seeds in the spring and watching that story unfold over the summer and into autumn. It’s kind of amazing to be able to learn and master these skills in my opinion. Spending half an hour at the allotment and completing a few tasks and picking some stuff. That resets any bad shit that I’ve got going on.

Like most people here, I’m a natural introvert but speaking to my old mad allotment neighbour about plant related stuff is quite good. It’s somewhat superficial but that’s fine. I like that. I think I’ve accidentally chosen a couple of the classically soul-soothing hobbies which is lucky. Games are great but I don’t think they should be all encompassing. Doing other activities on the side - and especially ones that involve a ‘long game’ approach can really offset the sadness. I always have something on the distant horizon to look forward to - could be the results of a glaze firing or testing a lemon squeezer I made and realising it functions well, or just seeing that seed I planted come to fruition in late September with a massive pumpkin (or 10). And then wondering how in the fuck I will make use of 10 pumpkins! Plot twist: cut them into wedges, bake them with oil, cumin seeds, smoked paprika, garlic and season. 

just my opinion of course. Everyone finds their own way. I hope you get some ease from this Strider. However bad you feel, these things do pass (sorry if that comes across as a platitude)

Having just gone through a very tough week I am resisting the urge to:

- buy stuff as a pick-me-up, especially when Evercade mailed to say the new limited edition is nearly sold out

- sell stuff as a knee-jerk reaction to being low on funds

I do know I have bought myself “presents” in the past, like the Xbox 360 when I was newly diagnosed with Crohns.

But I need to keep things stable for a while.